U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,025,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Do you have to have a box with each tv in order to access DVR programming from a central TV? This part of Uverse is interesting to me, but I wouldn't want to lease a box for each room I wanted to do this in.
Yes, there is one main DVR for the house, then small tuner boxes for each connected set.

You could always Slingbox to a computer if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,363,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Thanks for the link - I did skim and nothing jumped out at me, but will keep half an eye on it.

I'm guessing that the limitation on availability to legacy Bellsouth folks is related to infrastructure, but I don't really follow the exact correlation. I can't imagine that they had a fiber core through most of the rural areas you mentioned (i.e. Iredell, Lincolnton)... so if they have to pull wire there to add UVerse, why is it different then just pulling wire in Union County?
Because Union County already has local phone companies. Windstream and Verizon (soon to be Frontier).

AT&T has made it clear that they don't want to cross over into rural areas where they don't already offer local phone service. It's just not cost effective.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,915,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
..... so if they have to pull wire there to add UVerse, why is it different then just pulling wire in Union County?
Because they don't own the necessary telephone plant that makes it possible. That is telephone poles, central offices, and even ROW in peoples yards. Union county was once a hodgepodge of independents near Mecklenburg and GTE (General Telephone) in Monroe and most of the county. It's the successors of those companies that own that stuff now.

The other issue is that POTS, which this stuff runs over, is still a regulated monopoly and that alone will keep Bell from building their own plant there. They might be able to purchase space to run Uverse, but I expect the telephone plant there not to be designed for it. Windstream and others, probably are not very interested in having AT&T move in on their turf as well.

Uverse does not require fiber to be run to the home. It uses the existing pair of copper wires coming to the home that once provisioned correctly has more than enough bandwidth available needed to provide the services they are advertising.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,615,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
watching the playoffs on TNT this past week I have to say... my HD isn't as HD as it was with TWC... I'm sorely disappointed.
I think it's just as good...

Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,615,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Do you have to have a box with each tv in order to access DVR programming from a central TV? This part of Uverse is interesting to me, but I wouldn't want to lease a box for each room I wanted to do this in.
The only way you can access the DVR is through a box for each TV. The boxes are smaller than the Time Warner boxes, and also have the option of standing up vertically instead of having to lay down.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 AM

6 posts, read 16,082 times
I see quite a few positives for UVerse here. I wasn’t really sure so far after reading this post sometime back - [url=http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/triple-play/att-uverse-doomed.asp]AT&T U-verse Doomed?[/url]

Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM

249 posts, read 369,101 times
im still waiting on it to be available in 28031
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte