U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times

Advertisements

Ok, Big Nate you seem to know a lot about UVerse. Riddle me this: When is it coming to Matthews???!!! I farking hate TWC my connection is slow as heck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,039,193 times
FWIW, U-verse just upped their top tier to 24 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up.

The soon to be released update to their iPhone App will support streaming from your U-verse DVR to an iPhone/iPad anywhere via WiFi.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM

50 posts, read 58,282 times
Switched from TWCRoadrunner to Uverse internet and TV. I feel like I've moved lightyears ahead in quality. I keep getting Visa gift cards from them, too. And the iPhone Uverse app is amazing. You can program your DVR from anywhere. Internet is amazingly fast, vs constant service disruptions that we used to get w/ TWC.

Only downfalls are - the free instant on demand programming library is much less and the pay on demand is a little more expensive. Overall, it is amazing!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,417,724 times
Where can we get reliable info on rollout plans for this?!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 56,966 times
Only thing about Uverse I don't like is you don't get SportsSouth Carolinas which broadcast's most of the Bobcats games.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 PM

550 posts, read 1,617,640 times
Got U-Verse - love it!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,995,987 times
watching the playoffs on TNT this past week I have to say... my HD isn't as HD as it was with TWC... I'm sorely disappointed.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,930,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Where can we get reliable info on rollout plans for this?!
Southern Bell, err Bell South, err AT&T, is notoriously secret in roll out plans for new service. Probably the closet thing you can get to a conversation about this, without knowing someone on the inside, is to go to the AT&T of the SE forum on dslreports.com. There is also a general Uverse forum there as well.

AT&T Southeast forum - dslreports.com broadband community

Keep in mind that it will only be available in territory where Bellsouth/AT&T is the legacy telephone company. This will include almost all of Mecklenburg except for possibly some places near Union county. Gaston, Iredell, and I am pretty sure Lincolnton counties were all part of the former Bell System.

There were once a lot of independents in the surrounding counties and if you are located in one of those areas, there won't be Uverse. If memory serves me correctly this will include York, Union, Lancaster and Cabarrus counties.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM

416 posts, read 809,321 times
Do you have to have a box with each tv in order to access DVR programming from a central TV? This part of Uverse is interesting to me, but I wouldn't want to lease a box for each room I wanted to do this in.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Southern Bell, err Bell South, err AT&T, is notoriously secret in roll out plans for new service. Probably the closet thing you can get to a conversation about this, without knowing someone on the inside, is to go to the AT&T of the SE forum on dslreports.com. There is also a general Uverse forum there as well.

AT&T Southeast forum - dslreports.com broadband community

Keep in mind that it will only be available in territory where Bellsouth/AT&T is the legacy telephone company. This will include almost all of Mecklenburg except for possibly some places near Union county. Gaston, Iredell, and I am pretty sure Lincolnton counties were all part of the former Bell System.

There were once a lot of independents in the surrounding counties and if you are located in one of those areas, there won't be Uverse. If memory serves me correctly this will include York, Union, Lancaster and Cabarrus counties.
Thanks for the link - I did skim and nothing jumped out at me, but will keep half an eye on it.

I'm guessing that the limitation on availability to legacy Bellsouth folks is related to infrastructure, but I don't really follow the exact correlation. I can't imagine that they had a fiber core through most of the rural areas you mentioned (i.e. Iredell, Lincolnton)... so if they have to pull wire there to add UVerse, why is it different then just pulling wire in Union County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte