U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,600 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job at the Carolina medical center in Monroe, nc. Need some advice on some nice areas to live. We are in our early 30s no kids yet and over the bar scence. Wouldd rather have a nice dinner or go out shopping during the day at a mall. We currently live in Celebration, Fl so for those who are familiar with it we would love to find an area similar and just rent for now (under $1300) I hear the traffic on 74 is bad but my husband will be driving into Monroe so hopefully opposite the traffic. Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by Jasmin4229; 03-06-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Let me add that my husband would prefer a commute under 30 minutes

Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 AM

23 posts, read 57,817 times
Hello,

I lived near Orlando in Altamonte Springs for a while and am familiar with Celebration. We haven't lived in this area long, but we moved just a little south of Ballantyne. My initial thought would be to look around the area where 521 and Rea Road meet. That seems to be a pretty nice area with a lot of dining options and would be within the thirty minutes you are looking for.

I'm not sure what to tell you on the rental options, because I don't know what you are looking for as far as accomodations go (condo, house, how many rooms, etc.). Besides, I'm probably not the best person to answer because we have only lived here for a few months. I replied because no one else has yet and I wanted to at least try and help!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 AM

Thanks for your reply! We are looking for either a 3 bedroom house or a townhouse.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 PM

37 posts, read 57,317 times
My wife and I lived in Altamonte Springs and Apopka before we moved to Monroe about 3 1/2 years ago. She had gotten a job in Monroe, but since then we have both gotten jobs in Charlotte.

Monroe is very much in the shadow of Charlotte in terms of restaurants and shopping. The Monroe Mall is going to disappoint you. There is nice shopping in some of the other areas surrounding Charlotte, though.

I-74 is no picnic. During rush-hour it's slammed, but if your husband is traveling away from Charlotte in the morning it probably won't be as bad.

I guess I can't help with any specific housing recommendations... there are some nice developments and some lousy ones!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM

924 posts, read 1,854,323 times
I live in Monroe and for a 30 minute commute, I wouldn't go too far. Indian Trail would probably be as far as I would go. As far as Monroe, we love it. It will be hard to find rental property for that price, though. It is there, but when you see it, you need to jump on it. I lived in Orlando for 6 years and am very familiar with Celebration. There isn't anything that is comparable to that type of neighborhood in this area. If you want to PM me, I can go into specific details for you. I wouldn't live anywhere near Monroe town. We live on Seacrest Shortcut, but we are in the middle of rezoning of schools. I am not sure if you have children or not. Even this area is only 45 minutes or to two nice malls and shopping areas, I just wouldn't want to drive to those or from those areas during high traffic times.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 PM

445 posts, read 1,021,716 times
Matthews would be a good choice.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 AM

95 posts, read 214,551 times
Harrisburg, would also be a good choice

Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 AM

604 posts, read 1,131,515 times
Look in Indian Trail or Stallings. Maybe even Mint Hill.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,738,691 times
What about Lake Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or