Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 AM

29 posts, read 74,382 times

Advertisements

Aloha all!

I am getting married in June and my fiance and I still need to get our bands. I got her engagement ring at Diamond's Direct in SouthPark and loved my first visit there. So, I naturally went back to get the bands because of the great service and experience. This time it was not so great. The salesperson was a little pushier, which I get somewhat since it's a sale. It was our first place and wanted to continue shopping around just to see what else was out there, and this person really wanted us to buy the ring that day and said we only had to put 50% down (I only put 20% for the engagement ring). After coming back 48 hours later to purchase the rings (we never went anywhere else because we really wanted our rings from DD), my fiance's ring went up $200 from just 2 days earlier. The salesperson said the price of gold fluctuates...yadayada. Now I'm a little skeptical so I told her to see what she could do about getting me the original price and have not heard from her since.

Allow me to stop my mini-rant here because that is not why I came on here to post. My question is of a reputable, "non-mall" jewelry store in Charlotte with fair prices. Any ideas would be welcomed and thank you in advance. We are both looking for white gold or the like for me and her ring is a white gold princess cut ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryton11 View Post
(I only put 20% for the engagement ring). After coming back 48 hours later to purchase the rings (we never went anywhere else because we really wanted our rings from DD), my fiance's ring went up $200 from just 2 days earlier. The salesperson said the price of gold fluctuates...yadayada. Now I'm a little skeptical so I told her to see what she could do about getting me the original price and have not heard from her since.
Try BlueNile.com, they might have a band you might like and they are inexpensive.

Was the 20% a deposit or was that financed? If you are financing the engagement ring, you will be really struggling when comes time to pay for the wedding & honeymoon.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Douglas Harris Jewelers in Gastonia, NC ....

Gastonia jewelry by Douglas R. Harris Jewelers, diamonds, diamond jewelry, gold, gemstone, bridal jewelry, anniversary and more - Douglas R. Harris Jewelers

Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 PM

18 posts, read 28,122 times
I like Jared's. Their service is always friendly and professional.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 PM

135 posts, read 439,477 times
You can also try Blessings Jewlery store on 160 in Fort Mill just up from 521. The guy is from NY and his name is Joe and he is very nice and very honest and will not take you for a ride!! My husband and I are both out of work and we went there to hock some jewlery including my wedding rings and he gave us a "loan" on my rings and wouldnt take the rings, he let me keep them. If it wasnt for him, my kids would not have had any Christmas. We have never been in this position before and it was very humbling to have to do that. He just trusted that we would get the money back and so when we got our taxes back we went right over there to pay him back. He is a true Christian man!! Give the store a try!!!

Norrodh

Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,613 times
Designs by Shirlee in Matthews. She has a website, so check for times she's open. She's awesome and very fair! She did my ring and our bands. Also does custom work if you ever need it. Also Alexander Zachary in Mooresville. Ask for Bill, the owner.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM

168 posts, read 505,793 times
I would just request to work with whomever you worked with on your engagement ring again. You said you had a good relationship with that person. I have personally purchased several things from DD and have worked with a few different sales people there and have always felt like i was getting a good deal and always had a pleasant experience. Good Luck and Congrats!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
What happen to the post from the DiamondsDirect guy?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:35 PM

45 posts, read 76,935 times
I hate to say it but you might go back to Diamonds Direct and maybe just ask to speak with a different sales person. I got married last year and the prior year shopped around Charlotte and went into every half price sale and one sales person at another jewelry store said they couldn't compete with Diamond's Direct.(I was pretty shocked when she said that) Needless to say I hate the negotiating part of getting a ring regardless so I just emailed the sales rep at Diamonds Direct with what I was looking for and the price and when he said he had something I went in and bought it.

Maybe your sales guy misquoted the price and had to find a way to backtrack to get to where they were supposed to be. Anyway I bought my wife a necklace in recently and I think there is some big sale coming up in April. Maybe you can get back to where they were originally.

good luck

Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryton11 View Post
... .my fiance's ring went up $200 from just 2 days earlier. The salesperson said the price of gold fluctuates...yadayada.....
The salesman either didn't know what he was talking about or was trying to rip you off. Gold is one of my hobbies. It does not fluctuate nearly that much. In fact it's price has remained between $1100 - $1140 for most of this year. This is for an ounce of pure gold.

Rings are not made from pure gold as the pure stuff is far too soft for something like a wedding ring. Except in the bullion form it is almost always alloyed with another metal to make it harder. My guess is your ring is either 18 karat (75% gold) or 14 karat (59% gold) The end result is that your ring after being alloyed contains around $150 to $400 worth of gold in it. If it is a woman's ring, it will be closer to the $150 end.

As for white gold, this means the alloying element is a white metal. Platinum, palladium and nickel are examples. Yellow gold for rings have copper and/or silver as the alloying element. There are also other combinations of all of these. There is a huge range in values in these extra metals as platinum is worth more than gold while nickel and copper are sold by the ton. When determining the true worth of your ring, you should find out both the percentage of gold used in the ring, and the element(s) that it was alloyed with.

Don't let them hit you up with a lot of charges for the gems. In most cases they are not worth much. if you ever sell some jewellery for the gold in it, the refiners simply throw away the gems in them. For the most part they have no resale value and are worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte