U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
THEY could be the place of purchase, IE: gun shop, pawn shop or even
an individual sale.

That is who keeps the records of sale and can be audited at any time
by the ATF.

There is not a *database* of registered guns.
And that's adequate IYO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM

530 posts, read 1,025,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Yes , I read all this and it just makes me more adamant that gun ownership is a bad idea. The fewer guns there are out in the public domain the better.

Can I ask what people do with their gun that sits in open view in their car when they get out that car to go into a store or physicians office if they don't have a permit to carry concealed?
You would have to carry it with you in open view, correct?

About what percentage of gun owners have concealed weapon permits?

About what perecentage of gun owners never take their gun out of the house?

Do they keep that gun in a safe place eg locked in a safe, in a drawer out of view of children/visitors/tradespeople

How many gun owners are actually competent at using the gun they own and attend regular classes eg once a year?

If you look at armed residential break ins in NC, how many victims that owned a gun end up dead, compared to those that didn't own a gun?

And what percentage of those that owned a gun actually managed to get to their gun before they were either killed or the perpitrators got away?

How many guns are stolen every year?
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Stricter gun laws only affect the honest citizen. Because even in countries where firearms are banned all together, criminals still carry guns. And even in countries where guns are banned, people are still killed in violent crimes. If someone is out to do harm, even if they don't have a gun, they are going to do harm.

Should we ban anything and everything that can be used as a weapon?

Honest citizens who openly own and carry guns are less apt to be targeted by criminals.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Yes , I read all this and it just makes me more adamant that gun ownership is a bad idea. The fewer guns there are out in the public domain the better.

Can I ask what people do with their gun that sits in open view in their car when they get out that car to go into a store or physicians office if they don't have a permit to carry concealed?

About what percentage of gun owners have concealed weapon permits?

About what perecentage of gun owners never take their gun out of the house?

Do they keep that gun in a safe place eg locked in a safe, in a drawer out of view of children/visitors/tradespeople

How many gun owners are actually competent at using the gun they own and attend regular classes eg once a year?

If you look at armed residential break ins in NC, how many victims that owned a gun end up dead, compared to those that didn't own a gun?

And what percentage of those that owned a gun actually managed to get to their gun before they were either killed or the perpitrators got away?

Susan, obviously you are asking rhetorical questions based on your already established opinion that gun ownership is bad.

It's just like many other issues in this country . . . you are free to choose not to own a gun if you are against gun ownership.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times
Quote:
Criminals love that point of view. There's nothing wrong with gun ownership as long as the owners are responsible people.

Quote:
Put it in the trunk or under a cargo shade.

Quote:
Do they keep that gun in a safe place eg locked in a safe, in a drawer out of view of children/visitors/tradespeople?
It really depends on the owner. Every time a gun is purchased the new owner is given a list of rules regarding having guns around children & what will happen to them if the child finds a gun & kills him/herself or another person. Some people keep guns in drawers, under seat cushions, in their mattresses. Others keep them in safes. If you're buying a gun for home defense you have to decide where to keep it to have it readily accessible and to keep it out of the reach of a child if you have one.

Quote:
I'm competent. I shoot at my range weekly.

Quote:
It would depend on whether the homeowner bought the gun thinking that its mere presence would protect them or if the homeowner regularly practiced at a range.

Quote:
And what percentage of those that owned a gun actually managed to get to their gun before they were either killed or the perpetrators got away?
What makes you think that the homeowner has to be killed. A fair number of thugs are killed while committing crimes. I have no remorse for a thug that is killed in the commission of a crime.

Quote:
Google is your friend...

Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 AM

530 posts, read 1,025,777 times
Quote:
And that's adequate IYO?
Doesn't seem like anyone knows for sure where these records are kept.

But it's irrelevant. Because if you want to track down the registered owner of a gun, it can be done. Because the manufacturer keeps record of which guns go to which distributors, and the distributors keep track of which guns are sold to who.

I would be very surprised though, if there isn't a data base somewhere that police can access to punch in make/model/serial# and track down a firearms registered owner. I'll ask down at the firing range next time I go.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
These questions go to show that one must research and learn about responsible gun ownership and those that do things the correct way.

Being a responsible gun owner/carrier is a way of life and a lifestyle change. And they do NOT take it lightly.

No gun ownership but those who are law abiding? Yeah ok, so the only ones who are armed are those who are the criminals and thugs, that makes a lot of sense........
So you can't answer any of the questions?
Are you a gun owner?
If you are , and you're responsible, then you should be able to answer some of them at least.
Even if you're not,as you're so adamant that people should be able to carry guns, then I would have thought you should still be able to answer some.

Do you ever wonder about the answers to the questions.
Come to that , does anyone here?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Doesn't seem like anyone knows for sure.

But it's irrelevant. Because if you want to track down the owner of a gun, it can be done. Because the manufacturer keeps record of which guns go to which distributors, and the distributors keep track of which guns are sold to who.

I would be very surprised though, if there isn't a data base somewhere that police can access to punch in make/model/serial# and track down a firearms registered owner. I'll ask down at the firing range next time I go.
Thanks!
Would seem like it could be a very time consuming process trying to trace a gun to an owner.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
So you can't answer any of the questions?
Are you a gun owner?
If you are , and you're responsible, then you should be able to answer some of them at least.
Even if you're not,as you're so adamant that people should be able to carry guns, then I would have thought you should still be able to answer some.

Do you ever wonder about the answers to the questions.
Come to that , does anyone here?
Susan, just b/c your opinion on the subject is different than some of ours, seems to me you are being very judgmental and making a lot of assumptions.

I gave you some links . . . and you can google for other answers, but there is no reason to be assaultive with your statements and insinuate that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and that you are on some higher moral plain than the rest of us.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Susan - You moved to the wrong area to preach gun control.

This story is fascinating and I'm hoping we'll get updates as it continues to unfold. If the kids didn't break a law by having the gun in the car, they only pulled it for fear of their own safety when the guy approached the car, and the only reason it discharged was because the guy GRABBED it; I can almost see how the cops justify no immediate arrests.

But, honestly when all is said and done - a gun was discharged in public at a flippin' intersection I could have been waiting at with my kids in the car. There has to be consequences.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM

314 posts, read 422,351 times
Quote:
THEY could be the place of purchase, IE: gun shop, pawn shop or even
an individual sale.

That is who keeps the records of sale and can be audited at any time
by the ATF.

There is not a *database* of registered guns.
Your smarter than that. If you don't think Big Brother has a database of who purchased a gun in a gun store then you also don't think Big Brother wire tapped phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or