Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Food Lion says it is cutting prices on thousands of items - throughout its stores.

Just thought you might find that helpful!

Food Lion cuts prices - Charlotte Business Journal:)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Food Lion says it is cutting prices on thousands of items - throughout its stores.

ROFLMAO!!!

I'm glad you're going to benefit. Ingles is killing them out here. Maybe they're afraid that Ingles will continue into Charlotte.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
I don't understand Foodlion's place in the market anymore. They are way too expensive for what they have to offer in that they now charge Harris Teeter prices without running a store like Harris Teeter. They are simply being killed on the low end by Walmart. I guess they are trying to address it, but IMO, this chain when to hell when it was bought years ago by that outfit in Belgium.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFLMAO!!!

I'm glad you're going to benefit. Ingles is killing them out here. Maybe they're afraid that Ingles will continue into Charlotte.
I would love to see an Ingles here . . .

Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
I would love to see an Ingles here . . .
It would sure upset the applecart. The only drawback that I see is that they are phasing in the big supermarkets & phasing out the grocery stores. Maybe they'd like that lot in Ballentyne for a supermarket.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I don't understand Foodlion's place in the market anymore. They are way too expensive for what they have to offer in that they now charge Harris Teeter prices without running a store like Harris Teeter. They are simply being killed on the low end by Walmart. I guess they are trying to address it, but IMO, this chain when to hell when it was bought years ago by that outfit in Belgium.
Yes, I have to agree. My parents lived in Salisbury during that time (of the sale). Wasn't the store named Food Town back then? It has been a while - I have forgotten . . . It was a wonderful, hometown business "back then."

Old 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Yes it was named Food Town and their motto was LFPINC which used to be on their signs. (LFPINC = lowest food prices in NC) When the Belgium company started it's expansion of this store, it didn't want to butt heads with another Foodtown that was located somewhere else. They changed the name to FoodLion on the basis that it only required two letters to be changed on their stores.

It's hardly the store that it was in the Food Town days and those Bloom stores charge you an arm and a leg for stuff all because it is basically a food lion with some computer screens tossed around the place. Oh and you can scan your own food. At those prices I want them to do it.

Ingles, Piggly Wiggly or Publix would all be good alternatives.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Yes, I have to agree. My parents lived in Salisbury during that time (of the sale). Wasn't the store named Food Town back then? It has been a while - I have forgotten . . . It was a wonderful, hometown business "back then."
You are right it was Food Town and Ralph Ketner was the man ... lowest food prices in NC ... then added VA ... then SC. LOL :-) The first store opened in Rock Hill in 1977 as Food Town and Ralph was here for the Grand Opening.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,920 times
Quote:

They need to do something.Way too expensive IMO

Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM

I am gonna be comparing prices. I hope others will post if they find something that really is a better price at FL as compared to other stores.

You know, there would be nothing wrong with having a thread where we shared info on food specials, mark downs, new products, sales, etc. We have done that in the past. It is a great way to share the info and save on groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte