U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:55 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,645,324 times

Advertisements

I frequently go the Steele Creek and Morrison branches. I was really surprised to see Morrison on chopping block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
What on earth is a 'whitewater center?????' Sounds like a huge boondoggle to me!
Link - US National Whitewater Center

Quote:
The U.S. National Whitewater Center is an outdoor recreation facility set on the banks of the Catawba River in Charlotte, NC. Our nearly 400 acres of woodlands is home to the world's largest recirculating river, 14 miles of biking, hiking and running trails, and one of the world's largest outdoor climbing facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,501,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
You've hit the nail right on the head Sunny. The question then becomes what else will they try to get us to pay for along with the libraries?
Your right it will not be tax or bond referendum this election there
will be something else besides wanting bonds for libraries and parks

Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,876,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Here is an interesting link to Mecklenberg salaries - it looks like their IT dept (IST) ALONE is way overstaffed.
24 Help Desk employees???
16 IT Managers?
13 Project Managers?
How many people do they support? No offense but I doubt you are a qualified CEO/CIO to determine if this is a normal staff amount or not. What are your credentials again?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,569,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
How many people do they support? No offense but I doubt you are a qualified CEO/CIO to determine if this is a normal staff amount or not. What are your credentials again?
No, I am not a CIO, but a concerned citizen and not a sheep that is fed everything that is given me.

You must work for the county, or you would never think the government has waste. I believe we should look at waste and reduce it instead of throwing more money at it. Or you just don't care.

I have been in IT for over 8 years now, and worked for one company that has 60k+ employees and am working for one now with 45k+ employees. I can tell you our IT depts are half of what I listed earlier. It is because it is based on company revenue, and not simply increasing taxes or shutting down areas that will cause the community to give more out of their pockets. Look at the fund raisers going on now by the community. If they announced they were reducing IT, legal, Public Service and Info (PS&I) or some other area that isn't high visibility in the community, would there be fund raisers to save their jobs? I doubt services would be affected that much either.

The employee databases on the Observer web site say there are almost 20k CMS employees and Meck Co has approx 5k employees. Not total employees I would think, but most likely the ones that are supported by an IT system. Look at other areas too, and not just IT and tell me you think every employee position is manadatory and there is no waste there.

Mecklenburg County salary database - CharlotteObserver.com

People need to wake up regarding our government and not attack people that are trying to make it more lean. Just like someone else mentioned in this thread, a lot of people that work for government barely do anything since they know they have a stable job. Just go to a DMV or unemployment office and my point is proven.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,876,493 times
Nope, I don't work for the county or any government entity for that matter: always public or private companies. And I've been in IT for over 13 years. Each company has its own plans/ways of dealing with IT regarding how many people it needs. The number of employees needed is not something I am privy too, and unless an obvious corruption/$$ issue/manhandling is revealed, the HR dept decisions are not something I'm going to concern myself with at this moment.

My issue with your comment was based on your pure numbers without proving how those numbers are unnecessary. You did not say how many were contractors vs full time, etc.

Quote:
No, I am not a CIO, but a concerned citizen and not a sheep that is fed everything that is given me.

You must work for the county, or you would never think the government has waste. I believe we should look at waste and reduce it instead of throwing more money at it. Or you just don't care.

I have been in IT for over 8 years now, and worked for one company that has 60k+ employees and am working for one now with 45k+ employees. I can tell you our IT depts are half of what I listed earlier. It is because it is based on company revenue, and not simply increasing taxes or shutting down areas that will cause the community to give more out of their pockets. Look at the fund raisers going on now by the community. If they announced they were reducing IT, legal, Public Service and Info (PS&I) or some other area that isn't high visibility in the community, would there be fund raisers to save their jobs? I doubt services would be affected that much either.

The employee databases on the Observer web site say there are almost 20k CMS employees and Meck Co has approx 5k employees. Not total employees I would think, but most likely the ones that are supported by an IT system. Look at other areas too, and not just IT and tell me you think every employee position is manadatory and there is no waste there.

Mecklenburg County salary database - CharlotteObserver.com

People need to wake up regarding our government and not attack people that are trying to make it more lean. Just like someone else mentioned in this thread, a lot of people that work for government barely do anything since they know they have a stable job. Just go to a DMV or unemployment office and my point is proven.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,569,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
The number of employees needed is not something I am privy too, and unless an obvious corruption/$$ issue/manhandling is revealed, the HR dept decisions are not something I'm going to concern myself with at this moment.
Maybe its time to get involved?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,416,020 times
Quote:
I have been in IT for over 8 years now, and worked for one company that has 60k+ employees and am working for one now with 45k+ employees. I can tell you our IT depts are half of what I listed earlier.
You are grossly misrepresenting IT... No staffing decisions can be made on the info posted here - total employees is NOT a representation of the complexity of an IT environment. A light environment might need a small team or a heavy global environment might need a complex staff that follows the sun. Regardless of what your current company might "show", you clearly don't have the management experience to make an assumption that the IT is "over staffed" here.

I'm all for transparency, but I don't see why you form a lynching mob without any details. That staff count here seems more then reasonable.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,047,546 times
Well said. I guess you must work for the county also. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You are grossly misrepresenting IT... No staffing decisions can be made on the info posted here - total employees is NOT a representation of the complexity of an IT environment. A light environment might need a small team or a heavy global environment might need a complex staff that follows the sun. Regardless of what your current company might "show", you clearly don't have the management experience to make an assumption that the IT is "over staffed" here.

I'm all for transparency, but I don't see why you form a lynching mob without any details. That staff count here seems more then reasonable.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,416,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Well said. I guess you must work for the county also. ;-)

haha - just a lowly IT engineer who hates seeing layoffs, jobs outsourced, and tired of delivering fairly poor service for it. Now it's constant cuts and constant "doing it better and faster" (justifiably so). I get it. But, IT is a service that's on the wrong side of the ledger. It's an east target for cuts, but it's a necessary evil. Bad IT is bad IT. I don't know - maybe they have too much IT staff at these libraries and it did contribute to the closing. That would really suck as I would never want to see a library close. I just don't think it's fair to dump on IT without getting the dirt.

Actually, now that I think about it... I'm old enough to remember when you had to flip through file drawers to find a book number. Do they even teach Dewey Decimal system to kids now?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,586,768 times
new library closing proposal.....

Up to 6 Mecklenburg libraries could close under proposal - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/02/2103272/up-to-6-libraries-could-close.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or