U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM

314 posts, read 422,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, it seems to me that someone is playing games with us, to be frank about it.

Either our county manager or the Mayor have decided that once the folks "with the money" get upset about the libraries, then we will all keep our mouths shut about where the money is actually going - and we will instead focus on HIGHER TAXES.

I can write the scene. (And yes, this is FICTION).

"After all, good citizens of CHARMECK," says our County Manager . . . "you all screamed and yelled about having your libraries closed. Well, the only way to operate them is to increase taxes by 35%."

And the Mayor just nods his head in agreement.

This is how I see it playing out, instead of folks saying "WAIT A MINUTE!!!! What about all the duplication of services going on in entitlements in this city?"

That is what I envision. We are getting played, folks. There is enough money in this county, for God's sake, to keep things open and functioning! The problem is HOW IT IS BEING ALLOCATED.

Are we just gonna let these people get away with this????
I ask myself that same question at every election, and everytime the citizens of this County keep voting the same council members into office that like to tax and spend. Mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,931,074 times
Quote:
That is what I envision. We are getting played, folks. There is enough money in this county, for God's sake, to keep things open and functioning! The problem is HOW IT IS BEING ALLOCATED.

Yep they are playing us like fiddles. Look at the incomprehensible complicate shell game the city, county, the CCCP and CMS played with tax payers funds so the Knights would move their little baseball team to downtown Charlotte. Nothing is more important in this city than building professional sports venues in downtown. (or uptown as these people have tried to rebrand it)

Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,931,074 times
Quote:

Yep they are playing us like fiddles. Look at the incomprehensible complicated shell game the city, county, the CCCP and CMS played with tax payers funds so the Knights would move their little baseball team to downtown Charlotte. This was done to hide the cost and to avoid the backlash because they were doing it on land that was covered by bonds that were voted in specifically with a "no baseball" clause in it so people would vote for the damn thing in the first place.

Nothing is more important in this city than building professional sports venues in downtown. (or uptown as these people have tried to rebrand it) Libraries are irrelevant to them and have become nothing but a pawn.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM

21 posts, read 44,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Before you start to trash-talk our city, understand it's not just happening in Charlotte. Philadelphia closed almost all of their libraries, there were branches closed in Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Boston, New York, etc...

Be honest: when's the last time any of you went and actually checked books out of the library? I'm not saying they aren't important places in an educated society, but to think that children are hanging out there after school is ludicrous. The only people I ever see in the library are SAHMs, old people, and people who don't have computers at home.

3/10/10 -
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and
Brideshead Revisited to re-read after seeing the movie

Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
I do genealogy research at libraries all over the place . . . by computer as well as on-site.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
I do genealogy research at libraries all over the place . . . by computer as well as on-site.
Me too. That's why I knew about the NC Live site, before I moved here. Then the librarian told me that it credits the library with a visit.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:07 AM

1,402 posts, read 1,706,542 times
Land was purchased in 2009 for a new regional library in Steele Creek. Funding came from bonds approved by voters in 2007. Funds for the construction of the new library will come from a future bond issue. County commissioners aren't even selling bonds that have already been approved. I don't think a new library bond issue is on anybody's radar right now. With the current budget situation, it will be years, maybe decades, before county commissioners and staff will even begin thinking about a new bond to construct this new library.

Steele Creek Residents Association

Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 AM

852 posts, read 2,215,803 times
I received this invitation this morning via facebook. Thought some would like to know.

Come support our local Mecklenburg Libraries! Dont let them take them away from us b/c of poor budgeting.
Lets Rally this Saturday at 10:00 AM at the Hickory Grove Branch (on the corner of Hickory Grove Rd. and Harris Blvd.),where there is already media and meetings scheduled! Bring signs, etc! The more the better! PLEASE NOTE: Commissioners Roberts and Clarke will only be there from 10a -11a. So please come at 10a!
Thanks!!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:07 AM

108 posts, read 84,838 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Has anyone in the Library administration or local government studied what other communities across the nation have done when facing these drastic types of library cutbacks? There are been many similar situations nationwide during the past few years, why not LEARN from what worked/didn't work in other cities/counties? (maybe because that would make too much sense??)
I am pretty certain that this consideration has taken place. Charlotte is often the first to initiate meetings and studies with mayors of other cities to remedy or study various scenarios both positive and potentially negative in nature. In the past, there have been donations from generous entities to exempt similar adverse actions from occuring. I think that most of us assumed that the bail out package and the president's immense concerns with education (hehe) would keep keeps everything in operation.

Last edited by ArthurMcAlister; 03-20-2010 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: fix the quote

Old 03-20-2010, 09:04 AM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Before you start to trash-talk our city, understand it's not just happening in Charlotte. Philadelphia closed almost all of their libraries, there were branches closed in Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Boston, New York, etc...

Be honest: when's the last time any of you went and actually checked books out of the library? I'm not saying they aren't important places in an educated society, but to think that children are hanging out there after school is ludicrous. The only people I ever see in the library are SAHMs, old people, and people who don't have computers at home.
I lived in the South Jersey suburbs of Philly most of my life & they take libraries very seriously in that region. (Ben Franklin opened the 1st library in this country in Philadelphia.)

They have temporarily closed libraries before, during budget crisises.

I checked their main website. They have a link for closing & hours. There have been some closures, but some hours have been cut in other branches. The closures are scattered around town.

Free Library of Philadelphia

This goes with what some have said in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or