Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:39 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,006,741 times

Advertisements

<editorial comment/> NC has become a leading state for retirement relocation, but it's with the assumption that you'll have the money to look after yourself </editorial comment>

I can remember the senior assistance my grandmother got, back in Illinois: rebate on property taxes, utility assistance, a rent controlled apartment whose cost was based on her income and medical expenses, etc. I don't recall my friends down here (we're all in the age group to have aging parents) talking about anything other than how hard a time their folks are having, trying to manage on a limited income. Kind of scares me about our retirement, hopefully only a decade down the road. We're diligent about saving and having insurance for assisted care, but one catastrophic illness can wipe all that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 08:42 AM

88 posts, read 249,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702
Thanks, love, I appreciate the info. I'm glad to hear that your parents made the move and have been able to get some assistance through the program you mentioned. I too am hoping my parents can make the move with us because I really want to stay close to them, especially as they get older. I posted in both North and South Carolina because we are considering both. I will check into those sites you listed. Again, thanks a lot!

Thank you lovethecarolinas....like both of you....I have to look into these types of services myself for my parents. I too am hoping that my parents can make the move because I want my kids to stay close to their grandparents.

lovethecarolinas....how are your parents adjusting. Would love to know how the SR's adjust to a big change in this period of their lives.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:23 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,183,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeohana
Thank you lovethecarolinas....like both of you....I have to look into these types of services myself for my parents. I too am hoping that my parents can make the move because I want my kids to stay close to their grandparents.

lovethecarolinas....how are your parents adjusting. Would love to know how the SR's adjust to a big change in this period of their lives.
hey there leeohana, my parents have been here a year and 8 months now. I will not lie..it was an adjustment for them. I think the hardest part for them was leaving their church family behind (they have since joined a new church now that they really seem to enjoy). The other thing (for my Dad who is a retired trucker driver) is not being able to get his directional bearings (everything seems reversed ). But overall they are both very happy, and say if they had to do it all over again they would!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
hey there leeohana, my parents have been here a year and 8 months now. I will not lie..it was an adjustment for them. I think the hardest part for them was leaving their church family behind (they have since joined a new church now that they really seem to enjoy). The other thing (for my Dad who is a retired trucker driver) is not being able to get his directional bearings (everything seems reversed ). But overall they are both very happy, and say if they had to do it all over again they would!

Have they made any freinds? MY mother is a tough nut to crack, she thinks everyone should come up to her and introduce themselves. My father was the out going one.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:54 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,183,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Have they made any freinds? MY mother is a tough nut to crack, she thinks everyone should come up to her and introduce themselves. My father was the out going one.
They have made friends (at their church...and where they live). My Mother has never met a stranger and my Dad is an (unpaid/over-rated) comedian so they haven't had any problems socializing (51 years together this past April)

Regarding your Mother a1m1700....if she comes to the Carolina's (or let me refraise that...When....she comes to the Carolinas) she might have just found her spot in life...as I have had many a stranger come up and introduce themselves to me (I can count on one finger how many times that happened in CA).

Old 12-25-2006, 05:56 PM

96 posts, read 274,925 times
Default Retirement Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I've been trying to find out the same info. Not a good sign maybe they don;t have anything

TRY....

retirement living information center.com

LOVE THE U.S.A. ( BOB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte