Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,240 times

Advertisements

It appears to me that Eastern Mecklenburg county is the hardest hit. Too bad, the folks in Hickory Grove have waited years for a new library. The little hole-in-the wall library was always full. The new one just opened about a month ago!! They closed all three libraries in east Charlotte. The University library is the closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Face facts. There's only so much tax money to go around. You can have lots of entitlement programs or you can have libraries, parks, recreation, etc. The country voted for entitlements.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Face facts. There's only so much tax money to go around. You can have lots of entitlement programs or you can have libraries, parks, recreation, etc. The country voted for entitlements.

This is not a federal issue it is a county issue.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Indeed. Ironically the Charlotte Observer has two articles on it at the moment. One is about the library closings due to the $2M shortfall. The other is about Michael Jordan officially taking over the Bobcats which was the recipient of the biggest entitlement in the city's history. i.e. the $300M taxpayer paid for arena. I do realize that we are talking city taxes vs county taxes but this difference comes from how they decided to divide it up when they consolidated portions of the government.

The library is indeed being closed due to the nature of what are the priorities in the USA these days.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 PM

12 posts, read 27,335 times
I'm so sad! Any news on what will happen in the future? Are there plans for them to be reopened eventually or is it a permanent move?

We're still new here and were thrilled to have a library somewhat close to the house. Now the closest is 6 miles away and with traffic that's not nearly as convenient as it sounds. Bummer

Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Before you start to trash-talk our city, understand it's not just happening in Charlotte. Philadelphia closed almost all of their libraries, there were branches closed in Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Boston, New York, etc...

Be honest: when's the last time any of you went and actually checked books out of the library? I'm not saying they aren't important places in an educated society, but to think that children are hanging out there after school is ludicrous. The only people I ever see in the library are SAHMs, old people, and people who don't have computers at home.
I check out books all the time from South County Regional. All of my kids, especially my youngest, love going there. There are also a lot of fun programs for children during the week (when my youngest is not in preschool). I pretty much grew up going to libraries, and I worked at one during college as a part time job. I also cannot financially purchase every book that catches my eye at Barnes & Noble so unless it is one of my favorite must-have authors I will try to check it out of the library instead. I simply cannot spend all my money on books . Plus I have no more room to put them in. Just ask my husband.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM

210 posts, read 507,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbanana2002 View Post
I'm sure that if they asked,people would gladly volunteer at the libraries to keep them open. I know I would do so a few days a week.
That's how they keep the small town libraries in Maine open during the week. Hours are limited to a few a day, but when there are only about 500 people in town, everyone faces compromises and volunteers.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM

45 posts, read 76,956 times
It's a shame. The people overseeing the budget seem to have no forecasting abilities. By the time the public is made aware of the shortfalls it is always too late to do anything. I don't know why more isn't done to incorporate libraries with other community programs that might help to reduce costs. I grew up going to the library each week when I was little and in highschool would commonly go to the public library for book reports or projects. Even with most kids using the internet for research now I don't think it helps when you take resources away from children.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This is not a federal issue it is a county issue.

You think the county doesn't have plenty of entitlement programs? There's still only so much tax money to go around. It's a lot like that old song "the hand bone's connected to the arm bone. . . " Well, the county's connected to the state, the state's connected to the federal.

Just like the tax refund checks being withheld.

Votes have consequences.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Be honest: when's the last time any of you went and actually checked books out of the library? I'm not saying they aren't important places in an educated society, but to think that children are hanging out there after school is ludicrous. The only people I ever see in the library are SAHMs, old people, and people who don't have computers at home.
Ever been to Imaginon or the main library any afternoon? Tons of kids on the computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte