Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I don't think the banks care whether you're going to live in the home or rent it out, How would they even know?
I believe that is something that would be covered when taking out a mortgage - second home, rental home, etc vs. primary residence. Also, different rates on homeowner's insurance depending on whether or not it is a second home, rental property, etc.

At least, I know I have been asked all those things in the loan process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:15 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Banks have different terms for rental property vs a primary residence.

Foreclosures are a matter between the bankers and the mortgage holders. What you are seeing on those real estate sites are properties that have been foreclosed on, the bank has taken possession and have decided to sell. There is no telling how many properties the banks have foreclosed on but are not putting on the market. There is evidence there are a significant amount of homes that fit this zombie home category. This is made easier because the Federal government continues to absorb their losses at taxpayer expense. The bankers, the federal government, the federal reserve, the congress and the treasury all want to put on the appearance that things are better than they are. This charade is going to make the pain worse later.

When a party tries to sell a home they still own but can't afford and which is worth less than the mortgage, it's called a short sell. Some banks will agree with this, others won't. In any case you then have a 3rd party in the negotiations. Might be best to leave this sort of problem property alone.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
How's 28173 looking? =)

Seriously, though... Do you have any details on how the banks are handling the foreclosures with regard to people wanting to buy them (to live in) vs. investors looking to steal them for all cash and rent them out? The latter being really bad for the neighborhood.

Some banks have changed the rules a little to make things a little more fair for buyers who want to live in homes. The home I'm under contract for stated this:

"Fannie Mae considers only owner occupied offers for the first 15 days."

Old 03-05-2010, 03:25 PM

370 posts, read 752,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I believe that is something that would be covered when taking out a mortgage - second home, rental home, etc vs. primary residence. Also, different rates on homeowner's insurance depending on whether or not it is a second home, rental property, etc.

At least, I know I have been asked all those things in the loan process.

VERY true.

Second and or investment home financing is VERY difficult now.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:27 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here is the portal - you have to sign off on the disclaimer - then go to the next page and choose criteria. I chose 10,11,12 of 2009 and Brandon Oaks. Or at least - that is what I meant to do.

http://taxweb.co.union.nc.us:8080/EG...sclaimerCS.jsp
I couldn't get that link to work. But when I when to:
1) Carolinahome | Sales Search page
2) Chose Union County
3) Chose 28079
4) Chose Brandon Oaks
5) Clicked 2009

I got 58 sales. Most sales appear to be under 250K also.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I couldn't get that link to work. But when I when to:
1) Carolinahome | Sales Search page
2) Chose Union County
3) Chose 28079
4) Chose Brandon Oaks
5) Clicked 2009

I got 58 sales. Most sales appear to be under 250K also.
Yeah, I think my criteria got messed up and instead of one subdivision, I believe the figure I got was for ALL homes in Union County during that period, b/n $250-350K. That sounds much more realistic for Brandon Oaks sales. Thanks for getting that straightened out. I am having problems with the link, too.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:33 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,146 times
A few of them have initiated owner occupant buyer only periods for the first 2 weeks of the listing or by ____ date. Fannie and Freddie Mac are both offering heavy incentives to owner occupant purchasers right now.

Invester purchases require higher deposits (almost always has been this way) and they are also requesting copies of you articles of incorporation if LLC, or Corp.

Invester's that are obtaining financing need 25% down. They initiated "rate" hits for a ton of things over a year ago now. Basically, if it's an investment type loan that is needed they will "hit, penalize, or raise" the interest rate based on criteria that is not met. For example if it's a condo they will hit the rate. The banks don't like invester loans on condo's. As we all know they lost who knows how many billions on condo projects.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
USDA 100% for certain "rural" areas seems pretty hot. No surprise the loans the banks have to actually carry (what little non-FHA there is) are onerous. 25% down?! I can't imagine they're seeing too much of those types of sales.

If you bought a property to rent it, but represented it as a primary residence in contract - I'm assuming there's some clause about living in it somewhere in the docs. Do the banks actually check on the properties post-close or does it become an exercise in "if the mortgage payment is on time... all is good".

Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 PM

314 posts, read 486,088 times
Man, someone got a pretty good deal on this property :

"UCity office park sold for 30 cents on the dollar" - March 5, 2010

UCity office park sold for 30 cents on the dollar - CharlotteObserver.com

Another article on the cost of the tax credit for taxpayers:

"The Homebuyer Tax Credit Will Cost Taxpayers Over $100,000 For Every Home Sold"- March 5, 2010

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-h...me-sold-2010-3

"“When you take away all the support from the housing market, the underlying demand for housing is a lot weaker than we thought,” said Mark Vitner, a senior economist at Wells Fargo Securities LLC in Charlotte, North Carolina. “We clearly pushed some demand forward, and there wasn’t that much demand to pull forward anyway. The housing recovery is going to be very, very slow.”"

Old 03-06-2010, 04:50 AM

604 posts, read 1,306,772 times
This topic is like a double negative. no jobs=no home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte