U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM

530 posts, read 1,025,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
In the State of NC no matter how you acquire the firearm you are required by law to apply/purchase a permit to possess it.
That doesn't include hunting rifles and shotguns does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,097,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu-dog View Post
any gun manufactured after a certain date is registered to someone.. when guns are originally sold, the registration takes place..

they keep track of who guns are sold to.
So who are "they" ?
Where are guns registered? I thought it was merely that the store where a gun was purchased it had to keep a record. Do they send the information on somewhere?

Last edited by susan42; 03-17-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
I can't even understand what this discussion is about.

I'd say, The kids involved in this crime were not the kind of kids with strong bonds to their parents or with good moral up bringing. Also, I'd bet the parents knew nothing about the children playing with guns.

This has nothing to do with color of skin, or with financial status. Children that are not raised correctly will have problems.

Also, the police department is not going to favor 1 minor over the next based on skin color, or financial status. Especially when it comes to gun play. When I first moved to Charlotte, I worked with a guy who comes from a middle class family who got involved with the wrong crowd as a child.. He is white.. He and his tough guy friends ran into another group of tough guys, and there was a fight over a girl. The other group shot at them, damaging this guys car while they were in it. Someone in the car had a gun and this guy chased down and shot the original shooter. After the other guy had stopped shooting and started to run, that should have been the end of it. But since his life was no longer in danger and he shot the kid anyways, he went to prison for man slaughter. I don't know how long. But his skin color and the fact he came from a family with money who lived in south Charlotte, didn't get him out of it.

Children or parents of children who poses unregistered guns don't specifically come from out of state.. lol Guns are registered all over the united states. Owners of unregistered guns, own a gun that was originally sold before the gun registration laws and has never been registered since. Has absolutely nothing to do with where they are from.

People that own guns that are registered, but not registered specifically to them, either bought it from an irresponsible gun owner, inherited it, stole it, found it, borrowed it... etc.. Or maybe it is an old gun, therefore has never been register as it predates gun registration laws.

99% of guns used in crimes can be traced back to someone, and many times these someones no longer own the gun. Annnnd sometimes they do.

I think I've addressed everything here.. lol.. Wow, pretty crazy thread.. Guess I'm not surprised
It is a crazy thread, lol. And you did address everything - very well. Did better than I tried to do . . .

I guess my point about the guns is that criminals don't use guns that can be traced back to them. The law is punitive b/c in that sense, the "bad guys" always have "one up" on the rest of us who follow the rules.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
So who are "they" ?
Where are guns registered? I thought it was merely that the store where a gun was purchased it had to keep a record. Do they send the information on somewhere?
Maybe this info will answer all your questions:

Gun Ownership FAQ

NC Firearms Law

Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
what you say makes no sense whatsoever.....
If you aren't registering the serial number on the firearm, then what are you registering?

The one point that people must remember is that those who do purchase permits, train and do things the proper way etc......are NOT the ones who are out there committing these crimes. Those committing the crimes don't purchase the permits and do things above board so that they can not be traced down. You are trying to compare apples and oranges here.
I meant they don't always need the serial number to trace the owner,not that the serial number isn't needed for registration. Sometimes the age,make and model can help, plus even if the serial umber has been changed they can tell.

I'm not comparing anything actually. Expressing myopinion about gun ownership per se, and trying to find out who "they" are that hold the register that says who owns which gun.

Last edited by susan42; 03-17-2010 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,580,563 times
Quote:
I meant they don't always need the serial number to trace the owner,not that the serial number isn't needed for registration. Sometimes the age,make and model can help, plus even if the serial umber has been changed they can tell.

I'm not comparing anything actually. Expressing myopinion about gun ownership per se, and trying to find out who "they" are that hold the register that says who owns which gun.

Of course they need the serial number.
Do you not understand how many Ruger P95's, Springfield XD Subcompact 40's,etc.. are made?? Many, many...there isn't one or two of each model firearm.

If you do your research you will find that while someone may attempt to change a serial number that can be established as well.

THEY can not hold registration to a firearm....ONE person can.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
So who are "they" ?

THEY could be the place of purchase, IE: gun shop, pawn shop or even
an individual sale.

That is who keeps the records of sale and can be audited at any time
by the ATF.

There is not a *database* of registered guns.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
That doesn't include hunting rifles and shotguns does it?

If you search out the laws at the NCDOJ or Grass Roots NC, you will find all
of the laws.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Maybe this info will answer all your questions:

Gun Ownership FAQ

NC Firearms Law
Yes , I read all this and it just makes me more adamant that gun ownership is a bad idea. The fewer guns there are out in the public domain the better.

Can I ask what people do with their gun that sits in open view in their car when they get out that car to go into a store or physicians office if they don't have a permit to carry concealed?
You would have to carry it with you in open view, correct?

About what percentage of gun owners have concealed weapon permits?

About what perecentage of gun owners never take their gun out of the house?

Do they keep that gun in a safe place eg locked in a safe, in a drawer out of view of children/visitors/tradespeople

How many gun owners are actually competent at using the gun they own and attend regular classes eg once a year?

If you look at armed residential break ins in NC, how many victims that owned a gun end up dead, compared to those that didn't own a gun?

And what percentage of those that owned a gun actually managed to get to their gun before they were either killed or the perpitrators got away?

How many guns are stolen every year?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yes , I read all this and it just makes me more adamant that gun ownership is a bad idea. The fewer guns there are out in the public domain the better.

Can I ask what people do with their gun that sits in open view in their car when they get out that car to go into a store or physicians office if they don't have a permit to carry concealed?
You would have to carry it with you in open view, correct?

About what percentage of gun owners have concealed weapon permits?

About what perecentage of gun owners never take their gun out of the house?

Do they keep that gun in a safe place eg locked in a safe, in a drawer out of view of children/visitors/tradespeople

How many gun owners are actually competent at using the gun they own and attend regular classes eg once a year?

If you look at armed residential break ins in NC, how many victims that owned a gun end up dead, compared to those that didn't own a gun?

And what percentage of those that owned a gun actually managed to get to their gun before they were either killed or the perpitrators got away?

How many guns are stolen every year?

These questions go to show that one must research and learn about responsible gun ownership and those that do things the correct way.

Being a responsible gun owner/carrier is a way of life and a lifestyle change. And they do NOT take it lightly.

No gun ownership but those who are law abiding? Yeah ok, so the only ones who are armed are those who are the criminals and thugs, that makes a lot of sense........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or