U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,991,511 times

Advertisements

your yard isn't so bad. it could be pulled into shape within 12 months...

If it were me and I wanted to shape it up as soon as possible...

1. Vigorous metal raking on bare spots
2. Core aeration
3. Fertilizer/lime at recommended application rates (assume your soil is slightly acid if you haven't been applying lime)
4. Quality seed/overseeding. Look for something that's real close to 100% pure live seed
5. Straw mulch the bare spots
6. ensure 1/2" inch of watering twice a week for at least 8 weeks, preferably 12 if it doesn't get too hot too fast.
7. Cross fingers for frequent rain throughout summer.
8. Repeat in the fall, perhaps easing back on the lime application.
9. Pull weeds often.

You may want to consider cutting some of those sweetgums. They are native and will outcompete your turf for resources in lean times. They also put all those gumballs down which are a pain in the a**.

You may also want to consider creating generous lanscaped areas around any trees you leave. Trying to grow grass directly to the base of a tree is a costly and time-consuming endeavor that requires *constant* maintenance and upkeep. At a minimum I'd recommend bedding out at least 12' from your trees with a pine straw mulch.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 PM

339 posts, read 624,422 times
According to my TruGreen guy, now is not the time to aerate because you will open up your yard to more crabgrass. If you want to throw down seed you can but you should have done it in mid-Feb. It might die when the heat starts next month. TG guy also told us to use sphagum moss and not top soil and to cover the seed with the moss as well as use it as a bed. This will hide it from the birds. TG guy also said to use pine needles and not hay. He said hay will sprout weeds. So... that is my suggestion all via TruGreen.

I also had a terrible lawn. It was beautiful when we moved in and thought we could keep it up. We religiously aerated, fertilized, etc. Within a year it looked like Hades. Now that we use a service, I cannot tell you the difference it makes. It has been worth every penny. It took about 2 years to get it in shape but their service has made a huge difference in the health and look of our lawn. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 PM

339 posts, read 624,422 times
I hate the sweetgums!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte