Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Here's the link that I was reading.
South Charlotte Road Rage Turns Violent | FOX Charlotte | NC News (http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/nc-news/87742732.html - broken link)

It all sounds very fishy to me no matter what the ages.
I am so glad you provided that link! Thank you! This story just gets weirder and weirder!

I agree - something very very fishy about the whole thing . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 PM

124 posts, read 212,551 times
http://www.grnc.org/firearms.htm
D. Transporting Weapons
Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant
to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about
them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-ofstate
concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the weapon is of prime
importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care
must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed, and within the ready access to an
occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon
in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and
readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and
readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas
of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner
is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation
that firearms should not be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment
is locked or not.
While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other
problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the
event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know
that individual's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an
individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the
officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon
may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons
applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but
also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup
trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.
As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area (i.e., vans, etc.), the question arises
on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the
vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and
access of an occupant, which would allow him/her to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability
exists that the occupant is in violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant
of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in
relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these
prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as drivers of any vehicle.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:22 PM

^ for the purpose of educating folks.

FYI, I also grew up in the south Charlotte area, and I am white. I knew many white kids even back then that owned guns, carried guns, and concealed them in their cars. It has nothing to do with color and it has nothing to do with being new to the state. These crimes are committed by children raised in less then desirable situations.

I also knew the son of a police chief (and I won't mention names or districts) who was often involved in gun play. I never saw him shoot anyone but he carried a gun in his car and played with it often. (White Kid)

Of course I knew Black kids that played with guns as well. I also had seen on many occasions what would happen when a police officer would catch a minor with a gun, regardless of color, it was handled the same.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, you and Loves are both correct as to my post - I was confused about Susan's point, as we do have to register ourselves as gun owners and as Loves said - have a background check. As far as registering individual guns, I was wondering what Susan's point was. What does it matter what individual guns a person has?

Folks who shouldn't have a gun are the point . . . and underage kids shouldn't have a gun in their possession. Period.
Now you folks have really confused me.
What I meant was that their isn't an agency with whom an individual has to register individual gns that they own.
I think it does matter, becasue if a crime is committed then it should be possible for the weapon to be traced to an individual that owns it.
In this instance, back to an adult? a parent?
We have to have correct paperwork and registration for vehicles, why not for guns?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
What I meant was that their isn't an agency with whom an individual has to register individual gns that they own.
I think it does matter, becasue if a crime is committed then it should be possible for the weapon to be traced to an individual that owns it.
We have to have correct paperwork and registration for vehicles, why not for guns?
I believe you're wrong about that.

The only guns that aren't registered with someone specifically are the old ones that were purchased before they started registering, or that are stolen and not found.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu-dog View Post
^ for the purpose of educating folks.

FYI, I also grew up in the south Charlotte area, and I am white. I knew many white kids even back then that owned guns, carried guns, and concealed them in their cars. It has nothing to do with color and it has nothing to do with being new to the state. These crimes are committed by children raised in less then desirable situations.

I also knew the son of a police chief (and I won't mention names or districts) who was often involved in gun play. I never saw him shoot anyone but he carried a gun in his car and played with it often. (White Kid)

Of course I knew Black kids that played with guns as well. I also had seen on many occasions what would happen when a police officer would catch a minor with a gun, regardless of color, it was handled the same.
Lu, maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone was even thinking about the race of these kids. It looked from the photos (limited as they were) that the kids were all white, but I don't think that makes any difference as far as their carrying guns or whether white kids carry guns more often than other races.

Guess I kind of missed your point or am confused (so forgive me if I am just not connecting).

I think the outrage has been simply that kids are driving around w/ guns. I just cannot get my mind around that. I don't care what your race is - why the heck would parents allow teens to have guns?

If my son said - Mom, gotta have a firearm in the car - I would go ballistic, b/c my feeling is - if my son is hanging out in places where firearms are standard, then something is very very wrong . . .

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post

NO, there is no agency that we gun owners have to register our guns with in NC. You must pass a criminal background check to get a PERMIT to BUY one, but if you own one and move here with it there is no one to "register" it with.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NO, there is no agency that we gun owners have to register our guns with in NC. You must pass a criminal background check to get a PERMIT to BUY one, but if you own one and move here with it there is no one to "register" it with.
Even if all guns WERE registered (at some point) criminals deface the ID #s (whatever you call them) on the guns, steal guns that are registered to other folks, etc.

Police recover guns used in commitment of crime all the time and they sure as heck don't "lead back" to the criminals, lol.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's what I said in the first place!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Even if all guns WERE registered (at some point) criminals deface the ID #s (whatever you call them) on the guns, steal guns that are registered to other folks, etc.

Police recover guns used in commitment of crime all the time and they sure as heck don't "lead back" to the criminals, lol.
But if they were registered, there would be some chance that they may lead back to the owner. They don't always need the ID number of the weapon. Without any registration of the weapons then there is no chance at all.
I cannot comprehend that people don't see it as something important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte