Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:48 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoorecharlotte View Post
"Crime increases in Charlotte schools" - March 5, 2010

Crime increases in Charlotte schools

"Crime and violent behavior increased last year in Mecklenburg County schools, while declining in smaller counties throughout North Carolina."

"Last year, victims in Mecklenburg County included 95 teachers, 43 teacher assistants, custodians, bus drivers and cafeteria workers, 13 principals and assistant principals, 12 campus security guards and six police officers who work at schools."

"Superintendent Peter Gorman said in a news release that Charlotte’s increase in assaults on employees, from 104 in 2007-08 to 169 in 2008-09, is troubling."

In addition to parenting classes I guess they need to add self defense classes. No one, teachers nor students should have to be in this type of environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Very true but fixing these problems won't help the budgetary issues in our schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoorecharlotte View Post
"Crime increases in Charlotte schools" - March 5, 2010

Crime increases in Charlotte schools

"Crime and violent behavior increased last year in Mecklenburg County schools, while declining in smaller counties throughout North Carolina."

"Last year, victims in Mecklenburg County included 95 teachers, 43 teacher assistants, custodians, bus drivers and cafeteria workers, 13 principals and assistant principals, 12 campus security guards and six police officers who work at schools."

"Superintendent Peter Gorman said in a news release that Charlotte’s increase in assaults on employees, from 104 in 2007-08 to 169 in 2008-09, is troubling."

Old 03-14-2010, 02:00 PM

108 posts, read 119,364 times
I suggest a taser or stun gun for teachers, paraprofessionals, and substitutes. The numbers above are absolutely horrible. No wonder civilized students are being sent to private schools.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:35 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Just wanted to chime in here that CMS's per pupil expediture is 70th in the state at $8,896 (includes local, state and federal sources and includes child nutrition). Hyde County is number 1 at $16,310. source:
http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...009profile.pdf
pages 48-49

Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Just wanted to chime in here that CMS's per pupil expediture is 70th in the state at $8,896 (includes local, state and federal sources and includes child nutrition). Hyde County is number 1 at $16,310. source:
pages 48-49
No wonder look at the size of Hyde County 5000+

Old 03-14-2010, 07:05 PM

314 posts, read 486,118 times
That probably is due to the fact that Hyde County only has a total of 656 students from Kindergarten to 12th grade.( Page 191 )
Hence, a lot of state and federal money "per" student.
Compare that to Mecklenburg County's enrollment of 130,296 students from Kindergarten to 12th grade, and you can see that these figures/rankings are misleading. ( Page 217 )

Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM

314 posts, read 486,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
No wonder look at the size of Hyde County 5000+
Exactly

Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMcAlister View Post
MMorecharlotte, lets be realistic. First it isn't color that parents worry about in the schools, it is behavior and attitude of the student that transfers. Parents and students that want success don't want to lose that opportunity because of disruptions. I don't want to see a "A" rated school brought down to a "D" for the sake of importing disruptive, noncaring students for the purpose of integrating them into a more nurturing, motivated environment just to be political correct. An underachieving school is so because of the lack of parent involvement, lack of motivation by the student, and disruptions that disallow teachers from teaching those that what to learn. Do you really think a student will do better by transferring him/her to a better school? He/she is more likely subjected to a bigger chance failure due to stiffer academic challenges. You mentioned that programs are coming to provide money to low income schools to produce equal results in classrooms. What miracle will this money provide? Have you notice that it hasn't worked in the last 50 years? If having the best students at the best schools and the nonmotivated ones at the worse is wrong, I don't won't to be right. Too bad so many have to spend so much in private schools just to ensure that their child gets a proper education that is now possible because of disruptive, unmotivated students in their classrooms otherwise.

Lowcountry: I have numerous times heard the motivated black student being accused of "acting wh...." So to many in certain circles, it is more acceptable to be and ignorant and unemployed. That is a real shame. Anyone that wants a great education in the U.S. has a chance to achieve it with minimal effort. People have to stop pointing the fingers at teachers, CMS, funding, etc. and start pointing at community leaders, activists, preachers, and parents. Then a kick in the butt to motivate doesn't hurt either.
Very well put and I couldn't agree more. Sadly, a lot of parents nowadays look at schools to be babysitters for 6-7 hours a day and do nothing to reinforce the importance of education. Yes, there are bad teachers out there but at the same time you can have the cream of the crop at a school but if the parents don't back up the teachers and have the students follow up on what they are doing at school than the system just fails but it's easier for the state/school systems to point the finger at the teacher rather than the students home life. A lot less backlash doing it that way I suppose.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM

108 posts, read 119,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
pages 48-49
I believe this comparison could be catagorized as 'mixing apples with oranges.'

Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I only mentioned the per pupil expenditure because back in Post # 11 someone thought CMS had the highest per pupil expediture. Yes one could say it's apples and oranges between Hyde and Mecklenburg, but why should we not get upset about taxpaper money going disproportionately to a rural sparsely populated county as well? My point was that Meck is in the middle of the pack and I would be curious as to where it stands nationwide compared to similarly sized cities, but I don't have time to do the research now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte