Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
I was going to create a thread but thankfully I used the search function . Anyway, I am a black male looking to move to Charlotte and though I do not date exclusively interracially (I am an equal opportunity lover), I would like to know first of all how open the women are of all races, black included, to dating black men in Charlotte and more importantly, if I will have any problems if I end up dating someone that is of another race and we are out. Is it common enough to where people don't look twice or is there still a "stigma" to interracial dating in Charlotte?

Thanks for all sincere replies!
Who cares if anyone likes it? People may not like the black/white thing (and it isn't just the south), but everyone tolerates it these days anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Who cares if anyone likes it? People may not like the black/white thing (and it isn't just the south), but everyone tolerates it these days anyway.
not "everyone" obv tolerates it these days.....cmon, lets be real here.

I have zero problem w/it...I could care less. But you have a lot of old school people who won't be accepting of it no matter how nice or friendly you are.....that's the truth.

And that goes for up north just as much as here....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
not "everyone" obv tolerates it these days.....cmon, lets be real here.

I have zero problem w/it...I could care less. But you have a lot of old school people who won't be accepting of it no matter how nice or friendly you are.....that's the truth.

And that goes for up north just as much as here....
I didn't say accepting, I said tolerating. One doesn't really have a choice. They either have to tollerate it or stay inside of their house so they don't see it. You don't have to like or accept something that you tolerate. I don't like or accept the footfall noise from the condo above me, but I have to tolerate it or move. By the way, I am moving. I agree with your statement.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
Default You Need to Go Back To NY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylady716 View Post
If anyone tells you that there is no problem with your choice, they are lying. I have lived here for three years, My children are mixed. I work every day and just had my second child graduate high school. Being that they are mixed, they don't have the "white" hair or skin nor do they have the "black" hair or skin. But they are different so I was told. Since the time we have lived here, we have been called names, been harassed by the police etc. There is no such thing as southern hospitality and you can really ask any person who is from the north. I cannot have a picture of my children in public view at my job, it is ridiculous. Please consider other places. It may be the melting pot, but the people who have been here forever will not change and they instill these things into their kids and grandkids. I always felt say what you mean, say how you feel. As for down here, people laugh and smile in your face, and do other things behind your back. It's not every single person don't get me wrong, but it's enough to make you say goodbye to the south!
I am so tired of "Yankees" moving down south and then sparing nothing when trashing how horrible it is to live here! I am a Southern girl, born and bred. I have several friends who have spouses of other races (not just black). There are several interracial couples at my son's school and in our small town. There are some people who will never learn to be accepting of differences no matter what they are and you have to accept that. I find it very hard to believe that you can't put a picture of your children on your desk at work. Where in the world do you work? The prejudice might exist still but I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to put voice to it. If you hate it down here so much, go back. I'd be willing to put money in the pot to help send all of you South hating Yankees back where you belong and I don't care what color any of you are!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I am so tired of "Yankees" moving down south and then sparing nothing when trashing how horrible it is to live here! I am a Southern girl, born and bred. I have several friends who have spouses of other races (not just black). There are several interracial couples at my son's school and in our small town. There are some people who will never learn to be accepting of differences no matter what they are and you have to accept that. I find it very hard to believe that you can't put a picture of your children on your desk at work. Where in the world do you work? The prejudice might exist still but I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to put voice to it. If you hate it down here so much, go back. I'd be willing to put money in the pot to help send all of you South hating Yankees back where you belong and I don't care what color any of you are!
Wow, talk about going off.....

Ya know, I really don't think this issue is really a north/south thing.

Racism/prejudice exists in every part of the country. Only a fool would believe it doesn't. I know many people who are very "old school" in their beliefs and won't change. That's just the way it is. Most times you control how you feel.

What was my point again? Oh yeah, going off on the "south" because you think their fakes is just as bad as trashing "yankees" who come down south to live.....

Old 12-12-2007, 02:32 PM

222 posts, read 690,983 times
It amazes me the number of times someone says go back to where you came from. Last time I checked it was a free country and one could move anywhere they wanted to. They are also allowed to have an opinion on just about anything. That's why it's called an opinion. It's also funny how people in the south are allowed to say anything about Yankees a million times a day but if one Yankee says one negative thing about the south they have started a war. Please spare me the speeches on what Yankees do when they move here. People in the south are just as guilty. Can't we all just get along? With that being said....

I have seen many interracial couples here. Will people stare? sure they will. It's not just down south I saw it in NY as well. If you are happy with yourself and your relationship, it should not matter what others think, it's your life.

Welcome to Charlotte you will be fine.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,140 times
My husband and I are an interracial couple, and have not experienced racism yet, but are wanting to move to a nice, quiet, older neighborhood in Matthews, next to Charlotte, and are worried about the same thing. Anyone know of any blatant racism in the Deer Creek Drive area, below Matthews Elementary?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM

159 posts, read 335,042 times
As a member of a family that resembles the United Nations, interracial couples are a common sight in all area, social and economic backgrounds here in Charlotte. Yes, people may stare or try not to, however those opinions aren't usually blatantly racist or anything, probably more like a curiosity instead. Then again it all depends on how a person was raised and their environment. Now when I went to school in Winston-Salem, the diversity isn't quite like Charlotte and interracial couples IMO aren't well accepted there compared to Charlotte.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,035 times
Since OP posted this almost four years ago, I think they have figured it out by now.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
The post a couple above yours resurrected the thread, to ask a specific question.

Creative Loafing just had an article about a project, Southern Blend, which looks at interracial dating. Interesting concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte