U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:00 PM

373 posts, read 662,507 times

Advertisements

I love it. There's a book called Edible Landscaping. It's all about landscaping your property with fruits & veggies. It may give you some ideas. I'd much rather have lettuce than grass, but my neighbors would hate me & so would DH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:03 PM

45 posts, read 103,142 times
I say do it, a friend of mine has planted a small garden in his front yard and his neighbors don't mind. I think they are hoping that they might get to share in some of the veggies! That might be the way after all -- a tomato a day keeps the neighbors at bay!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,763,405 times
I watched an episode of Curb Appeal once where they put a garden in the front. They just planted herbs and veggies in amongst the flowers and other plants in beds all along the front of the house and the walk up from the driveway. I thought it looked really cool!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 PM

400 posts, read 482,143 times
ChessPie.....Personally, I think the rabbits and deer would love a great garden in the front....they wouldn't have to hop thru and over the fence...if you had one in the back.
Really, I think that anyone could do veggie gardening in the front and side yard....as long as they kept it discreet. Radishes grow low to the ground, as do carrots, and could be intermingled with other plants. Asparagus....look like ferns and could probably be put to the back of the garden...they do need a bit of room. Tomatoes might do well on the side of the yard....possibly behind maybe a small portion of privacy fence. From a distance....green, yellow and red peppers may just look like flowering bushes. Those crazy squash plants get really big...and they too might just look like some kind of really neat bush with yellow flowers. All in all it just needs to be kept up so that it doesn't become an eyesore...especially, if you have to tie some of the plants up...now that is when it gets especially tricky!! Good Luck to anyone that attempts front yard gardening....it might be a real challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte