Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:47 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

I read this article on WCNC.com and found it rather unsettling:
Historic fire station may be demolished | Charlotte News, Weather, Traffic, Sports WCNC.com | Charlotte News

I was annoyed that this guy wants to tear down this particular building, but at first read, I was more annoyed that the Historic Commission is REQUIRED to approve his plan!

I want to look into this a little deeper to understand what's going on here. Something seems "out of whack" with the whole premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I believe it all comes down to the Historic Commission not being able to delay the sale any longer - their year is up. If the developer would accept the $$$ he is being offered, then that would be the end of that. But since the Historic Commission cannot meet his price (and I guess it is a reasonable price based on comps of land in that area) . . . there is nothing more the commission can do to save the building. The developer wants more $$$ and if I understood correctly, the commission is saying the public would have to step in and essentially do a fundraiser (or maybe it meant - convince the city to use more tax dollars to buy the building).

I could be wrong - but that is how I interpreted the article. I have worked with historic commissions in the past, but not in Charlotte. We tried to keep an historic Queen Anne house from being torn down to make way for road widening. We were unsuccessful. I still get sick every time I see the corner where that splendid house stood. :-(

Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM

23 posts, read 34,571 times
Yes, the charlotte mecklenburg historic landmarks commission did make a fair market offer but the the owner seems to think his property is worth more - as per the article in todays local & state.

I was thinking about contacting the commission to see if there is something that a concerned citizen can do to help raise awareness. Check out their site (see below) there are quite a few not allot of deemed historic buildings around this area by the way.

It seems like from what I can tell the commission is trying to get the property - what I am not completely sure about is why was it not deemed historic before the purchase by Marcel Starks then it would have been protected. The article states Stark had a partner where originally they wanted to preserve the building and make it a car club but the economy tanked and his partner sold out his share.

here is the CLT Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commssion link:
Historic Landmarks Commission

Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM

I am so glad you knew more about this. This guy is a total loser for not accepting a fair price and moving on. It is not our fault he made a business decision that went bad.

Did I understand it correctly - that he has someone else who will pay more for the land (and build something else there?)

I thought an historic designation meant that one could not even modify a property without permission from a review committee. It seemed to me that the commission here had only a year to work something out - and then after that time - they can't keep the owner from disposing of the property as he sees fit. I have never run into that before. I thought the deed literally could not be transferred (like a cloud on the title) until certain conditions were met about the future of the property. Don't know where I got that idea - I may have just dreamed it up, lol.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
You both make valid and intriguing points. I have to wonder if the land alone is worth (market value) as much as the Historical group offered for the entire property or if this guy is pipe dreaming. I'd sure hate to see such a structure razed for no value.

According to the article, this fellow bought the building in 2006. The firehouse was designated historic back in 1976. http://www.cmhpf.org/CharlotteFireStationNo2p1.htm

Last edited by Stripes17; 02-15-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM

Well . . . what can we do about this? Is the bottom line that since the guy is being impossible about the price, that we citizens need to fundraise? Anyone know?

Gosh, it seems something could go in that building . . . something unique . . . that would make money and still preserve the integrity of the building.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Why can't the historic district declare the property a historic landmark, offer the guy the money, if he doesn't accept it, TOO BAD, and the historic district takes control of the property anyway??

That is what happens in other places.

This is history, for goodness sake. and, there is precious little of history left in Charlotte!!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 AM

359 posts, read 1,144,415 times
It is rather disturbing to see older buildings being torn down, instead of preserved. There are many usage options for a building like that. It would be a shame to see it torn down and get replaced by some new shiny building that will sit empty anyways.
As a hobby photographer, old buildings are far more interesting then all the new condo's. I will have to go and take some shots before anything happens.
I will be following this story to see if there is anything that can be done. Being fairly new to CLT, but loving the city, i would really like to see these old buildings survive...

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM

23 posts, read 34,571 times
Eminent Domain.. I wonder if the historic society could/would do that ?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
I'm surprised it's not being bought at asking price and converted into Section 8...
The Mayor must be on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte