Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:46 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,130,414 times

Advertisements

When you use the phrase "NoDa" where exactly are you talking about? I know Dilworth, but not this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,141,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
When you use the phrase "NoDa" where exactly are you talking about? I know Dilworth, but not this.
It references the area north of Davidson near uptown (hence the term NoDa) Seems to be a lot of investors in there right now

Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 PM

549 posts, read 2,377,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
NODA imean North of Davidson, it is now the Art's District and an emerging/transitioning neighborhood. In the 1930's it was a little mill town and by the 1980's it had decayed an turn into a bad part of town. Still relatively cheap but you have to watch out for the crime.

Dilworth was the first street-car suburd found by Mr. Dilworth in the 1890's. It boasts some small little "Art&Craft" bungalows to some elaborate "Victorian" mansions. Dilworth has encourage developement of condos and townhomes over the last few years. You can find some great loft-like condos for around 170k. The are localed on 1315 East Blvd above the chic French restaurant Patou.
www.1315east.com

Elizabeth founded in 1897 was one the most fashionable place to call home for Charlottean high society at the turn of the 20th century. There are some of those grand homes left that were not bullduzzed after being rezoned not residential in the late 1960's. It is a great place and the real estate has "skyrokated" over the past few years.

HobokenGuy;
Yes you are right those job sites like Monster etc are not good because lately alot of companies in Charlotte have taken the habit of working with Temp Agencies; they economize on NOT paying people benefits which is really mean. Have you tought about working with a "headhunter" that knows all the great ompanies who are hiring with your salary criteria? Another thing to consider is that Charlotte has a relatively "cheap" cost of living is. It is considered inexpansive by the snowbirds coming down from up east. Areas like Plaza Mid-Wood are great, there is a 2-block commerical area. NODA also has one. When you see it, the commerical strip will remind you of Washington Street in Hoboken with all the qauint commercial spaces below with the apartments above. I recommend you look into that area since I been to Hoboken and Williamsburg, Brooklyn. So I'm familiar with all that amazing architecture and the nice brownstones. Personally I think a place like that can be a nice way for you to transition easily to the "Bible Belt".

You can PM me and can give you a list of nice places to hang out with friends!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,698,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
NODA imean North of Davidson, it is now the Art's District and an emerging/transitioning neighborhood. In the 1930's it was a little mill town and by the 1980's it had decayed an turn into a bad part of town. Still relatively cheap but you have to watch out for the crime.

Dilworth was the first street-car suburd found by Mr. Dilworth in the 1890's. It boasts some small little "Art&Craft" bungalows to some elaborate "Victorian" mansions. Dilworth has encourage developement of condos and townhomes over the last few years. You can find some great loft-like condos for around 170k. The are localed on 1315 East Blvd above the chic French restaurant Patou.
www.1315east.com

Elizabeth founded in 1897 was one the most fashionable place to call home for Charlottean high society at the turn of the 20th century. There are some of those grand homes left that were not bullduzzed after being rezoned not residential in the late 1960's. It is a great place and the real estate has "skyrokated" over the past few years.

HobokenGuy;
Yes you are right those job sites like Monster etc are not good because lately alot of companies in Charlotte have taken the habit of working with Temp Agencies; they economize on NOT paying people benefits which is really mean. Have you tought about working with a "headhunter" that knows all the great ompanies who are hiring with your salary criteria? Another thing to consider is that Charlotte has a relatively "cheap" cost of living is. It is considered inexpansive by the snowbirds coming down from up east. Areas like Plaza Mid-Wood are great, there is a 2-block commerical area. NODA also has one. When you see it, the commerical strip will remind you of Washington Street in Hoboken with all the qauint commercial spaces below with the apartments above. I recommend you look into that area since I been to Hoboken and Williamsburg, Brooklyn. So I'm familiar with all that amazing architecture and the nice brownstones. Personally I think a place like that can be a nice way for you to transition easily to the "Bible Belt".

You can PM me and can give you a list of nice places to hang out with friends!
Angrili,

Thanks for the heads-up with the searching. Let me know if you know of any good headhunters in the non-sales side of marketing. I know I will take a big hit salary wise, but when I see coordinators for 33K/year, it blows my mind.

I will look into the plaza section as well. Are there any brownstones in Charlotte? I think I will miss the architecture the most...that and the pizza & bagels!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
they arent temp agencies they are consulting firms, MOST COMPANIES in charlotte want Contract to Perm, my hubby is actually going through that process because they are known to roll over the contracts every 6 months or so, my dh has been approached with 12 plus assisgnments, as alot of companies do this so they can also get someone local...Ang and depending on what you do You may not take a HUGE Hit BUT YOU will take a pay cut.....

Old 01-24-2007, 11:54 PM

549 posts, read 2,377,305 times
Wink Here are some condo projects in the city.

HobokenGuy

Brownstones were not built here in the 19th century like they were built in the northeast. What you have alot of new homes builders to save land is put "townhomes". One thing is that if your flexiable then things can be on your side. The cost of living here is not as astromanical live in NJ/NY. So if its not like taking a paycut up there. Your still young where you can move up
and eventually make what you were making up there. For NY style pizza
you can go to "Fuel Pizza" in Central Avenue in Plaza-Midwood. The neat little story about them that these guys from NY came down here years ago when PLAZA was not in so great state. They bought a delapidated 1930's gas station and opened a pizza parlour in its place. Its a fun place to check out. Over the years they have opened other locations like in Dilworth, Uptown and one opening soon in The new shopping center in Steel Creek area in the intersection of 160 and 49. Hawthrone Pizza in Elizabeth also has good NY style pizza. As you noticed there are alot of NY transplants here and with them they brought their food along with them. So over the years these types of establishments have mushroomed within the city. One the South End there is a NY style restaurant.

Condos starting from 175k to 1.5 million for the 4 thousand sq. ft Penthouse
www.230southtryon.com

High-end apartments in 4th Ward they start in the 300's
www.fifthandpoplar.com

Townhomes in desirable Welsey Heights staring in the 200's
www.walnuthillcondos.com

Skybridge Terrace near Morehead Tavern starts in the low 100's to the 200's
http://www.skybridgeterrace.com

"The Pink Building" A.K.A. as "The Arlington" in Dilworth is another condo development which is very swanky and has beautiful views of the evergrowing Charlotte skyline. Priced from the 200's.
www.thepinkbuilding.com

http://www.avenueuptown.com (broken link)

And for the people who price is not an issue you can be one of the lucky 8 families who will call "The Trust" on 139 S.Tryon their new home. Starting from 1.5million to 5million. The building used to be the Home Federal Building in the 1960s. Could not find a developer website.

How would of thought that uptown Charlotte would of gone condo luxe in short time period. If they keep this up downtown should again merit a high-end department stores like they did in the 1950's before the exudos of the city core in the late 60's. I can't wait for the Ritz Clarton to open in downtown Charlotte.
Ani
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte