Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:20 AM

310 posts, read 1,700,004 times

Advertisements

I've seen here that everyone advises against going to Charlotte city DMVs due to busy lines, crowds, etc. However, I'm in the unusal position of having to take buses to get to the DMV (for switching my out-of-state license to NC), since I don't currently have a car! And it seems like the only DMV offices I can get to by bus are within the city. (Unfortunately, don't have anyone who can give me a ride to the DMV since they all work 8 - 5 jobs & the DMVs don't have ANY evening/weekend hours!!)

I've already ruled out going to the Brookshire DMV location because it's not a good idea to walk almost 20minutes from the bus stop in that area (CATS transit itself advises against this on their online trip planner!) Of the 3 DMVs remaining, I'm located in the middle of all 3 (near Southpark Mall), so it would take me approximatly the same amt of time by bus(s) to get to each one (over an hour by buses to each DMV!) What I'd like to know is which one(s) you would recommend goin to as far as being the least busy & being in a relatively safe area for a female walking from a bus stop to get there? (each one has bus stops within a 5minute walk.) Here's the 3 locations:

-- 6407 Idlewild Road, Suite3rm112

-- 8446 North Tryon Street, 28213

-- 201-H West Arrowood Road, 28217

Would appreciate feedback about these locations, they're in areas I NEVER go to and I know they're not the safest areas. And if anyone knows of a non-Charlotte DMV nearby that's bus-accessible (Huntersville?), would like to hear about that also, would be willing to travel longer by bus to get there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Best thing to do in this situation is call and make an appointment to the best location for you
to travel to.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Best thing to do in this situation is call and make an appointment to the best location for you
to travel to.
The problem with appointments is that they have everything booked like 2 months in advance or so. Works fine if it's not urgent.

I would NOT recommend the one at Arrowood. I went there and it was packed by 6.45am. Not sure about the others.

A friend of mine went to Mooresville and he was out in no time. If someone can drive you there it's a great choice.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
If the bus lets you out within 5 minutes of the place, North Tryon is pretty safe. This location is close to UNCC, University Hospital, Ikea & Walmart. You should be more than safe in this area. Closer to Charlotte on N. Tryon however and I would not make this statement. It's not real convenient for pedestrians however. I seem to recall there are no sidewalks on that part of N. Tryon. It's at the intersection of Harris. If the bus lets you off at The Promenade (a shopping center) you should be able to walk there fairly easily however.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
I went to the Arrowood location about a month ago, and there was a long line first thing in the morning. I had to wait out in the cold for about 45 minutes because they only let a certain number in at a time. My wife went around 10:30 and got in relatively quickly. I would not go on a Monday or Friday if you can help it.
The area wasn't very nice, and I'm not sure about the bus stops. I would think you would be safe there though.

I would expect at least 2-4 hours of your time spent though. Make sure your ID has your full middle name!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM

310 posts, read 1,700,004 times
Thanks for the replies. The N. Tryon DMV is very close to the University, I've already stayed at a hotel near there & know that the bus stop is close to the DMV and relatively safe (at least during daylight.) I just hate having to catch the #11 N. Tryon bus from the downtown transit center (now, that's an adventure!) to get there. While the #11 runs quite frequently, from my past experience it's one of the worst buses to take in terms of lots of strange characters, smelly homeless men, people drunk/high/acting out even sometimes during the day but definitely after dark! (I know this because I was stuck taking this bus for a week 2 years ago when I stayed at a hotel near the University my first week here in Charlotte, what a great intro to the city!) But I already have an appt set up at the N. Tryon DMV for a week from now and might take my chances going there, might even try on an early morning before that appt (How are the lines there early mornings, anyone know?)

The reason I have to get that NC drivers license is because my out-of-state license expired last June, never took care of it (not driving at all), haven't taken a flight since then but I'm planning to fly on US Airways from CLT to Jacksonville FL in mid-March. So I'm worried about presenting an expired license as my ID (have no other photo ID) even though whenever I've shown this license here the last few months for ID at stores no one has ever questionned it or pointed out that it's expired. (And since I'm not driving at all, no car, not risking any tickets.) When researching on line I've seen different opinions about whether I'll have trouble trying to fly with an expired drivers license. A US Airways phone rep said I should be OK as long as I get there extra early & have other ID such as SS card and credit cards under my name, which I do have (although who knows what kind of extra searches I might get subjected to?)

However even if I go the DMV tomorrow (Thurs 2/18) & pass the vision/written tests (the DMV reps told me that as long as my license expired less than a year ago I shouldn't have to take a road test), I would only get a temporary license w/no photo & it's likely that I wouldn't get my permanent photo license in the mail in time for my flight! So has anyone else tried to fly a domestic flight out of CLT airport with your only photo ID being an expired drivers license? What happened? Barred from the flight? Long delay? Strip-searched? Was it thru US Air (yeah, I know they're not the best carrier but I want to fly nonstop for cheap to Jacksonville FL!) If you've experienced going thru this at Charlotte airport or the Jacksonville airport, would like to hear about it.

Also, can anyone give me an opinion about the DMV at Idlewild Rd? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,442 times
I visited the Idlewild location twice with my daughter. It was very slow moving and the workers had a bad attitude. The overall experience took about two hours.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
I've seen here that everyone advises against going to Charlotte city DMVs due to busy lines, crowds, etc. However, I'm in the unusal position of having to take buses to get to the DMV (for switching my out-of-state license to NC), since I don't currently have a car! And it seems like the only DMV offices I can get to by bus are within the city. (Unfortunately, don't have anyone who can give me a ride to the DMV since they all work 8 - 5 jobs & the DMVs don't have ANY evening/weekend hours!!)

I've already ruled out going to the Brookshire DMV location because it's not a good idea to walk almost 20minutes from the bus stop in that area (CATS transit itself advises against this on their online trip planner!) Of the 3 DMVs remaining, I'm located in the middle of all 3 (near Southpark Mall), so it would take me approximatly the same amt of time by bus(s) to get to each one (over an hour by buses to each DMV!) What I'd like to know is which one(s) you would recommend goin to as far as being the least busy & being in a relatively safe area for a female walking from a bus stop to get there? (each one has bus stops within a 5minute walk.) Here's the 3 locations:

-- 6407 Idlewild Road, Suite3rm112

-- 8446 North Tryon Street, 28213

-- 201-H West Arrowood Road, 28217

Would appreciate feedback about these locations, they're in areas I NEVER go to and I know they're not the safest areas. And if anyone knows of a non-Charlotte DMV nearby that's bus-accessible (Huntersville?), would like to hear about that also, would be willing to travel longer by bus to get there. Thanks
newbie, I tell ya what - dm me, one day next week I'll pick you up myself and take you to the one on Idlewild okay? Best time is right after lunch, I've zipped in and out of there myself twice in the last year. Making an appt really helps.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 44,313 times
The DMV on North Tryon has been a nightmare every time I've been there. Definitely expect to spend several hours of your day there. I recently went to the DMV in Concord, and it wasn't that much better. (Thankfully I don't have to go for another eight years.) Someone there had an appointment though and was seen within five minutes of walking in the door, so having an appointment seems to be the way to go.

Also, I got my picture taken for my license last Monday (2/8) and received the license in the mail today (2/17), so I would think you'd be okay as far as getting it before your trip.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
All of the DMVs in Charlotte are overloaded slow and full of people you really don't want to be around. If there was some way possible for you to get there, I would recommend getting a ride to one of the offices in the surrounding counties as mentioned in the previous post. I recently had to renew my license and I went to Mooresville and it went very fast. Interestingly I was in that N. Tryon DMV just this week and it reminded me of the intake center for the county jail. (I had to bail out someone once) Not a place that you would want to say in for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte