U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 PM

368 posts, read 811,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
thanks
Im going to book mark your post #5
sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:03 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Some of the most stylish people do it this way (thrifting.)
I think so, too. He grew up seeing me "re-purpose" some of my own clothes, not b/c I couldn't afford to buy something new - but b/c I love beautiful fabrics and like having my own unique items.

If you choose the right spot and market your store to the right demographics, I am sure you will get the traffic. Just not sure about the sales b/c of the economic situation we are in. However, my hubby reminds me every so often that we may have 12-20% off the folks in the workforce out of work - but that still leaves 80% with jobs and discretionary income!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,051,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think so, too. He grew up seeing me "re-purpose" some of my own clothes, not b/c I couldn't afford to buy something new - but b/c I love beautiful fabrics and like having my own unique items.

If you choose the right spot and market your store to the right demographics, I am sure you will get the traffic. Just not sure about the sales b/c of the economic situation we are in. However, my hubby reminds me every so often that we may have 12-20% off the folks in the workforce out of work - but that still leaves 80% with jobs and discretionary income!

Ani, I like your husband's perspective The glass is three quarters full (almost)

Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 AM

103 posts, read 216,460 times
Originally from NY, but having lived here now for 13 years, my observation is that the Charlotte region is simply much more laid back than other areas. And I kinda like that, frankly. There's no pressure to be a fashionista, but if you want to be one, you can make it happen (as anifani821 mentioned). Even in Paris, I've always been surprised that the average guy on the street is wearing a nice fitting pair of jeans, attractive but comfortable/casual leather shoes, and a nice T-shirt or button-down with maybe a sports jacket or something. Of course, go to a party or event or something, and that's a different story....

Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times
I like that Blackbird site - but, seriously, guys wearing cropped pants?!?!? If that's high fashion, I'll pass.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I like that Blackbird site - but, seriously, guys wearing cropped pants?!?!? If that's high fashion, I'll pass.
Same goes for all of those funky plaid shirts.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

I liked some of the boots, too. But when they are "on sale" for $300+, I have to think twice. Boots are something I'll wear everyday.

Yet, I'll happily plunk down $500+ for a watch *movement* that I don't even have a dial or case for. I'm a nutter...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM

368 posts, read 811,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Then you probably wouldn't be a fan of Thom Browne suits. Or his men's skirts.

FWIW I'm not either.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:25 AM

Men's skirts? Aren't those called kilts and worn mostly by Scottish folks? LOL

Yeah, there are some current fashion trends I just can't get onboard with. I don't need XXXXL pants that could fit 3 of me in them, but you certainly won't see me wearing those low-waisted skinny jeans, either. Sorry.

I *do* like those Chausser cordovan shoes ($471?!?!?!) and those ACNE Jeans boots (slightly more affordable at $345), as well as some of the Rag and Bone jeans.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM

169 posts, read 280,560 times
I lived in Denver, CO and visited a consignment shop for men and it had some great clothing, custom made suits from Toronto, fabric that you'd never see in any stores and from all over. I have no clue where he found his items but he traveled alot. That might be something to look at versus new especially since I ordered shirts from Thailand that were cheaper then Polo outlet and fit perfectly and who can compete with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte