Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM

15 posts, read 60,124 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the city early next month from Atlanta and wanted to hear people's perspective on each of areas. I've done a good amount of research about the area so know lot about Uptown but not as much about South End and Dilworth.

I'm in my late 20's single, male and will be working in the South Park area. However, not very interested in living in the area since it seems more upscale suburban based on couple of times I've visited. I've heard commute is about 15-20 mins so that's not too bad compared to ATL commutes. I'm looking for an area that has a relatively active nightlife on Fri/Sat with bars, restaurants, coffee shops, casual eateries and somewhat pedestrian friendly (similar to Midtown Atlanta/Virginia Highlands for those that are familiar with Atlanta. I know that Uptown definitely offers this but what about South End and Dilworth. Based on what I've seen South End has lot of new apt buildings coming up and only 2 miles or so from Uptown which is convenient, plus it seems to have decent number of bars and restaurants in the area (however I may be wrong about this). Are cabs easily avaiable if you want to go Uptown on weekends? Also is the bar/lounge scene all situated in one area of Uptown near Trade/Tryon intersection or scattered throughout Uptown?

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Easy. If you could afford it, live in Uptown. Get a car and garage and on weekends go 3-4 hours in all directions and you will have a very nice life.
Good luck.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 PM

117 posts, read 294,108 times
The uptown bar/etc scene is scattered in about a 5 or 6 block radius of trade and tryon. Uptown has everything you would want or need. South end has a lot of stuff also but has a different feel than uptown. maybe its just me. South end also has easy access to the light rail. about $3 will get you a round trip to anywhere along the light rail. Last train leaves uptown about an hour before the bars close. living uptown and working anywhere else will almost always put you against traffic so you will never have to worry about being late in the mornings or irritated in the afternoons because most everyone else travels TOWARD uptown in the mornings and AWAY in the afternoons.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks spiveslude. I'm most interested in what makes South end different than Uptown. Is it the crowd (perhaps bit older), not as many restaurants/bars and more artsy feel or somethine else

Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM

983 posts, read 1,625,610 times
I live in South End and love it. I'm 28 and arrived about a year and a half ago.

Nice thing about South End is that you get a lot of stuff at walking distance: CVS, bars, restaurants, fast food (with a wider schedule than in Uptown, where they tend to only open from 11 to 3 weekdays). I also have a light rail station right outside my building.

vs Uptown? It's not such a pain in the ass to park, it's cheaper (a little bit) and Dilworth is very close (walkable neighborhood, elementary school with public sport courts, tons of restaurants and bars as well).

On the other side you don't have as many bars as in Uptown, but you are only a 5 min. light rail ride from there.

If you want the artsy feel check NoDa, but that will hurt your commute to South Park a bit.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
In addition to what my fellow Charlotte cohorts have said, you should rethink Southpark. I'm not sure when was the last time you visited but it has improved. I think of the Piedmont Terrace I think its called? It has nice condos, walking distance to Southpark, a YMCA, really nice area. But I do agree that Southend is probably ore hip. NoDa rocks too.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Collective, what's the typical demographic from what you've seen in the south end area? Is it people in mid to upper 20's to late 30's ish? Assuming you're a social and outgoing person, how have you found it to meet new people and openness of them? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,262 times
Default South End

If you are looking for night life you can get that uptown or south end. I live near southpark and there is a lot off places to around here, but they are very pricey. Uptown has a lot to offer and if you like loft living that's the way to go. Either way you can't go wrong in any of those area's. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM

983 posts, read 1,625,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_2_clt View Post
Collective, what's the typical demographic from what you've seen in the south end area? Is it people in mid to upper 20's to late 30's ish? Assuming you're a social and outgoing person, how have you found it to meet new people and openness of them? Thanks.
Mid to late 20s, early 30s.

People I've met is really open. A lot of young people just relocating to CLT.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 AM

95 posts, read 242,715 times
check out the catalyst if you will be renting it will be populated with mid 20 folks and it is brand new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte