Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times

Advertisements

You know what's funny, is most people were going on and on during the bubble how it was such a great time to buy. Very few talked about how dangerous and risky it was to buy then when prices were shooting up. Now that finally prices are coming back to reality, people are NOW freaking out and saying it's not a good time to buy. It's like where were you a few years back? Those people who bought a few years ago are the ones suffering this bloodbath.
My view is, don't follow the herd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Rosewood would make great low income housing.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Just keep this in mind: interest rates are going up. Now, that may not mean a thing to most folks. And it sure isn't a reason to pay more for a house at this point in time than you should! But just keep it in mind . . . perhaps run some scenarios, i.e. . . . getting a house at $300K today at 5% or waiting 2 years and getting a house at $280K for 9%. Just throwing that out there . . . something to factor in when making these decisions.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Ani you're forgetting about those $1800 Section 8 vouchers. Interest rates have no meaning when .gov is footing the bill.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Ani you're forgetting about those $1800 Section 8 vouchers. Interest rates have no meaning when .gov is footing the bill.
If folks can qualify for a voucher, it is a great deal, lol! Those who are out there making enough $$ to qualify for a home get no help at all - unless you consider the interest deduction on your taxes a big "break."

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Seriously... Providence Downs is my favorite neighborhood down there - by FAR. Location, schools, builders (all custom, not tract). It really has it all and IMO is one of the key indicators for the market in Union County. I posted earlier about a foreclosure that went for $325k there just recently. This is the kind of thing I am watching to set the trend for the entire area.

BTW - I LOVE Robin's house... it deserves a buyer!
A foreclosure that went for $325K in Providence Downs?

I guess they'll have to re-name Funny Cide Dr to Sui Cide Dr if those price trends continue!

Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just keep this in mind: interest rates are going up. Now, that may not mean a thing to most folks. And it sure isn't a reason to pay more for a house at this point in time than you should! But just keep it in mind . . . perhaps run some scenarios, i.e. . . . getting a house at $300K today at 5% or waiting 2 years and getting a house at $280K for 9%. Just throwing that out there . . . something to factor in when making these decisions.
Excellent point and I've thought about this... In the end, isn't your nut = your nut? You only can afford X dollars per month and the banks will continue to be tight on that. So, if the I in your P&I goes up, then your affordability factor goes down - which will actually stagnate the higher price points even more.

So to me (at this very moment) it's almost a wash. I'd personally prefer to stay in the moment as we're all not sure about anything at this point.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If folks can qualify for a voucher, it is a great deal, lol! Those who are out there making enough $$ to qualify for a home get no help at all - unless you consider the interest deduction on your taxes a big "break."
How about 0% interest mortgage! That would be awesome!!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 PM

161 posts, read 305,105 times
Hey...this thread was lucky for me today!! We got a Lease to Purchase offer on our house today!! Thanks lucky thread!!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
A foreclosure that went for $325K in Providence Downs?

I guess they'll have to re-name Funny Cide Dr to Sui Cide Dr if those price trends continue!

It had title issues, major ones and could only be sold to a cash buyer. Another one went for a similar price last year but had structural problems.

Most of the good ones are getting multiple offers right now. One last week had 9 offers in 5 days. Banks are pricing them anywhere from $93-110 a square foot. You can't come close to building one for that with the lot costs factored in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte