Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from Tampa Florida to Charlotte North Carolina, seek information on pros and cons of Charlotte, Tampa compared to Charlotte, Charlotte job market

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 AM

59 posts, read 233,883 times

Advertisements

Looking to leave florida(native of Ohio) in the next year or two and basically just shopping around. I'm a single female with soon to be adult daughter looking to attend college. I have a degree in business and many years of experience in various fields(banking, healthcare, marketing, publishing). How easy is it to get a job and what neighborhoods are a good fit for college student and mother???? We will be visiting within the next week and like to checkout some suggested areas. Thanks in advance for the good, bad and everything in between!!!

P.S. How is Charlotte compared to Tampa????

Last edited by Kat_Woman36; 06-03-2007 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,673 times
Welcome to NC. Maybe you should try to find a place in the University area north of downtown. You will find that Charlotte is totally different from FL. The people are friendlier and real estate prices are very low compared to FL. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:06 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,486 times
Thumbs up University area

I second HGONZ001 idea!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:27 PM

79 posts, read 287,139 times
Some of my family has recently moved to the Indian Land area. Check out developments like Bridgemill off 521. I too am from Florida and buying a second home in Indian Land to be near my family when I can.

It is so much better than Florida I think, except for the weather in winter. I think you'll like Fort MIll/ Indian Land as it is close to Charlotte but not overcrowded.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM

295 posts, read 1,061,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Woman36 View Post
Looking to leave florida(native of Ohio) in the next year or two and basically just shopping around. I'm a single female with soon to be adult daughter looking to attend college. I have a degree in business and many years of experience in various fields(banking, healthcare, marketing, publishing). How easy is it to get a job and what neighborhoods are a good fit for college student and mother???? We will be visiting within the next week and like to checkout some suggested areas. Thanks in advance for the good, bad and everything in between!!!

I moved to Charlotte from the Tampa (Palm Harbor) area as well, and I don't miss it. I would recommend that you look in Concord UNC, Fort Mill S.C, and Huntersville. As for colleges, Huntersville has Davidson College and Concord has UNC.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Thumbs up We're here!!!!

Thanks all for the info i really appreciate it!! I've landed in the UNC@charlotte area after a long day(6/09/07) of checking out the city. First let me say NC is a nice clean state, the people for the most part are nice and the city is a lot bigger than i expected but pretty easy to find your way around. Tomorrow I'll set out to do more exploring. Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:43 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,721 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Woman36 View Post

We live in Huntersville and I do know it has a large medical presence with the Presby Hosp and a bunch of med parks here, a very safe area, too. Concord, Harrisburg, Highland Creek, Moss Creek seems to be good, too. The areas just didn't fit our needs and I felt more comfortable in Huntersville. I think the University area is probably decent but there will probably be some issues with wild college students. It also seems like college areas attract nuts that prey on young women, seems like it happens near every major university, including Tampa.

The job hunting can be difficult but seems like I heard accounting wasn't too bad of a field. If you search the site, you can find info on accounting placement services and see what others have to say. I don't personally have experience with accounting but it seems like all businesses need some kind of accounting professional. You will probably find at least a 10% decrease in pay on average, if not more, coming from Tampa. I lost 45.45% of my income as a legal secretary from Tampa to Charlotte but I am p/t which doesn't seem to pay as well. I think I was in demand in Tampa and there is more competition in Charlotte. At least I have a job, I could still be looking!

My husband seems to think the crime is about the same in Tampa as Charlotte. I lean to Charlotte being a little worse but I didn't see it where I worked in Tampa and he has in both areas. I'm working around the governmental center u/t and I'm exposed to the element on the streets daily, so I'm probably biased. I used to work d/t Tampa but very close to the CrossTown X-pressway, not a bad area at all and I wasn't near the courthouse.

I honestly miss Tampa! I miss the weather, beaches, almost year-round outdoor concerts, landscaping, etc. You should be able to get more real estate for your money here, and pay less in taxes and insurance. I do have a friend that pays more in auto ins but I think there are ticket and accident issues that finally caught up with them. Charlotte appears to be more family-oriented, religious, and friendlier than Tampa. Charlotte probably does have more to offer families and a better lifestyle for them. We don't have kids so it's not as much of a concern to me. If it wasn't for the cost of living, a death in the family, family being here, my husband's transfer, we'd probably still be in Tampa if I had my way!

I do, however, enjoy it here. I've made a lot of friends and have family nearby. It's definitely calmer than other areas that I've lived in like Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale. There's not much that I can't find from home here, either. But I live in an area that appears to have a lot of northerners and it is in demand.

I'm glad you arrived here safely and hope you enjoy your trip! If you want to drop me a pm, feel free! I'll try to provide you what I know about the area and give you some comparisons. I also try to post both sides of the fence, not all negs but also not wearing rose-colored glasses, either.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM

22 posts, read 82,408 times
Kat_Woman36,

Please post about your visit. I am an Ohio native, have spent the last 3 years in St. Pete, and am also curious as to how Charlotte compares. I am just getting ready to look for work and am trying to decide where to plant roots. We like it here, but it is pretty expensive and it may not be feasible for us to stay. I have a spouse and a 5 year old, so we might be more focused on schools than you, but comparisons with Ohio weather, housing, culture, etc. would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
There are several schools in and around Charlotte. You may want to research those schools and chose a home nearby.

Here is a recent thread about some of the colleges in the area

Quote:
As for colleges, Huntersville has Davidson College and Concord has UNC.
Davidson is in Davidson, NC and UNC Charlotte is in Charlotte. UNC is in Chapel Hill.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up OK..This my take NC vs FL

Thanks once again to all for the good bad and everything in between!!!! NC is a very nice state the drive was nice and the gas is cheaper!!HAHA Charlotte is a cute city it has lots of stores and restuarants and it's an easy city to navigate. My daughter enjoyed visiting UNC@charlotte and she really fell in love with the University area, we stayed at the sleep inn @harris and tryon. I really enjoyed uptown, the building designs and the live music was hot! Charlotte has a northern feel to it I didnt feel like i was in the south there. The city is nice and clean with more attractive, affordable, safe housing areas and the cost of living is cheaper than Tampa. The quality of life seems to be better than Tampa in my opinion appearance means alot!! Major cities should at least keep up appearances and Charlotte did a great job appearance wise!! While I love FL (Tampa) it is too expensive and is lacking in appearance(Too many run down areas) to keep getting my hard earned money(and i live in the subs). Charlotte area jobs (banking/healthcare) pay a little more than Tampa but Fla dont have state taxes. Also, the commute to different areas wasnt a long drive, in FL the distance is too long from A to B. I was surprised to see that the area has a large population and a diverse group of people (lots of transplants like fl). The traffic was thick but moved along pretty fast even on the weekend. What's up with that "Hall of fame" tax? Wow and the Nascar stadium is hugh and very nice. I like the fact that NC is not so isolated there's other states within short distances like Sc, Va, Ga. In Fl you're stuck in Fl for at least a 5 hour drive. I have to say as a native of Ohio, NC has caught my attention and I plan on visiting more and maybe even moving there after I check out a few other states. I'd rather live in NC and visit FL for those enquiring minds that want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte