U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 PM

39 posts, read 66,584 times
Lightbulb Possibly relocating to Charlotte...

Hello everyone,

I previously posted in the NOVA/DC forums because me and my husband are trying to scout out places to live. Currently we are in the Tampa Bay Florida area and are looking for 4 seasons, a change of scenery, and new place to explore/live.... etc.

My husband works for a company with job opportunities in almost every state, so he can get transfered to whatever location we decide on. I'm in my early 20's, he's in mid 30's... both college graduates, hopefully we'll be parents in 2-3 years time, our projected income when I finish grad school will be around $100,000+. We were originally attracted to the DC area because of the city environment. But the cost of living was a tad too high, and a couple of people on my other post recommended we check out NC. We're looking for a mix of semi-big-city + affordable living (i.e. maybe the suburbs).

So.... we're planning on making a road trip to Charlotte in August and then a side trip to the Great Smokey Mountains. But my question is... what do you all recommend to do for us to get a feel for whether we would like to live in the Charlotte area? Are there any specific areas we should visit to get a feel for the place? Also, what are your opinions of life in the Charlotte area? Anybody originally from Florida who have opinions on the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 04:36 PM

43,319 posts, read 51,875,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
Hello everyone,

I previously posted in the NOVA/DC forums because me and my husband are trying to scout out places to live. Currently we are in the Tampa Bay Florida area and are looking for 4 seasons, a change of scenery, and new place to explore/live.... etc.

My husband works for a company with job opportunities in almost every state, so he can get transfered to whatever location we decide on. I'm in my early 20's, he's in mid 30's... both college graduates, hopefully we'll be parents in 2-3 years time, our projected income when I finish grad school will be around $100,000+. We were originally attracted to the DC area because of the city environment. But the cost of living was a tad too high, and a couple of people on my other post recommended we check out NC. We're looking for a mix of semi-big-city + affordable living (i.e. maybe the suburbs).

So.... we're planning on making a road trip to Charlotte in August and then a side trip to the Great Smokey Mountains. But my question is... what do you all recommend to do for us to get a feel for whether we would like to live in the Charlotte area? Are there any specific areas we should visit to get a feel for the place? Also, what are your opinions of life in the Charlotte area? Anybody originally from Florida who have opinions on the move?
NC is a great place to live, even better if you have a job , so it's a good thing your husband can transfer with his!

When visiting Charlotte to scope it out you'll want to see several quadrants - first of all, visit our downtown, which we call "uptown". You can ride the light rail, visit some museums, get a great meal.

Next, you'll want to check out south Charlotte, in particular, the Southpark area for upscale retail, nice restaurants and neighborhoods. Then take a ride up interstate 77 North to see the north end of the county and the Lake Norman area. I personally find it a bit too congested up that way, but many people love living there.

Venture west of the city limits to check out the US National Whitewater Rafting Center http://www.usnwc.org/ , or east of the city to perhaps pan for gold at Reed Gold Mine http://www.reedmine.com/

It would be helpful to research the address for your husbands company here in Charlotte because you'd want to plan to live as near to where he works as possible. Then you could spend you time exploring that specific area real well during your visit. Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 03-14-2010 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM

34,519 posts, read 40,076,180 times
Quote:
huh? what does that even mean??
It means Pink thinks Loves is very generous to provide you with such helpful info.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It means Pink thinks Loves is very generous to provide you with such helpful info.
Oh thanks, I get it now. Yes I agree the information was very useful and I can't wait to visit. I'm going to AAA today to see if I can get a map of the area and some travel info.

Thanks 'lovesmountains' for the help!

Actually my husband's company is everywhere... he works for Circle K in management. So as long as a district has a need, he can transfer. We looked up Circle K in the Charlotte area and there are tons, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Any other suggestions out there?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM

12,276 posts, read 11,543,159 times
Quote:
Oh thanks, I get it now. Yes I agree the information was very useful and I can't wait to visit. I'm going to AAA today to see if I can get a map of the area and some travel info.

Thanks 'lovesmountains' for the help!

Actually my husband's company is everywhere... he works for Circle K in management. So as long as a district has a need, he can transfer. We looked up Circle K in the Charlotte area and there are tons, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Any other suggestions out there?
Do you want to live in the city, the suburbs, or further out?

Tell us what you want. We will make suggestions accordingly. There are people who post from all over the Charlotte metro area. The more specific you are, the better we can help you.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 AM

554 posts, read 775,087 times
I think you'll like Charlotte too! I wanted to move to a city feel but get away from NYC (cold and dirty) I picked Charlotte and am so happy I did. At first I was upset because the city isn't really a city feel. Drive 3 blocks and the "city" sky-scrapping buildings are over. But you have to remember its a growing city, and its not like NYC - its its own city. Southpark is great, Dilowrth, Noda, Myers Park...and then of course Ballanytne, to which I am bias because it is the reason I really fell in love with the area. My wants may have been different than yours though - I already have a 3 year old daughter so I didn't feel comfortable with living uptown with her. In hindsight, you could...but at the time I heard so much about the crime that I looked for safety to be most important. BUT with that being said, the crime is over-hyped. Take it from someone who was scared to death after reading so many things about it - I've been here a year and it's no different than any other city. I feel safe at home but of course don't be stupid and walk alone at night and don't leave valuables in the car...most of the crime is break in related...and then of course just like every other city its got its ghettos (East and West Charlotte). Anyway, check out all these areas - whats cool is they all have something different to offer and it just depends on what fits you. I really dig all the areas though - Ballantyne just suits my life best at this time. The whole city is growing...its great. I liked it better than DC...

Good luck in deciding, let us know what you decide :-)

Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM

554 posts, read 775,087 times
Oh one more thing..when I was a small kid I lived in Florida but then we moved to NY BUT still kept our home in Florida until I was 18 (we would take vacations 3 times a year there). We owned in Pompano. I don't really remember Tampa much...but Charlotte is a much different than Pompano. Florida is beautiful but for me I want 4 seasons. You will definitely get 4 seasons in Charlotte unlike Florida....everyone says this winter was the worst for Charlotte so I can't comment on winter here but I am very happy here. But you won't see the palm trees like Florida...and the closest beach is 3 hours away.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM

14 posts, read 14,082 times
Default Re Charlotte

The city and the surrrounding area offer just about every choice, Lake Norman 15 from Charlotte is a nice option, for many reasons. Grt climate, low cost of living etc.

Good luck if you any specific info fire away!

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Old 03-15-2010, 12:44 PM

Some of you asked what I want...

-a combination of a city + suburbs (i.e. we were originally thinking of living in the suburbs close to DC or even DC itself), but what made us change our mind was we wanted more house than we could afford in DC. We want a nice home in a nice neighborhood... doesn't have to be huge, just comfortable and in a good location. We're looking to spend between 300-400k on our first house. I like big cities but I also like malls, nice suburban grocery stores, and greenery too. I like neighborhoods where each house feels different and has it's own character. I'd want to live close enough to the city to feel like I could do city stuff without spending half my day in commute.

Actually I like FL because I love to go to the pool and take walks on the beach. But my husband doesn't like the intense FL heat and no change of seasons. Also, I think it might be good to see and do new things, that's why we're open to this move. The only family we have in FL is my mom and brother (who is away at school) and my mom would be open to a condo in whatever city we move to. Basically we have nothing holding us down to one place or another, and are trying to find a good place to call 'home'.

FL is not totally out of the picture yet, but I feel NC might be a better option taking both our feelings into consideration.

For those of you living in Charlotte area, what are some things you all do for fun? Does anyone ever have a pool in Charlotte or is that kind of a rarity?

Thanks for your help...

Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 14,082 times
Default re Huntersville

This area has communities with pools, tennis court,s trails , gold courses etc.

Some have their own pools in backyard, its nice upscale area, without the cost. nationally speaking.

Quote:
Some of you asked what I want...

-a combination of a city + suburbs (i.e. we were originally thinking of living in the suburbs close to DC or even DC itself), but what made us change our mind was we wanted more house than we could afford in DC. We want a nice home in a nice neighborhood... doesn't have to be huge, just comfortable and in a good location. We're looking to spend between 300-400k on our first house. I like big cities but I also like malls, nice suburban grocery stores, and greenery too. I like neighborhoods where each house feels different and has it's own character. I'd want to live close enough to the city to feel like I could do city stuff without spending half my day in commute.

Actually I like FL because I love to go to the pool and take walks on the beach. But my husband doesn't like the intense FL heat and no change of seasons. Also, I think it might be good to see and do new things, that's why we're open to this move. The only family we have in FL is my mom and brother (who is away at school) and my mom would be open to a condo in whatever city we move to. Basically we have nothing holding us down to one place or another, and are trying to find a good place to call 'home'.

FL is not totally out of the picture yet, but I feel NC might be a better option taking both our feelings into consideration.

For those of you living in Charlotte area, what are some things you all do for fun? Does anyone ever have a pool in Charlotte or is that kind of a rarity?

Thanks for your help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte