U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM
 
108 posts, read 85,044 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
Thanks for all of the info....and thanks to bs13690 for that link....that's exactly what I needed! Okay, so now the fun begins....any idea how to go about trying to change the ordinances??? LOL The line that indicates "the coop must be a minimum of 25 feet from the property line" is somewhat restrictive....
Don't think that you can change them. You have to present your case to the city council for a vote and possible public hearing. It would be nice if we could just go in and change things. I would change the senate and administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
 
Location: NoDa
157 posts, read 735,845 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMcAlister View Post
Don't think that you can change them. You have to present your case to the city council for a vote and possible public hearing. It would be nice if we could just go in and change things. I would change the senate and administration.
Yeah, I am not suggesting that I would send an e-mail to someone, and then POOF, its changed. I understand there is a process that likely takes a lot of time and effort. I just don't know what that process is, and am trying to find that out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Reputation: 39857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
They could always be kept in the house...

ACTUALLY, if you live in an urban setting where neighbors are much closer in proximity than in suburbia, I think you should have to keep them in your house.

How ridiculous is it for anyone to want to keep farm animals in an urban area, especially some as nasty dirty and gross smelling as chickens????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
 
Location: NoDa
157 posts, read 735,845 times
Reputation: 155
WOW Loves! I certainly wouldn't have expected this type of response from you. Pretty strong of you to suggest this is "ridiculous". I remember reading a series of threads about Tiger World, and how people were coming to judgment without having the facts about the place. It seems that your response isn't based on facts at all....I encourage you to do some research before drawing conclusions....your perspective might change.

If anyone else thinks this is a ridiculous idea and wants to bash it, feel free to DM me directly. Otherwise if you have something valuable to add to the thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
ACTUALLY, if you live in an urban setting where neighbors are much closer in proximity than in suburbia, I think you should have to keep them in your house.

How ridiculous is it for anyone to want to keep farm animals in an urban area, especially some as nasty dirty and gross smelling as chickens????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Reputation: 39857
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
WOW Loves! I certainly wouldn't have expected this type of response from you. Pretty strong of you to suggest this is "ridiculous". I remember reading a series of threads about Tiger World, and how people were coming to judgment without having the facts about the place. It seems that your response isn't based on facts at all....I encourage you to do some research before drawing conclusions....your perspective might change.

If anyone else thinks this is a ridiculous idea and wants to bash it, feel free to DM me directly. Otherwise if you have something valuable to add to the thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Okay, I completely apologize for offending you -

But I have experience with chickens and they just gross me out - the idea of having to get a whiff of them on my back patio would make me a cranky neighbor! But I could have phrased it better in my last post. Perhaps you could explain to us what your plans/ideas are for having chickens at your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: NoDa
157 posts, read 735,845 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, I completely apologize for offending you -

But I have experience with chickens and they just gross me out - the idea of having to get a whiff of them on my back patio would make me a cranky neighbor! But I could have phrased it better in my last post. Perhaps you could explain to us what your plans/ideas are for having chickens at your home?
Apology accepted. I have read a lot of your posts, and was very surprised at your response.

Nonetheless, my wife, daughter and I are looking at keeping a small number of hens (3-5). There are a ton of positives that chickens in this environment would provide, not limited to the following:

1. 5 hens could provide my family (and neighbors) approximately 30 eggs per week! Great source of protein!!!
2. Chicken manure is extremely rich in nitrogen, and is a wonderful addition to a composter, or to be used as fertilizer - significantly cuts down/eliminate the need for chemical fertilizers!!
3. Chickens are one of the worlds best at eliminating insects (health hazards like ticks and mosquitoes). Significantly reducing/eliminating the need for harmful pesticides.
4. Great way to teach my daughter about sustainable living (where food comes from), and reduce our carbon foot-print.

The amount of manure 5 chickens would provide is pretty insignificant from an odor standpoint. 5 chickens that weigh less than 5 pounds each. My next door neighbors have 3 dogs, with a combined weight of about 180 pounds! Their 3 dogs are going to produce significantly more "waste" than 5 chickens would....and dog waste could contain harmful bacteria. Chicken waste is a wonderfully rich (in nitrogen) fertilizer. Hens make virtually no noise (outside of a proud chuckle after laying an egg). Wish I could say the same thing about some of the neighborhood dogs that bark all night!

We intend to build a nice chicken coop to house them, you can see pictures at the following link:

Chicken Coop Ideas and Pictures - Make It Your Own ::: TheGardenCoop.com

Here is another site that provides a ton of great information:

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

If you have been exposed to chickens at farms, or commercial operations, I could see why you would think they are dirty, nasty and gross smelling. In those settings their sole purpose is to sell for profit. We certainly aren't interested in having something that smells in our backyard, and would obviously maintain the coop to ensure that were never the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Reputation: 39857
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
Apology accepted. I have read a lot of your posts, and was very surprised at your response.

Nonetheless, my wife, daughter and I are looking at keeping a small number of hens (3-5). There are a ton of positives that chickens in this environment would provide, not limited to the following:

1. 5 hens could provide my family (and neighbors) approximately 30 eggs per week! Great source of protein!!!
2. Chicken manure is extremely rich in nitrogen, and is a wonderful addition to a composter, or to be used as fertilizer - significantly cuts down/eliminate the need for chemical fertilizers!!
3. Chickens are one of the worlds best at eliminating insects (health hazards like ticks and mosquitoes). Significantly reducing/eliminating the need for harmful pesticides.
4. Great way to teach my daughter about sustainable living (where food comes from), and reduce our carbon foot-print.

The amount of manure 5 chickens would provide is pretty insignificant from an odor standpoint. 5 chickens that weigh less than 5 pounds each. My next door neighbors have 3 dogs, with a combined weight of about 180 pounds! Their 3 dogs are going to produce significantly more "waste" than 5 chickens would....and dog waste could contain harmful bacteria. Chicken waste is a wonderfully rich (in nitrogen) fertilizer. Hens make virtually no noise (outside of a proud chuckle after laying an egg). Wish I could say the same thing about some of the neighborhood dogs that bark all night!

We intend to build a nice chicken coop to house them, you can see pictures at the following link:

Chicken Coop Ideas and Pictures - Make It Your Own ::: TheGardenCoop.com

Here is another site that provides a ton of great information:

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

If you have been exposed to chickens at farms, or commercial operations, I could see why you would think they are dirty, nasty and gross smelling. In those settings their sole purpose is to sell for profit. We certainly aren't interested in having something that smells in our backyard, and would obviously maintain the coop to ensure that were never the case.

Very interesting...thanks for taking the time to explain all that

I can certainly appreciate the value in living a more conscious lifestyle and producing some or your own food. Do you also plan to put in a big vegetable garden?

And since this way of life interests you, I am wondering if you have considered just moving out into the county or into neighboring counties where you could be in a more appropriate setting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: NoDa
157 posts, read 735,845 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Very interesting...thanks for taking the time to explain all that

I can certainly appreciate the value in living a more conscious lifestyle and producing some or your own food. Do you also plan to put in a big vegetable garden?

And since this way of life interests you, I am wondering if you have considered just moving out into the county or into neighboring counties where you could be in a more appropriate setting?
You are welcome, thanks for reading. Like so many things in life, its all about educating yourself. We do plan to do a garden....actually the plan we have is to grow some sort of vine up the chicken coop, and surround it with planter boxes....would collect rain water off the roof of the coop, and compost behind it...

We live in NoDa, and love it there....I know, you are probably thinking "ohhhhh, that explains it" LOL....so we don't really have a desire to live in the country....we just want to be more self sufficient where we are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,126,319 times
Reputation: 2324
My son has a small chicken farm in Wesley Chapel. Now, if you don't know the area, he is in the middle of $500K homes...although his is far from that.

His chickens do not smell and although the roosters are sometimes a bit noisy, the bigger problem that he has is too many eggs!!

No neighbour complaints thus far, in fact some even come over and buy eggs from him.

Another consideration to the OP is that we are still rural enough to have foxes & bobcats which are natural predators to chickens. There have been a number of unfortunate incidents and so he has had to resort to a fully covered pen rather than allowing them to completely free-range. (that's how I know about the pound thing) It just takes too long to raise them from chicks and they become egg-producing if the flock is wiped out every few months.

I actually have a blog on the urban farm. This is becoming more accepted as people want to be more self-sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 04:59 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Reputation: 22373
I am big into sustainable living and only wish I still had property out in the boonies to do just that.

My understanding is that you can not only have chickens, you can have honey bees, but I believe there is a restriction of how many hives you can have (like - per acre, maybe).

I agree that chicken poop is one of the nastiest smells on earth, but I used to go scoop up chicken poop and haul it back to my garden to mix with the soil as it makes the best fertilizer - EVER!

And I love fresh eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top