U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 AM

10,325 posts, read 20,556,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

Times are tough, we need the essentials, not the extras.
GovCo just cannot figure that out.
I call it the dumbing down of America. I especially LOVE how one of the libraries slated to close just opened a few weeks ago at a cost of $5 million to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,023,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I especially LOVE how one of the libraries slated to close just opened a few weeks ago at a cost of $5 million to build.
WTH?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,565,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
You think the county doesn't have plenty of entitlement programs? There's still only so much tax money to go around. It's a lot like that old song "the hand bone's connected to the arm bone. . . " Well, the county's connected to the state, the state's connected to the federal.

Just like the tax refund checks being withheld.

Votes have consequences.

yeah and that is like saying that We the People have a choice or that our votes count.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 AM

10,325 posts, read 20,556,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
WTH?
That was also my reaction when I first heard about it. It's the Hickory Grove location: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/01/10/1168962/hickory-grove-library-opening.html (broken link) But I shouldn't be too suprised. I mean it is the Government after all. LOL. They love to go on spending sprees when times are good like for a whitewater center and NASCAR museum. But when times get tough...uh oh.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:24 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,854,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Be honest: when's the last time any of you went and actually checked books out of the library? I'm not saying they aren't important places in an educated society, but to think that children are hanging out there after school is ludicrous. The only people I ever see in the library are SAHMs, old people, and people who don't have computers at home.
I use the library on a very regular basis, this really make me sad by this, several staff in the checkit outlet know me by name as I was there so often.

Mecklenburg county had an amazing library system, and I was perfectly happy to have part of my taxes go to fund this and I made full use of this wonderful service.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM

6,496 posts, read 4,534,420 times
Yes, it is a shame those libraries are closing. On the other hand, having private donations keep them open sends the wrong message to our city/county government. That someone will ALWAYS bail them out when they overspend our tax dollars.

If you want to donate to keep the libraries open, do so. But, don't forget about the financial mismanagement by the current officials when the next elections come around.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,934,760 times
Why is the only option to privately donate? Why are we not calling on the County Manager, budget analysts, county commissioners, city council, Mayor, etc. to re-examine the budget and choose different priorities?

Why is everyone so willing to just roll over on this?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,733,102 times
I think everyone goes overboard with financial mismanagement accusations. With vastly less tax money coming in, it would be like someone in the family losing their job. Cuts have to be made, but it has nothing to do with mismanagement. Yes, they could have closed libraries earlier, but that's difficult to do until you have to.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,934,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I think everyone goes overboard with financial mismanagement accusations. With vastly less tax money coming in, it would be like someone in the family losing their job. Cuts have to be made, but it has nothing to do with mismanagement. Yes, they could have closed libraries earlier, but that's difficult to do until you have to.
Having dealt with corporate budgets of millions of dollars, I know there are choices and priorities.

My question is . . . why are "we the people" just sitting here accepting the choices?

Why are folks not questioning why some programs are staying in place and the libraries, for example, being cut?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,411,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My question is . . . why are "we the people" just sitting here accepting the choices?

Why are folks not questioning why some programs are staying in place and the libraries, for example, being cut?
Probably because even though the libraries are a very public issue there are still not many people that would be affect by their closing. Now if the city decided to not pick up the trash for a few months or cut the police force in half then there would probably be a greater response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or