U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,232 times
Default Charlotte NC Speeding Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
I've never seen a bigger scam in my life than the speeding ticket thing here in NC. Basically, he will get a zillion attorney offers in the mail...pay them and they can typically get it to do "go away". I recently got a ticket and I was ABSOLUTELY NOT speeding. However, after wanting "justice" for how I was treated figured out that we have a real issue here and it isn't like other states. So I paid around $200 and it got knocked out. I am still fuming about this.
I have to agree the whole thing is a scam. Citizens of NC need to get together and topple this police state. My wife just got a ticket on 77 in Charlotte. She had just come out of a 65 mph and missed the reduction in speed limit to 55mph. Really easy to do. She was going 76 mph according to the officer (she said the car speedometer said 74). 21 over and an arrestable offense - ridiculously insane. Its just a money making scam. The whole thing - we have been getting letters from the lawyers (which we are going to have to use). Then you have something called a Prayer that you may be able to use, but need to be careful about using them cause you only get one Prayer for the whole family every three years - another joke (why shouldn't I get my own prayer). Give me a break. If you know 77 you know that 76mph is not reckless driving - 55 mph through there is a joke - as long as traffic is light (this was a Sunday morning).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 PM

11,763 posts, read 17,764,522 times
Prayer for justice? I had one of those back in 2003 for going 45 in a 35 in my neighborhood. You go to traffic school which is 8 hours of complete boredom. As far as I was told the PfJ applied to me only.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,018,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Prayer for justice? I had one of those back in 2003 for going 45 in a 35 in my neighborhood. You go to traffic school which is 8 hours of complete boredom. As far as I was told the PfJ applied to me only.
The PFJ works for the entire family.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzejb View Post
I have to agree the whole thing is a scam. Citizens of NC need to get together and topple this police state. My wife just got a ticket on 77 in Charlotte. She had just come out of a 65 mph and missed the reduction in speed limit to 55mph. Really easy to do. She was going 76 mph according to the officer (she said the car speedometer said 74). 21 over and an arrestable offense - ridiculously insane. Its just a money making scam. The whole thing - we have been getting letters from the lawyers (which we are going to have to use). Then you have something called a Prayer that you may be able to use, but need to be careful about using them cause you only get one Prayer for the whole family every three years - another joke (why shouldn't I get my own prayer). Give me a break. If you know 77 you know that 76mph is not reckless driving - 55 mph through there is a joke - as long as traffic is light (this was a Sunday morning).
Hmm. Seems to me the only part of that highway that slows to 55 is the portion within the city between the northern and southern section of I-485. It's a congested difficult road to drive given the bridges, tight ramps, curves, and very old construction. It's not the speed limit that scares me through there, or the police enforcing it. It's the people who decide the law doesn't apply to them, they know better when it comes appropriate speed, and will do as they please. In regards to missing the posted speed limit, there are multiple signs, with flags added that warn people to slow down. I don't see how you can't miss it. Aside from that, anyone should know they don't keep 65 mph speed limits through cities. It is the driver's responsibility to pay attention to these signs because they are there for everyone's safety.

I don't have much sympathy for your case as those speed limits are there because others have been killed on this road because people don't drive responsibly. The ridiculous part of this, since you used the word, is driving 76 mph through downtown on a road that wasn't designed for it.

I've got a lot of other complaints about NC, but keeping tabs on irresponsible drivers, and driving 20+ mph over the speed limit is irresponsible, isn't one of them. If anything, they need to do more enforcement.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM

3,556 posts, read 9,158,351 times
Quote:
...If you know 77 you know that 76mph is not reckless driving - 55 mph through there is a joke - as long as traffic is light (this was a Sunday morning).
So it's OK to do 11 miles over if it's Sunday? Riiiiiiiight Oh, and I DO know I-77 and reluctantly travel on it 5 days a week.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,873,327 times
Quote:
Even if she was going 75 in a 65 (we'll split the difference between her speedometer and the cop's radar gun) - that's still over the speed limit so she has no one to blame but herself.

If one chooses to speed and then gets busted, just pay the fine and don't whine about it.

I guess it would be easier to "topple the police state" instead of either slowing down or taking responsibility for one's own actions.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 AM

442 posts, read 686,710 times
Either answer the question or hit the back button. Seriously, we know there are perfect little drivers out there who do not EVER EVER speed even one MPH over. The poster was asking the rest of us (99% of the drivers).

I can't help you. I speed, but haven't been caught in this crazy state. In Md, they thank you for only going 20 over on the interstate.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM

4,010 posts, read 5,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Either answer the question or hit the back button. Seriously, we know there are perfect little drivers out there who do not EVER EVER speed even one MPH over. The poster was asking the rest of us (99% of the drivers).

I can't help you. I speed, but haven't been caught in this crazy state. In Md, they thank you for only going 20 over on the interstate.
So far it seems to me that you are the only one that has posted in the topic to not have answered the question. I might be wrong, but I think the holder of such a ticket in NC really wouldn't give a rat's ____ (ok, trying to be polite) about the situation of speeding in Maryland.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:04 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,873,327 times
Quote:
Here is the answer: Pay the fine. Get over it. Move on with your life.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 PM

348 posts, read 451,936 times
Quote:

I don't live in NC - yet. I am curious as to what makes the state "crazy"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte