U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
 
1,644 posts, read 4,097,003 times
Reputation: 443

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Susan, just b/c your opinion on the subject is different than some of ours, seems to me you are being very judgmental and making a lot of assumptions.

I gave you some links . . . and you can google for other answers, but there is no reason to be assaultive with your statements and insinuate that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and that you are on some higher moral plain than the rest of us.
Has nothing to do with moral plains at all.

And as for bring assaultive and making judgements, it was actually the other poster who replied directly to my post in a rude manner.
Would love to know what assumptions I'm making.

You are being assaultive now because I am in the minority and have a different opinion.

It's the only time you use my name and directly repsond to any posts I make.
But then we've been through all of this before.

I really expected some of the responsible gun owners here would be able to answer some of the questions.

I don't really need to know the answers, but if I ever considered owning a gun , then I sure would find out first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 AM
 
314 posts, read 422,232 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
So you can't answer any of the questions?
Are you a gun owner?
If you are , and you're responsible, then you should be able to answer some of them at least.
Even if you're not,as you're so adamant that people should be able to carry guns, then I would have thought you should still be able to answer some.

Do you ever wonder about the answers to the questions.
Come to that , does anyone here?
People are giving you answers to your questions sometimes with links ( i.e. Ani, Go Panthers, Barking Owl, Chrome Kitty ) , but your opinion is getting in the way to listening to those answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,993,147 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Has nothing to do with moral plains at all.

And as for bring assaultive and making judgements, it was actually the other poster who replied directly to my post in a rude manner.
Would love to know what assumptions I'm making.

You are being assaultive now because I am in the minority and have a different opinion.

It's the only time you use my name and directly repsond to any posts I make.
But then we've been through all of this before.

I really expected some of the responsible gun owners here would be able to answer some of the questions.

I don't really need to know the answers, but if I ever considered owning a gun , then I sure would find out first.
I gave you links to find out the answers, since the answers we gave you do not seem to answer your questions.

I fail to see how my trying to answer your questions means I am assaulting you. ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,577,432 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
And that's adequate IYO?

Yes it is Susan. As I have said multiple times here, those who do things the correct and legal way aren't the ones to worry about. It is those who don't go to the gun shops to purchase, purchase permits, train with their firearm etc...that you must worry about. You don't hear of those who take the right path going out murdering, raping etc.....it is the thug and criminals.

Wasting all this time and effort on the good citizens is just that... a waste. It is far better time spent to think about those and learn about those who do not.

I reccomend an author to you. Masaad Ayoob. Pick up his books and read them. They are wonderful !! Then come and talk to me about the good law abiding citizen and firearm ownership.

And let us not forget that we have the right to keep and bear arms. And when that was placed into the Constitution there was nothing there that said a database had to be kept. You see it is not the firearms that are corrupt but those who seek to create terror and inflict harm that have placed the cause for rules on firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,428,558 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I really expected some of the responsible gun owners here would be able to answer some of the questions.
I guess I gave you too much information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,577,432 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
So you can't answer any of the questions?
Are you a gun owner?
If you are , and you're responsible, then you should be able to answer some of them at least.
Even if you're not,as you're so adamant that people should be able to carry guns, then I would have thought you should still be able to answer some.

Do you ever wonder about the answers to the questions.
Come to that , does anyone here?

The Constitution of this Country gives the Citizens the right to keep and bear arms.

Yes I am a gun owner, and yes I am a very responsible one at that.

I don't owe you the answers it is YOUR responsibility to seek them out. I have however given you some great avenues to great resources should you so choose.

I don't wonder about the said answers because I read and research and have very knowledgeable people in my corner as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Charlotte Area
530 posts, read 1,025,344 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Thanks!
Would seem like it could be a very time consuming process trying to trace a gun to an owner.
I just called my preferred gun dealer

As it turns out, there is no database. The police call the manufacturer, the manufacturer puts then in touch with the dealer that received the firearm from them, then the dealer tells the police who has it. The police then contact the registered owner and if that person can't provide legal documentation of transfer of the firearm then they are investigated for the crime as they are still the owner, and/or charged with transferring the weapon illegally. It's the owners responsibility to keep track of any firearm they own or have owned, and if he/she doesn't follow the rules/law then they are subject to the penalties.

The guy who sold the pistol to the girl that shot and killed Steve McNair is in jail right now for not obtaining the proper documents (pistol permit and bill of sale) from the girl when he sold her the gun. So not only is she in jail for killing McNair, but the guy who sold it to her without following procedure is also in jail.

So, there is a procedure for tracking down a firearm owner. It only doesn't work if the last documented owner transfers it illegally to another owner. And in that case, the "database" if there was one, wouldn't have done any good anyways. So the current system works just as well as a data base would. A legal owner of a firearm would understand this. It's the illegal owners that you'd expect would sell a firearm without following the rules. In either case, with or without a copy of the permit and bill of sale, you'd expect someone to remember who they sold the firearm to.

Last edited by GO PANTHERS!!; 03-17-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,993,147 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yes it is Susan. As I have said multiple times here, those who do things the correct and legal way aren't the ones to worry about. It is those who don't go to the gun shops to purchase, purchase permits, train with their firearm etc...that you must worry about. You don't hear of those who take the right path going out murdering, raping etc.....it is the thug and criminals.

Wasting all this time and effort on the good citizens is just that... a waste. It is far better time spent to think about those and learn about those who do not.

I reccomend an author to you. Masaad Ayoob. Pick up his books and read them. They are wonderful !! Then come and talk to me about the good law abiding citizen and firearm ownership.

And let us not forget that we have the right to keep and bear arms. And when that was placed into the Constitution there was nothing there that said a database had to be kept. You see it is not the firearms that are corrupt but those who seek to create terror and inflict harm that have placed the cause for rules on firearms.
I have not read that book, but intend to now that you have mentioned it, Kitty.

Yes, the Constitution does guarantee the right to bear arms, but it doesn't REQUIRE that one bear arms.

As I stated earlier, anyone who is not comfortable with gun ownership has the right not to own guns or have them in their possession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,577,432 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have not read that book, but intend to now that you have mentioned it, Kitty.

Yes, this is a Constitution does guarantee the right to bear arms, but it doesn't REQUIRE that one bear arms.

As I stated earlier, anyone who is not comfortable with gun ownership has the right not to own guns or have them in their possession.

Ani, we have several books of his. I would happy to lend them to you if interested. Just let me know.....They are very good books, Masaad Ayoob is just simply awesome and SO, SO knowledgeable.

Another website that I have learned great information for females is :
Cornered Cat - Table of Contents (http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx - broken link)


And yes while it is not a requirement it is our right. One that I will not argue with someone over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,428,558 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Another website that I have learned great information for females is :
Cornered Cat - Table of Contents (http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx - broken link)
That's an excellent site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top