Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
And why are we only focusing on his comments? Anyone ever listen to the other council members speak in private and in public. Vilma is sometimes worse than Bill James in her comments and her attitude about people.
That is very true! Not excusing any of James' outrageous, stereotypical and downright embarrassing remarks . . . but I do agree - he ain't the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 PM

339 posts, read 715,376 times
It really is scary that people like this can become elected officials. Though I still think it is great that they did that. He looked so uncomfortable - serves him right. He's a jerk.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
And why is this even relevant? I am sure it can be rationalized, but really. So what, who cares.

lln

Old 02-17-2010, 04:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
And why is this even relevant? I am sure it can be rationalized, but really. So what, who cares.

lln
it might not be relevant to you in New Bern but it total relevant for
giving Bill James from Charlotte Rainbow Action Network for Equality
the card in hopes he would change his stance on changing
his negative bad attitude

Old 02-17-2010, 04:34 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
We are focusing on him because he is the one that made the crude, insensitive remarks about homosexuals. What he says in private is his busines. He made these comments in public in front of a live mic. No one is claiming Leake made any such comments.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 AM

124 posts, read 212,551 times
Look at the rest of the mans record. The guy may have said something you don't agree with but it wasn't a comment that was meant for anyone other than Leake. And I can personally testify to Leake's inappropriate behavior. This man has done a lot for Charlotte. Ms. Leake has done nothing other than push her agenda.

So the guy said a word you didn't like. There are people all over this city that will say things you don't like. Lets put things in perspective a bit. I'd rather have him on the board then Leake a million times over. Wish he hadn't used that word. But anyone more worried about him using that word then then actually opening their eyes to the rest of whats going on up there is just being distracted.

Politics today should be about fixing the large problems. All this BS talk about gay marraige, abortion, "someone said retard", "someone said ***" is just smoke. Much larger, way more important issues are being WAAAY mis-handled right now.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Like I've said before, if he would've said the N word, I am sure it would've been a huge deal. Yes, there are bigger issues out there, like the economy and jobs. But this is a local politician, and he should respect all citizens that pay for his salary. This is not about gay marriage, this is about respecting a group of citizens.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
I know this thread is about Bill James but since it
is mentioned a couple of times how Leake also
makes deragotory comments , can anyone fill me in on what those comments were?

not trying to start anything ,just wondering what it is she has
said to put her right up there with Bill James.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
To start with, at a school board meeting in 2005 Vilma Leake didn't like what a fellow board member had to say about security in schools and she called him "boy" and said he was acting like Emmitt Till.
I guess it is ok that she is black and so was he?
Yes, I was there and heard it. The room looked at her. Nothing happened to her. She never apologized.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:46 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
Or how about in 2008 when the paper reported that Vilma hasn't paid her property taxes? Her comments -

She doesn't understand why people are prying into her private business and said she hopes those who are criticizing her have paid their taxes.
“I’ve been paying my taxes,” Leake said. “I don’t have a problem paying my taxes.”

Again, nothing happened. She maintained her school board position and county commission position. Someone mysteriously paid the taxes after the paper reported the non payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte