U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 9,235,229 times

Advertisements

OK, I'll join in this one. I perused the Creative Loafing article and I've go to to admit I'm not quite sure what point it's trying to get across. A lot of you who might know me from my posts here are probably quite aware that I'm an avid fan of live music, which is one thing that brought me TO Charlotte, since it is a lacking of other places I've lived before now.

There are a huge amount of smaller venues for live music (Tremont, Amos', Neighborhood Theater, Visulite, Double Door, etal), all of the outdoor events around the metro area, as well as the big venues. There are regular events like the Tosca Music Party that bring together local, regional, and national talent from a huge variety of backgrounds, ages, and musical influences. I have seen many instances where a local musician or band has been allowed to come onstage and join a much larger well-known act in an ad-hoc jam session.

Now, that article specifically mentions "Charlotte's Black Music Scene". Well, what exactly is that? I know of a fellow co-worker who fronts a band, who is black, and has quite a bit of support locally. Everytime I'm at a show, and I'm watching someone like Lonny Brooks Jr. tearing through the crowd at the Neighborhood Theater, or a band like Living Colour tearing it up at Tremont, or anyone else out there doing it day in and day out, I do have to look around and wonder, where are the black people? Why aren't the crowds at these shows an almost equal mix of white, black, and other ethnicities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
OK, I'll join in this one. I perused the Creative Loafing article and I've go to to admit I'm not quite sure what point it's trying to get across. A lot of you who might know me from my posts here are probably quite aware that I'm an avid fan of live music, which is one thing that brought me TO Charlotte, since it is a lacking of other places I've lived before now.

There are a huge amount of smaller venues for live music (Tremont, Amos', Neighborhood Theater, Visulite, Double Door, etal), all of the outdoor events around the metro area, as well as the big venues. There are regular events like the Tosca Music Party that bring together local, regional, and national talent from a huge variety of backgrounds, ages, and musical influences. I have seen many instances where a local musician or band has been allowed to come onstage and join a much larger well-known act in an ad-hoc jam session.

Now, that article specifically mentions "Charlotte's Black Music Scene". Well, what exactly is that? I know of a fellow co-worker who fronts a band, who is black, and has quite a bit of support locally. Everytime I'm at a show, and I'm watching someone like Lonny Brooks Jr. tearing through the crowd at the Neighborhood Theater, or a band like Living Colour tearing it up at Tremont, or anyone else out there doing it day in and day out, I do have to look around and wonder, where are the black people? Why aren't the crowds at these shows an almost equal mix of white, black, and other ethnicities?
I like your insight, it's good to hear from someone who actually attend these events on a regular basis. Charlotte does have a live music scene, it may be on a smaller scale compared to other cities, but there is something out there. Eventually, Charlotte's live music scene will take off, where it can compete with other cities, with an attractive scene of its own, it is just a matter of finding a niche that is appropriate to its tastes.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM

146 posts, read 87,466 times
let's be real, in Charlotte there is still a pretty specific decision between white and black folks

white people in Charlotte act a certain way around only white people and black people in Charlotte act a certain way around only black people...that's not unique to Charlotte by any stretch, but in some sense, it's more pronounced in a smaller city where the social scene wants to expand...you can't ignore it:

take for example,

black people want a place where they can go and be black without experiencing forms of "racism": not being let in due to skin color, white-imposed dress codes or other stipulations, having to hear "white/mainstream music" etc...black people liketo discuss things that are important to them (and not so much to white people) and party without being judged by white people, regardless of whether it's a nightclub or a concert

white people want similar places where they can go and be white without black people "disrupting" the whole scene...they want to discuss things that are important to them (and not so much to black people), and sing and dance (poorly) along to questionable black music (especially certain lyrics) without being judged by black people, regardless of whether it's a nightclub or a concert

when these two worlds collide, anywhere, including Charlotte...I think that's where the rubber really meets the road...that's not to say that it doesn't happen in Charlotte, but the OP made specific reference to the black music community supporting itself...andI don't think Charlotte is quite big enough (31% black) to have a weekly, self-sustaining black music scene...in order for local music scenes to work, with any skin color, there has to be a sizeable population first, and then the age demographics and social openess to support this stuff...that is unless, you break down the racial barriers and create a truly integrated environment (thru festivals, etc) that only certain places in the world have...where you can put different races and creeds together in the same place and they can enjoy the same things without tensions...but there are way too many racial taboos that still exist in the social sphere of Charlotte that certain things have to tilt dramatically for these types of scenes the OP is promoting to survive here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte