Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 PM

264 posts, read 851,754 times

Advertisements

I am facing a dilemma. I have lived in the same area of Charlotte for my whole life (back and forth between Madison Park and Montclaire). Due to the location of our kids charter school we are looking to move, plus my husband is tired of this house. Other than that, we love this area.
One day while we were out and about, we saw and fell in love with a neiborhood off Providence. Perfect neighborhood and very close to my kid's school. We were getting ready to make an offer on a home when my husband's business partner told him we should move to Union County. Lower taxes and utilities (he lives in a 5000+Sq.Ft. home and his electric is $120/month, water is like $20/month and property taxes are the same as we pay in Meck County for our 1900Sq.Ft. home).
This all sounds good and wonderful BUT it is hard enough for me to leave from this area to go out to Prov. Rd., let alone to even think about moving to Union County. I agreed to hold off until we 'researched' a little more.
So far I hate the traffic, and I really haven't seen anything that I like as much as I did the other house we loved. The lots in UC are bigger, the prices higher and the square footage less. The homes I do like are out of our preffered price range.
So I guess my question(s) is/are, what are the pros and cons of Meck v/s Union?
Also can anyone refer to me newer communities in the 485/Prov. area that are all brick +3500sqft? Either side of the county line is fine for now.
Thanks all!! I know there is a lot of debate on the forum about this, but I would really like to know the good and the bad.
~Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 07:15 AM

525 posts, read 1,798,641 times
Well let me tell you..his water is WRONG..Union has HIGH water bills they are done a tier rated system, electric bill sounds more like a spring or winter one if he uses gas heat..electric isn't too bad. Property taxes are lower than Meck however with all the growth they are certain to go up. If you move to Union your child will no longer attend ANY Mecklenburg County/ Charlotte schools they will attend either their neighborhood school in Union or a private school if you choose to go that route. My water bill on a 1/4 of an acre with a 2000 sq ft house runs anywhere between 75-150 depending on season etc. Avg water use for a family of 5 is 11000 gallons a month.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:23 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,306,026 times
I don't think that power bill sounds right at all, either. We are all electric, family of 5, 3,000 sq ft, lowest power bill we have ever had is about $200. In high usage months (coldest winter/hottest summer) that might be $100 higher.

Not trying to talk you out of Union, because I love it here. But it really sounds like you are happy in Meck. The traffic WOULD get to be a bear if you are trying to fight it upstream on Providence every day. Only real advantage of Union over Meck right now is lower taxes and good neighborhood schools.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,821,671 times
I would stay in Meck. We moved to Union County and now I am wishing we had gone with Meck Co. instead! For one, there is NOTHING to do here....you will drive to Matthews or Monroe for shopping or movies or to go out to eat. The schools are overrated....the test scores are actually falling now because of the increased demand on the system. The library system is awful. Yes taxes are lower but that won't last.

About the only thing really going for Union County (besides slightly cheaper housing) is less worry about crime. (I think LOL).

We have a 4000 sq ft house and our last water bill was $90. We do NOT have a sprinkler system, this is just average water use for our family of 6. Our electric was over $200, in the summer I am sure it will climb to $350-400+. Our last gas bill was $90, not sure why since we haven't used the heat in well over a month.....

I would say if you like Meck, stay there. Union County is not all it's cracked up to be.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 AM

39 posts, read 178,304 times
In the short term taxes will be lower in Union County. perhaps for another three years, but eventually it will be very close to MecK. Taxes. I think that as you stay closer to the city, people will eventually pay more of a premium for housing. But you will get more house for your money in Union County. Only you can decide what you want. Also your budget might have a lot to do with it.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:49 AM

279 posts, read 1,082,683 times
Default Lifestyle is key

I think it depends on what you want out of the area and what you want in a house. My husband and I chose a home in Union County (Wesley Chapel) because a) we don't need to commute to the city for our jobs; b) it is rural, pretty, quiet, and less polluted because it's farther from the city (an issue for me, as I have bad allergies aggravated by pollution); c) property taxes are lower; and d) my husband is an avid cyclist, and the roads in Meck County are far too busy and the bike lanes disappear into thin air once you cross an intersection (they are not hospitable to cycling). Down in WC, he will be able to leave the house on his bike and not have to load his bike in the car and drive somewhere to ride (hopefully, there will still be some country roads down that way for years to come!)

Union Co. works for our lifestyle. We are home-bodies, our going-out days are pretty much over, and we won't mind getting in the car and driving up to the restaurants when we do want to go out a few times a month. Again, it depends on your lifestyle. And whoever mentioned getting more for your money in Union Co. is correct - there are lots of nice homes in Meck, but we found a gorgeous, turn-key home on .5 acres that would likely cost min. $40k more in Meck & would require upgrades.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,417,143 times
We are looking into Union County as well, since Iredell etc. are absolutely trough the roof at this point.
We have heard, that Meck is going to have a tax increase of about 4 to 6 %.....and that is the reason, why we are NOT considering moving into Meck county, and also because it is already more then other counties.
Can anybody supply me with any info, on the proposed tax hike in Meck?
Thank's

Old 06-02-2007, 02:09 PM

525 posts, read 1,798,641 times
do you have gas for hot water? That is why you still ahve a gas bill more than likely...our electric isn't too bad..highest in the summer was 175 and we keep our house COLD!
I like Union and I am a homebody too...I can drive pretty fast to Providence Road, Arboretum, Southpark Mall, Matthews adn Uptown but I would prefer NOT to live in that area!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 PM

295 posts, read 1,059,177 times
York County is better than both..

Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,148,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiT View Post
I am facing a dilemma. I have lived in the same area of Charlotte for my whole life (back and forth between Madison Park and Montclaire). Due to the location of our kids charter school we are looking to move, plus my husband is tired of this house. Other than that, we love this area.
One day while we were out and about, we saw and fell in love with a neiborhood off Providence. Perfect neighborhood and very close to my kid's school. We were getting ready to make an offer on a home when my husband's business partner told him we should move to Union County. Lower taxes and utilities (he lives in a 5000+Sq.Ft. home and his electric is $120/month, water is like $20/month and property taxes are the same as we pay in Meck County for our 1900Sq.Ft. home).
This all sounds good and wonderful BUT it is hard enough for me to leave from this area to go out to Prov. Rd., let alone to even think about moving to Union County. I agreed to hold off until we 'researched' a little more.
So far I hate the traffic, and I really haven't seen anything that I like as much as I did the other house we loved. The lots in UC are bigger, the prices higher and the square footage less. The homes I do like are out of our preffered price range.
So I guess my question(s) is/are, what are the pros and cons of Meck v/s Union?
Also can anyone refer to me newer communities in the 485/Prov. area that are all brick +3500sqft? Either side of the county line is fine for now.
Thanks all!! I know there is a lot of debate on the forum about this, but I would really like to know the good and the bad.
~Vicki
Hi there,
Your realtor should be able to assist you -- without a price point I may be giving you some communities that are more than what you wanted to spend. There are some off of Alexander Road (all homes may not be full brick, but many are -- this may be north of where you are looking), Deerfield Creek, Providence Plantation (again, some in there are full brick), Hembstead, Allyson Park (closer to Ballantyne area), Piper Glen (not all homes in community are full brick, and also closer to Ballantyne area -- Rea Road), Ballantyne Country Club (obviously Ballantyne), Providence Crossing, Providence Country Club, Bridgehampton (this is further west off of 521). In Union, Canterfield Creek, Chimneys of Marvin, Walden Pond, Providence Downs, Highgate, Firethorne, Kingsmead, Weddington Chase...

There are more, but again a price point would be helpful.

We live in Union county, and I think our bills are higher than your friend's...

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte