Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
you are SO, SO right!
Those who are making these decisions are so out of touch with reality it is
disgusting !! Those types I do not want making decisions for me or my family, they aren't capable.

The only reason those lawmakers know we exist is because we are the ones who pay for their ridiculous bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
One place to start would be abandoning, at least temporarily, anything having to do with light rail and trolley. The Pineville line is fine, but studies and all the other costs are doing no good.

Isn't Ray's Splash Planet city/county? If it is, sell it off.

Golf courses....they are run by a management company but could be sold off, even at a discount, and take care of some of the budget issues.

I disagree with closing libraries. I think it is a horrible idea for many reasons. While cutting salaries sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure I agree with it, even though most of the salaries shouldn't have been allowed to climb to where they are.

Or we could let all the prisoners out of jail since none of them did what they are in there for. It could save money on housing, the legal system, maintenance, and more. There has got to be a few entrepreneurs in jail right now who could help lower the unemployment rate.

All I know is that there are some cuts that need to be made and will be wildly unpopular, but people will just have to get over it. It might even bring about some new levels of personal responsibility. Then again......

I saw on the news last night that this may be a very really option.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Ohh great.

Where's Judge Dredd when you need him?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Ohh great.

Where's Judge Dredd when you need him?

here ya go.........

Budget Cuts Could Create Jail Problems | FOX Charlotte | Top Stories

Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I saw on the news last night that this may be a very really option.
Maybe the powers that be are getting ready to introduce Running Man...

Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 AM

530 posts, read 1,182,300 times
Cancel any and all "glorification of Charlotte" improvements. And stick with a patch and repair mentality until the economy picks up. We can live with what we have right now, no need for prettying anything up. Just maintenance work until we get back on our feet.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
I can't believe the libraries are even in this picture for cutting. 1/2 the libraries?? Really?? That is going to have repercussions in all areas: more kids on the street, more crime....

And I agree with the pps who mentioned breaking up CMS. Why this has not already been done is beyond me. I've had some great experiences so far in my own CMS elementary school. I hope it stays that way.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
Oh and what about the stupid trolley car proposal?

We don't have resources to be wasting on a pointless project like that and in the same breath plan on closing half of the public libraries. What the heck is wrong with the council?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM

34 posts, read 67,784 times
Parks and Recreation budget cuts are always first to go and primarily used as a political tactic against the public. The reason is that people are emotionally attached to the parks and get focused on that instead of where the real budget cuts need to come from. I like many of the previous suggestions and think they could be done.

Look to decrease spending in these areas:
Top official and administrative salaries
New construction projects
Any "new" initiatives
Redundent departments
Anything that is a "study"

The goverment needs to focus on protecting the people from catastrophic issues(police and fire), protecting the land(parks and recreations), educating people, promoting economic growth, and keeping itself small while serving the people.

No matter what gets cut I feel balacing the budget with these tough decisions is the correct thing to do.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,848 times
Look at Matthews today. I know the money is earmarked and they have to use it for the roads but come on. That shows how our priorities are so screwed up. Close schools, layoff teachers & close libraies and then repave a road that was no where near the worst road in Charlotte/Matthews. Then spend more to put curbs in. Take the money and give it to the kids for education. How pavement is more important then our future and our children is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte