Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 AM

6 posts, read 21,636 times

Advertisements

In a previous post, I mentioned that part of the criteria I was looking for in a neighborhood was one that was "liberal". I was reminded that indeed this was the Bible Belt, and that I was going to be hard pressed to perhaps find what was I was looking for.

In MI, where I am from, there are areas that are considered hotbeds of "liberal" thinking- these tend to be the artsy, funky towns or perhaps the university towns- Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, etc..

In parts of the state when you mention these areas, people who are perhaps more conservative, might roll their eyes at the very mention of these towns. ; )

So my question is, around Charlotte, where are the areas that make Conservatives roll their eyes, or do they simply not exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Charlotte's reputation is that of a banking center and family-friendly place. Additonally, church is still an important part of many people's lives. Although you might find some small pockets of liberal thinking, I wouldn't label anything about Charlotte as being "very liberal."

When people do the "liberal eye-roll thing", mostly they are talking about the college towns of Durham and Chapel Hill....try there for what you are looking for.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:54 AM

107 posts, read 121,150 times
hmm... does this mean that liberals are not churchgoers? interesting.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 AM

367 posts, read 1,029,428 times
Does it really matter? Live where you want and live the way you want. I vote conservative, but I am steadfastly unreligious. My conservativism is based on fiscal responsiblity, not any religious belief. This is America, we all don't have to think alike to live together. My wife takes my children to church every week. I choose not to participate. I was raised in church and when I became an adult, I formed my own beliefs. My children have the oppurtunity to do the same. America is great that way!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:09 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1970 View Post
Nope, but if we are doing the "eye-roll thing" about the variety liberal that he is looking for (as he asked), I'm thinking he is probably looking for some very different lifestyle than the church is teaching (which is not to say that he would not be welcomed in the church if he is interested in trying to live by the Ten Commandments), but...if we are seriously asking if he can feel comfortable living an "eye-roll" lifestyle and find a community of like-minded folks who support him in that lifestyle, would you say he would find that in Charlotte? Can you point him to a pocket of extreme liberalism here?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 AM

107 posts, read 121,150 times
hey not sure i really get what you mean by the "eye roll thing" or what stereotyped liberal person is being painted here, but dont think church was even a criteria that he gave in his search for a progressive part of the city.

anyway that being said, we all need to love each other. i think that was the new commandment given to us all.

jwoollatt: listen guy, go check out NoDa or Elizabeth or Chantilly. Join my art studio and meet me at the Evening Muse for some acoustic music.

Keep it real, buddy.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 AM

197 posts, read 735,934 times
My husband and I are quite liberal and live in Weddington and attend Southbrook church in Weddington. Although I would not classify any part of the Charlotte area as liberal on the whole, we have found many friends that think like us and feel very comfortable here so there is hope And the Waxhaw area used to have a huge liberal/artist contingency although that is changing as the cookie cutter subdivsions move in at lightening speed.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,877 times
Charlotte might not be very liberal, but think about all the new residents moving from South Florida and the Northeast. All these folks are usually liberals and have the most varied life styles.
Don't let others run your life. Do as you wish as long as you don't harm others. I myself am gay and will move in with my life partner to the Charlotte area. I will not let any body tell me where I can or cannot live. In the contrary, if I see that people are rolling their eyes at my "life style", then I will make it more obvious, so they get use to it until it is no longer an issue.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1970 View Post

Why are you picking apart what this person is saying? He or she is picking up on what the original poster was asking for. He or she mentioned bible belt which means a lot of church goers. He mentioned conservatives rolling their eyes at what he's looking for. I think the original poster was implying these things about his or her liberal ideas and the person is admitting they are far left enough to make conservative rolls their eyes.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 21,636 times
Thank you everyone so far for yor thoughtful replies to my posting so far.

I guess the main thing I am looking for is tolerance. Will my children and I be excepted no matter what our beliefs, or will we have a hard time because we are left leaning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte