U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM

452 posts, read 1,216,720 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I moved here from Miami 2 years ago and I must say I am loving it here....I do have one thing that I have to say...

What is up with the parking in Uptown??? I lived in South Beach for 2 years and never saw parking that high...unless there was an event...EpiCenter $15..{20 at night}.....What the heck is that? I parked in some parking lot just this week, read the wrong sign...parked for 3.5 hours to find myself paying $13 bucks at 11am whoa....My cuban blood came out...I was livid....but I had to get out so I payed......Someone explain that to me? Bring me back to earth on this...

I also have to say there have been other things that I have notice are higher then from where I am from, for example WATER....I use to pay $75 every 3 month now my bill is about $65 month...Where are my Charlotte regulars with all the answers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,495,490 times
Travel to some more Metros youll see Charlotte is actually cheap in Comparison
But using Epicenter You should expect to pay more it right in the center of the city
You need to park in one of the outskirt lots on outer part of the city
7th Street Station is Cheap if your working uptown you should ride the
Express bus or light rail.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 PM

452 posts, read 1,216,720 times
The funny thing is your in one corner and its $7 then you go around and the next block you see $15...Ive parked next to discovery and it was $6 or 7 ....But there should be a limit...some of them have flat $15-20 ...its crazy...just say 1500 cars drive in everyday through there and pay $15 bucks, thats $450k a month in parking....geez im in the wrong bizz, anyone know any empty lots for sale in uptown????....

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,865,775 times
The parking is kind of steep. I've eliminated any and all reasons to go downtown due to this. When the rare occasion falls for me to go , I take the train. Even the cabs are more expensive here than in NY. Which really makes little financial sense , given the size differential. Maybe something to do with layout , IDK.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 AM

3,424 posts, read 9,232,052 times
I'm going to join in as well about the parking. I've mentioned the same issues before. I still don't understand why parking is not opened up after 5 PM for free. The city should have some control and authority over this, and they need to do a much better job indicating where public parking areas are. And WTF aren't a lot of the lots even paved?

I went to a show not long ago at The Double Door. I drove around and around and around looking for a parking spot, and there were none to be found. Yet there sits the completely empty CPCC parking garage. There's no on-street parking allowed anywhere in that vicinity. There are a whole bunch of empty lots all around, yet all are chained shut.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,876,205 times
Charlotte uptown has not figured out how to offer the amenities with reasonable parking too. I agree the discrepancy b/w lots is weird and frustrating. I went to Discovery Place in December and parked in the wrong lot. So instead of paying $6 for all day I wound up paying $18.

For some things I'd expect to pay for parking. For everything else, I'll take the train.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,395,220 times
I pay $35 a month to park my car in Uptown. Check preferredparking.com, they have a virtual monopoly on Uptown parking.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,082,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I pay $35 a month to park my car in Uptown. Check preferredparking.com, they have a virtual monopoly on Uptown parking.
I thought I was fortunate to pat $55 a month to park at Gateway Village. Parking is definitely cheaper here than in some metro areas but still seems pricey.

It is really ridiculous how much you have to pay at the EpiCenter. If you park at a mall/shopping center it should not cost that much or at least have validated parking.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,372,279 times
Why isn't it wide open after 5? Well, I have occasion to park in the Center City Green deck which just opened across from the arena.

After a few weeks, I got into the elevator and one wall was covered in urine. Nice and fresh.

A few weeks later, another elevator had the glass kicked out of it.

Security, repairs, and someone who will mop up someone else's p!$$ are all not free.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,271,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I thought I was fortunate to pat $55 a month to park at Gateway Village. Parking is definitely cheaper here than in some metro areas but still seems pricey.

It is really ridiculous how much you have to pay at the EpiCenter. If you park at a mall/shopping center it should not cost that much or at least have validated parking.
EpiCentre does validate. At the movies, they always ask if I need it validated. I never drive there, so I haven't asked at other places, but most of the garages validate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte