U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,100,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Northlake Mall isnt in Huntersville
Apologies. J25 to J18 is kinda all the same to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM

108 posts, read 84,838 times
Susan42
Huntersville has excellent shopping, parks, descent schools, affordable housing, great accessability to Charlotte, low crime rate, transportation, Birkdale Village and the list goes on. To put it simply, prices are pretty reasonable for what is offered in Huntersville. I certainly can't name many other towns that are as affordable and 'nice' as Huntersville. Can you?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:55 AM

62 posts, read 191,180 times
We're empty nester who have lived in Huntersville for 10 years. We moved from CT and chose Huntersville for it's proximity to the Lake as well as getting to the airport. Traffic is not as big a deal as people make it out to be. It comes with living near a larger city. The lake is great as is Birkdale Village. The only reason we go to Charlotte is entertainment (Blumenthal, Ovens, etc.) or sporting events. Everyting else can be found nearby. We love Huntersville.

PS: We live in Birkdale (Golf course) and love it there too.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:00 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
I always love seeing all the moaning and groaning, which pretty much is more like whining, about Charlotte traffic. I mean, really. Have you guys been anywhere else?

Try Southern California. That is something to whine about. Or perhaps the District of Columbia.

Seriously, I think people in Charlotte whine about the traffic just to have something to whine about.

Not true at all.

We COMPLAIN about traffic (not whine) precisely because we DON'T want to become like southern California.

And just because we aren't "that bad" doesn't mean it's not bad here The truth is, it's bad enough.

But if you work in uptown, Huntersville is one good option compared to going from uptown to other areas of the county when you want to live a more suburban lifesyle.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,100,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMcAlister View Post
Susan42
Huntersville has excellent shopping, parks, descent schools, affordable housing, great accessability to Charlotte, low crime rate, transportation, Birkdale Village and the list goes on. To put it simply, prices are pretty reasonable for what is offered in Huntersville. I certainly can't name many other towns that are as affordable and 'nice' as Huntersville. Can you?
Wouldn't be able to name them, no.
I was just wondering which other suburbs they looked at and what criteria they used

How would places like Pineville/Mathews/Davidson/Cornelius compare?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM

108 posts, read 84,838 times
They generally consider education of residents, medical facilities, shopping facilities, crime, income, unemployment, transportation, and schools. I believe that the cities that you mentioned are nice but are not big enought to have the criteria to qualify. They are all towns, whereas Huntersville is a city.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,035,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
It was the only NC one chosen and I wonder if they did compare i to others?
According to their methodology, no other cities in NC were compared because they only looked at suburbs in the state's largest city. Weird methodology, but oh well...

Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,522,389 times
Default Huntersville

Huntersville history
Quote:
Huntersville, the first Lake Norman town north of Charlotte, was renamed from Craighead to Huntersville in honor of landowner and cotton farmer Robert Boston Hunter. The town incorporated in 1873, and fertile land and a rail line promoted quick growth. Cotton mill Virgin Manufacturing Company and a brickyard that supplied bricks for many homes in older sections of town were thriving businesses.
Town of Huntersville, North Carolina (http://www.huntersville.org/history_0.asp - broken link)

A Growing Town
Quote:
In 1990, 3,014 people called Huntersville home. Proximity between the Queen City and the lake, lower home prices, less traffic and quiet communities catapulted Huntersville's population in 2000 to 24,960, an amazing 728 percent. Today, approximately 40,000 people call Huntersville home.
Town of Huntersville, North Carolina (http://www.huntersville.org/history_1.asp - broken link)

Things to do in Huntersville

Coming Soon... Discovery Place KIDS (www.discoveryplacekids.org)
Launching a New Adventure in Play in Huntersville
Discovery Place KIDS is an innovative model in children’s museums developed by Discovery Place, Inc. Exploring the theme of I CAN, Discovery Place KIDS offers unique opportunities for interactive learning-throughplay for children birth through second grade.
Travel to Great Learning Destinations
By participating in rich play experiences that value imagination, fun and learning, kids explore their world, discover how to get along with others, test their skills and muscles, try out new ideas and develop confidence. Exhibit areas build on the theme of I CAN . . . Create, Work, Be Healthy, Move, Explore, Build and Grow. Kids and their caregiver are provided with opportunities to create a masterpiece, imagine they are a community helper, experiment with movement, construct a building and much more.
Fuel To Learn
Visit discoveryplacekids.org to take a virtual tour. Discovery Place KIDS is planned to open in Huntersville, 2010.

Rural Hill (www.ruralhill.net)

Rural Hill is the historic homestead of Major John and Violet Davidson. For more than 230 years, six generations of the Davidson family made their home at Rural Hill. Today, Rural Hill is a restoration in progress.
The property is open year round, Monday through Saturday from 10:00AM until 4:00PM for self guided tours of the 265 acre property. Group tours can be arranged with advanced reservations.
Rural Hill is the home to “The Amazing Maize Maze at Rural Hill” – September 11 - November 2, 2008, Thursday through Sunday each week. Other events include: “The Rural Hill Sheep Dog Trials” – November 8 & 9, 2008; “The Loch Norman Highland Games at Rural Hill” – April 17, 18 & 19, 2009 as well as “Revolutionary War Reenactments at Rural Hill” – May 16 & 17, 2009.

Joe Gibbs Racing (www.joegibbsracing.com)

Joe Gibbs Racing is one of the premier organizations in the sport of NASCAR, currently fielding three NASCAR Sprint Cup teams and two NASCAR Nationwide Series teams. JGR’s driver lineup includes Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Joey Logano and Marc Davis. JGR’s headquarters in Huntersville, NC features a fan-friendly lobby filled with display cases featuring race-used memorabilia, trophies and exhibits. The highlight, however, is a large viewing window overlooking the shop floor, allowing race fans of all ages to see the team working on the race cars! While at JGR’s headquarters, make sure to check out JGR’s gift shop, which was voted “best laid out store in all of NASCAR” by the Charlotte Observer. We look forward to seeing you! Lobby hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and the Gift Shop is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

my favorite
Historic Latta Plantation (www.lattaplantation.org)

Historic Latta Plantation is a circa 1800 cotton plantation and living history farm. Visitors can tour the original plantation house, grounds, and outbuildings, see rare breeds of historic livestock, rotating exhibits in the Education Hall, and more! Latta provides educational field trips for over 12,000 students, summer day camps for 400 children, birthday parties, and many special events each year. Our programs focus on life in the North Carolina Backcountry from 1800 to 1865. Historic Latta Plantation is located in 1340 acre Latta Plantation Nature Preserve off Beatties Ford Road. It is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 and on Mondays Memorial Day through Labor Day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Duke Energy’s EnergyExplorium (http://www.duke-energy.com)

Learn about electricity and the environment through hands-on, interactive computer exhibits or walk the mile-long nature trail along Lake Norman – with complimentary backpacks, field guidebooks and binoculars! You can enjoy lunch at our lakeside picnic area. The EnergyExplorium is located off Highway 73 at the McGuire Nuclear Station. Hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends from noon to 5 p.m

Carolina Renaissance Festival (www.RenFestInfo.com)

The Carolina Renaissance Festival is a medieval amusement park, a 10-stage theater, a 22-acre circus, an arts and crafts fair, a jousting tournament and a feast – all rolled into one non-stop, day-long family adventure. The Carolina Renaissance Festival runs from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, from October 4th through November 16th. Its located just north of Charlotte between Concord and Huntersville on Highway 73 at Poplar Tent Road (between I-77 and I-85). Exit 25 on I-77 or exits 52 or 55 on I-85.

Carolina Raptor Center (www.carolinaraptorcenter.org)

The Carolina Raptor Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to environmental education and the conservation of birds of prey through public education, the rehabilitation of injured and orphaned raptors, and research.
It’s located within Latta Plantation’s Nature Preserve. Its open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from Noon to 5 p.m. Live Bird Presentations are made Saturdays 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and Sundays at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. and are free with admission. Weekends at CRC offer special activities. Behind the Scenes Tours are the first weekend of every month at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday and cost $5 (not included with admission). You can “Meet the Keeper” the second weekend of every month at 2 p.m. Trail Trivia Talks are offered the third weekend of every month at 2 p.m. each day and are free with admission. Backyard Tails, the Center’s popular free flight show happens Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend on Saturdays and Noon and 2 p.m.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,669,297 times
HUntersville is probably different than many other burbs for a few reasons, but 1 is the Lake. And traffic, as others have said isn't that bad. If you have to go past Exit 23 on 77, it gets snarled a bit, but even that is nothing. Phoenix, Dallas, LA, Diego, Portland, places I have lived(ish), all had much worse. I can get from Beatties Ford and Sam Furr in 25 minutes during rush hour.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,931,074 times
Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson are nice boutique cities north of Charlotte. They don't have the issues that Charlotte has and they are not nearly as badly planned and/or conservative as places further north. The only downside to them is they are in Mecklenburg county. Every bad aspect of these places is related to that fact. (water system, schools, transit) It's too bad they can't break off and form their own county.

Traffic is not bad at all if you don't work in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte