U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Waxhaw, NC
4 posts, read 11,296 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My sister and her husband are seriously considering a move to Charlotte early Summer. Does anyone know if Union or Mecklenburg county will be hiring teachers for the next school year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times
Reputation: 14926
you might want to turn on the news.

A lot of teachers are about to be with out a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM
 
1,382 posts, read 1,947,886 times
Reputation: 1281
On the CMS website there are some teaching jobs advertised, but are only until the end of the year. SunnyKayak is right; I heard on the news that an estimated 800 teachers in CMS will be losing their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 2,057,101 times
Reputation: 443
My question is why do they have so many end of year positions? That many people took off until the end of the year? Is that normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 06:07 PM
 
314 posts, read 423,203 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
you might want to turn on the news.

A lot of teachers are about to be with out a job
I think this was what Sunny was talking about. Not a very good job market right now for teachers in Charlotte. Video included with article.

"CMS Cuts Could Mean Hundrends Of Layoffs"

CMS Cuts Could Mean Hundreds Of Layoffs - Education News Story - WSOC Charlotte (http://www.wsoctv.com/education/22858798/detail.html - broken link)

"Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Peter Gorman said he's moving forward with a plan to lay off 841 employees, including more than 580 teachers."

"CMS projected it could save $30 million with the following pay cuts: 8 percent for employees making between $48,000 and $69,000; 12 percent for employees making between $70,000 and $99,000; and 15 percent for employees making $100,000 or more."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 PM
 
314 posts, read 423,203 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
My question is why do they have so many end of year positions? That many people took off until the end of the year? Is that normal?
Did you see the pay cuts that are being proposed? Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 2,057,101 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoorecharlotte View Post
Did you see the pay cuts that are being proposed? Yikes.
Yeah I saw it. But where did these end of year jobs pop up from. Are people already leaving and why would they in the middle of the school year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Back in the Mitten. Formerly NC
3,819 posts, read 5,208,518 times
Reputation: 5259
I am watching FOX news and they were just doing a story about CMS. They redid their worst case-scenario budget tonight- the worst case scenario is now worse. The budget deficit could be over $80 million. So, more teaching jobs are on the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Back in the Mitten. Formerly NC
3,819 posts, read 5,208,518 times
Reputation: 5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Yeah I saw it. But where did these end of year jobs pop up from. Are people already leaving and why would they in the middle of the school year?
NC has strange retirement policies if you have a certain number of sick days (a teacher at my school retired a few years ago and had enough days to last until February. So, we had a sub until February because we could not post her job until she 'officially' retired). That accounts for some of your jobs. If enrollment went up, that is another possibility (K-3 can have a max of 24 in a room and all districts/schools were sitting as close to 24 as they could). Plus, NC contracts are super easy to get out of. You just quit and nothing happens to you. Ironically, the teacher my school hired in February last year abandoned her students this February- to move in with her boyfriend in another state. I grew up in a union state with tight contracts- breaking them could mean you lose your license. That is not the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 2,057,101 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
NC has strange retirement policies if you have a certain number of sick days (a teacher at my school retired a few years ago and had enough days to last until February. So, we had a sub until February because we could not post her job until she 'officially' retired). That accounts for some of your jobs. If enrollment went up, that is another possibility (K-3 can have a max of 24 in a room and all districts/schools were sitting as close to 24 as they could). Plus, NC contracts are super easy to get out of. You just quit and nothing happens to you. Ironically, the teacher my school hired in February last year abandoned her students this February- to move in with her boyfriend in another state. I grew up in a union state with tight contracts- breaking them could mean you lose your license. That is not the case here.

Gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top