Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,078 times

Advertisements

Hello All
My wife is down in Charlotte and getting ready to come home tuesday after house hunting. She looked at 25 house and didn't like any of them except one out of our price range (170,000 max) The areas in question are Waterlyn(she like the new home option ALOT) I just read tha it is next to a bad community. Fort Mill/Rock Hill/ Clover/ Lake Wylie/Steel Creek. Hree are some questions for the wise.
Are house built by Davis Home good?
Should I build or buy used? (Davis Homes has 10k back or upgrade or closeing cost plus 8k from goverment)
Has anyone heard of Waterlynn,NC and is it a good town/area to raise biracial kid (sorry just had to ask :crazy

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googus View Post
Hello All
My wife is down in Charlotte and getting ready to come home tuesday after house hunting. She looked at 25 house and didn't like any of them except one out of our price range (170,000 max) The areas in question are Waterlyn(she like the new home option ALOT) I just read tha it is next to a bad community. Fort Mill/Rock Hill/ Clover/ Lake Wylie/Steel Creek. Hree are some questions for the wise.
Are house built by Davis Home good?
Should I build or buy used? (Davis Homes has 10k back or upgrade or closeing cost plus 8k from goverment)
Has anyone heard of Waterlynn,NC and is it a good town/area to raise biracial kid (sorry just had to ask :crazy

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Greg

Waterlyn is a neighborhood in the Steele Creek community of southwest Charlotte. It is very convenient to retail and the elementary school. It is close however to another neighborhood with a high rate of foreclosures. I am not sure how that is affecting nearby property values, but there is petty crime in the area (though that happens in lots of places in Charlotte).

Whether you buy new or used, you can still get the $8000 tax credit.

A bi-racial child is no big deal in Charlotte, though one or two ignorant apples can be found in any bunch .

Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Did you wife see the Sandy Point neighborhood? Or Avery Lake? You can buy existing homes or get a new one in those neighborhoods in Fort Mill in your price range

Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,078 times
I am not 100% sure where she looked but I do know she looked at 30 homes in 3 days. She is on her way back today and she is the type of person that knows what she likes and out of the places she saw that was it (based on eyesight) not un-bias info I can receive here. The builder is giving back 10 K that we can put to use with upgrade/closing or just on the final price of the house and then the 8K back form the goverment if I make up my mind in the 2 week deline so we can close before June30th..

As some of you know (for me anyway) it is very nerve racking moving your family a couple of states away with all the uncertanty. But I have have been tryiing to get out of NJ for years and when I sold my house in November I don't really have too much of a choice now.

Are taxes alot more in NC than SC?

Thanks a bunch
Greg

Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 13,267 times
nc schools are much better than sc schools. sc has some of the worst in the country. even are taxes are a little less, you get what you pay for.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburnsye21 View Post
nc schools are much better than sc schools. sc has some of the worst in the country. even are taxes are a little less, you get what you pay for.
On average that is true. However, FORT MIIL, SC schools are all excellent, and in some cases better than some in Charlotte.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googus View Post
I am not 100% sure where she looked but I do know she looked at 30 homes in 3 days. She is on her way back today and she is the type of person that knows what she likes and out of the places she saw that was it (based on eyesight) not un-bias info I can receive here. The builder is giving back 10 K that we can put to use with upgrade/closing or just on the final price of the house and then the 8K back form the goverment if I make up my mind in the 2 week deline so we can close before June30th..

As some of you know (for me anyway) it is very nerve racking moving your family a couple of states away with all the uncertanty. But I have have been tryiing to get out of NJ for years and when I sold my house in November I don't really have too much of a choice now.

Are taxes alot more in NC than SC?

Thanks a bunch
Greg
I just hope she had a good realtor and didn't miss any places you would have preferred. Taxes in SC are a bit lower, but it's not like it's a HUGE difference. Considering where you are coming from you'll be very pleased I think with NC's real estate taxes

Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM

285 posts, read 800,462 times
if you want new, I'd look for inventory homes. there seems to be a good amount of wiggle room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: