U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,105,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Susan - You moved to the wrong area to preach gun control.

This story is fascinating and I'm hoping we'll get updates as it continues to unfold. If the kids didn't break a law by having the gun in the car, they only pulled it for fear of their own safety when the guy approached the car, and the only reason it discharged was because the guy GRABBED it; I can almost see how the cops justify no immediate arrests.

But, honestly when all is said and done - a gun was discharged in public at a flippin' intersection I could have been waiting at with my kids in the car. There has to be consequences.
Can I ask you what the gun ownership laws are in New York? Or maybe I could just google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:17 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,433,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Can I ask you what the gun ownership laws are in New York? Or maybe I could just google it.
You'd have to google it because I've never owned one or looked into it... It's without question more strict then NC - I'd bet you on that.

That said, I firmly support people's rights to own them even though I don't want one. Because in the end, I agree that keeping them out of the hands of responsible / law abiding citizen's only means that they'll be exclusively in the hands of the bad guys.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Ani, we have several books of his. I would happy to lend them to you if interested. Just let me know.....They are very good books, Masaad Ayoob is just simply awesome and SO, SO knowledgeable.

Another website that I have learned great information for females is :
Cornered Cat - Table of Contents (http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx - broken link)

And yes while it is not a requirement it is our right. One that I will not argue with someone over.
Terrific site, Kitty.

I am just not into victimology. For me, that means having several means of protecting myself, from self defense classes to knowing how to use weapons effectively (and legally). This is especially important for women as we can't count on someone else being around should we be attacked, as attackers choose those moments when we are isolated to prey on women.

I made sure my son had self defense training at a very young age (in elementary school) as I know there are bullies out there.

This whole situation with gun-toting young people really worries me, as the first line of defense should be . . . GET OUT OF THE SITUATION, and the second should be de-escalation, not pulling a weapon.

But my biggest concern continues to be . . . why did the shooter even have a gun in his vehicle? When I load up my car to run errands, I am not thinking about packing a firearm unless I am going out at night and into a crime-ridden area (wh/ I never do, lol!!!) So what about this guy's life has led him to believe that when he is riding around w/ four other kids in his car, he needs to carry a weapon?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 PM

530 posts, read 1,028,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Terrific site, Kitty.

I am just not into victimology. For me, that means having several means of protecting myself, from self defense classes to knowing how to use weapons effectively (and legally). This is especially important for women as we can't count on someone else being around should we be attacked, as attackers choose those moments when we are isolated to prey on women.

I made sure my son had self defense training at a very young age (in elementary school) as I know there are bullies out there.

This whole situation with gun-toting young people really worries me, as the first line of defense should be . . . GET OUT OF THE SITUATION, and the second should be de-escalation, not pulling a weapon.

But my biggest concern continues to be . . . why did the shooter even have a gun in his vehicle? When I load up my car to run errands, I am not thinking about packing a firearm unless I am going out at night and into a crime-ridden area (wh/ I never do, lol!!!) So what about this guy's life has led him to believe that when he is riding around w/ four other kids in his car, he needs to carry a weapon?
Mis-guided youth... It's breaking the rules, it's empowering, it's a fantastic gadget... And for some of them it's a tool to get a job done that usually includes breaking the law, like drug sales, collecting money, larceny, breaking and entering.. and many other misdemeanor-ing and felonious acts.

They haven't been properly raised/trained/taught to do better and avoid such problems. Sad thing is that even after incidents such as these, some of them still don't get it...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Mis-guided youth... It's breaking the rules, it's empowering, it's a fantastic gadget... And for some of them it's a tool to get a job done that usually includes breaking the law, like drug sales, collecting money, larceny, breaking and entering.. and many other misdemeanor-ing and felonious acts.

They haven't been properly raised/trained/taught to do better and avoid such problems. Sad thing is that even after incidents such as these, some of them still don't get it...
I think you are right, Panthers. Many reasons . . .

Guidance has to begin at home and I wonder if parents dig enough to find out what is really going on with their kids. It is a hard job, raising kids!

It does appear that even with the media coverage on these types of incidents (young people and confrontations involving firearms) it continues. I worry that having a firearm in a car is becoming some sort of "status symbol" to some young people.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I think you are right, Panthers. Many reasons . . .

Guidance has to begin at home and I wonder if parents dig enough to find out what is really going on with their kids. It is a hard job, raising kids!

It does appear that even with the media coverage on these types of incidents (young people and confrontations involving firearms) it continues. I worry that having a firearm in a car is becoming some sort of "status symbol" to some young people.
Doesn't have to be in the car. But just owning a firearm... Yea, I'd say it's a status symbol for some kids, who are trying to impress the wrong people.

I've seen it myself... Kids that come from less than financially fortunate families, who's parents don't spend a lot of time with them. And they may enforce rules, but they don't do things with their kids, and don't know what their kids do while they are away. Maybe these parents have substance abuse problems... I've even seen situations where the parents were overly strict and still had a poor outcome. To me, after raising children myself, I feel having a good & loving relationship with your child, showing them respect and expecting it in return, talking to them on a regular basis about things they are interested in, helping them to understand how their decisions effect their future... encouraging them to do great things and to be proud of themselves... That's how children should be raised.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Doesn't have to be in the car. But just owning a firearm... Yea, I'd say it's a status symbol for some kids, who are trying to impress the wrong people.

I've seen it myself... Kids that come from less than financially fortunate families, who's parents don't spend a lot of time with them. And they may enforce rules, but they don't do things with their kids, and don't know what their kids do while they are away. Maybe these parents have substance abuse problems... I've even seen situations where the parents were overly strict and still had a poor outcome. To me, after raising children myself, I feel having a good & loving relationship with your child, showing them respect and expecting it in return, talking to them on a regular basis about things they are interested in, helping them to understand how their decisions effect their future... encouraging them to do great things and to be proud of themselves... That's how children should be raised.
You should teach parenting classes, Panthers.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,052,969 times
"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Period.

Besides, guns don't kill people.
People with mustaches kill people.

[just a little humor there folks, saw that on a bumper sticker]

Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
You should teach parenting classes, Panthers.
LOL, very nice of you to say.. If only it were as easy as I've made it sound..

Old 03-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Period.

One of our rights that is constantly under attack..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or