Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:20 AM

62 posts, read 221,437 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My head is spinning trying to find a good, reliable moving company from New York to Charlotte- we have a one bedroom apt. and it seems each time I find a company, I hear something else bad about them on movingscams.com... We will pack all of our items, but we want the company to load the truck, drive it to Charlotte, and unload the boxes, etc. into the apt...

Do you have any suggestions of someone you have used that you highly recommend? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, either...

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 AM

107 posts, read 121,042 times
Have you tried NYCE Trucking?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:34 AM

85 posts, read 428,302 times
We have used Two men and A Truck twice for moves within NC and no problems. I don't know how they would perform for a long move such as yours.

http://www.twomen.com/index.html

But for a move like yours, check into what insurance you need for a move to protect your personal belongings.
We had a new hire move from Boston to Charlotte and the moving truck caught fire. He lost all of his stuff.
The insurance that he selected really did not come close to replacement costs of everything. It was based on weight of the items. Now how much does a suit weigh, 3 pounds. At $5.00 per pound it does not come close.

Good Luck and welcome to NC.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,116 times
if you just have a one bedroom..I'd do it myself...I have been moved by multiple moving companies and they never take care of your stuff like you do.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM

No- have you heard positive things about them?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
if you just have a one bedroom..I'd do it myself...I have been moved by multiple moving companies and they never take care of your stuff like you do.
I agree! If you really do not want to drive it down, just rent a POD and load and unload yourself and call it a day.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:48 AM

189 posts, read 580,273 times
My parents used a POD when they moved to SC. They loved it. Just make sure your goods are covered for insurance purposes. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your input- my only concern with the PODS are what about properly packing/wrapping things like televisions, hanging pictures, furniture that could tear, etc.? I don't want to ruin a bunch of stuff because we didn't know what we were doing!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:38 AM

189 posts, read 580,273 times
If you are worried about damage then your best bet may be to use a shipping company. Things can still go wrong (thats why they all are insured).

I helped move friends many times and we always used furniture wrap (check UHaul or truck rental places). If you do it yourself just make sure to pack everything tight. It shouldnt be a problem. You can also contact PODs for more ideas. The amount of money you save will be significant.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,116 times
The way you pack and wrap things, are going to be how they survive the trip, TVs and all that can be wrapped in large moving blankets and put between say a sofa and boxes just so they don't wiggle, they make boxes for mirrors and pictures, make sure the wrap them first. Even moving companies damage things..you can get property insurance for yourself. I have been moved by a moving company 4 times in 7 yrs and I wasn't impressed...this last trip they totally destroyed my sofa, the whole wooden frame was crushed, they broke my smaller TV etc..it happens. It depends largely on the crew! They do have insurance though and will replace it. I guess I am thinking depending on how big your apartment is and how much "stuff" you really have is going to count. We have a 4 bedroom house that we moved from and it was waaayyy too much to do ourselves but we did do partially, our things we didn't want to risk getting lost or damaged or stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte