U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,647 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old single male from Waterbury, CT who has recently been granted a job opportunity in the Charlotte area. I have never been to North Carolina before, let alone Charlotte (though I will be visiting soon to check it out). Where should I look to rent an apartment (I'll have about a 35K budget)? Can I live comfortably on 35K in NC, because that is a definite NO in the Northeast? Also, what can I expect for nightlife? Are there a good amount of single girls my age down there? What is the general culture of the city? I'm a sports junkie and I know you have the Bobcats, Panthers, and Hartford Whalers, but is NASCAR (bleh) the be all and end all of sports in the Charlotte area? Is there anything else I should be made aware of? Thank you for addressing these questions and I look forward to visiting Charlotte soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2010 View Post
I am a 23 year old single male from Waterbury, CT who has recently been granted a job opportunity in the Charlotte area. I have never been to North Carolina before, let alone Charlotte (though I will be visiting soon to check it out). Where should I look to rent an apartment (I'll have about a 35K budget)? Can I live comfortably on 35K in NC, because that is a definite NO in the Northeast? Also, what can I expect for nightlife? Are there a good amount of single girls my age down there? What is the general culture of the city? I'm a sports junkie and I know you have the Bobcats, Panthers, and Hartford Whalers, but is NASCAR (bleh) the be all and end all of sports in the Charlotte area? Is there anything else I should be made aware of? Thank you for addressing these questions and I look forward to visiting Charlotte soon.
A single guy can definitely live on 35k a year here in NC and Charlotte.

Plan to live close to uptown for the nightlife and socializing you want. There are condos and apts for rent there too.

But just outside of the uptown area is the Plaza Midwood neighborhood, you might like that. It is very walkable with bars, restaurants, lots of young people.

While Charlotte is mostly known as a somewhat conservative, family city there is truly something here for everyone. Welcome, and congrats on the new job!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,399,137 times
Like LovesMountains stated, Uptown is the place for you, lots of single young professionals in the area, in addition to a vibrant night life. $35K is not great, but it is a start and if you are careful with your budget, you will be able to live a decent life. Coming from the NE, it might be a bit of a culture shock, so be open minded and don't be too agressive with the locals. Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,230,928 times
Just so you know, the Carolina Hurricanes actually play in the Raleigh/Durham area. We do have a hockey team, the Charlotte Checkers, that play here in town. I'm not exactly sure if they're ECHL or AHL...someone feel free to jump in here...but they're pretty popular. Just wanted you to know there's no NHL team in town, just in case that's a deal-breaker for you.
Congrats on your upcoming move!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,647 times
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. What streets constitute Uptown? That definitely sounds like the area I want to be in.

I don't really even follow the NHL, as you can tell I'm still a little bitter about North Carolina "stealing" the Hartford Whalers . I didn't know they played in Raleigh though, that's interesting. Again, thanks for the input.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:37 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,399,137 times
Uptown is the city center, Trade Street, Tryon Street, Mint Street, Stonewall Street, College Street, Church Street, basically zip code 28201. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2010 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. What streets constitute Uptown? That definitely sounds like the area I want to be in.

I don't really even follow the NHL, as you can tell I'm still a little bitter about North Carolina "stealing" the Hartford Whalers . I didn't know they played in Raleigh though, that's interesting. Again, thanks for the input.

Look at a map of Charlotte - see the area within the I277 loop around the middle of the city? That's uptown

Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM

117 posts, read 260,216 times
=0

Last edited by spiveslude; 02-18-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: double post

Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM

117 posts, read 260,216 times
What kind of night life are you into? I am also a 23 year old male and I live on the edge of uptown/277 loop. Its a 10 min walk to most things entertainment so cabs and DDs are never needed. And yes plenty of eye candy. Cant wait for pool season...

you'll have to pick your housing carefully and be generally fiscally conservative with a 35k income if you expect to save any money for a rainy day but its not impossible to live around the uptown area and enjoy what it has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte