Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 AM

196 posts, read 428,482 times

Advertisements

Looking for ideas for a short local trip - 2 to 3 days. We are new to the area and would like to take advantage of spring break (my son is 6). I was contemplating Atlanta, but giving that 2nd thoughts with construction on 85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Maybe Charleston? He would enjoy the aquarium, you can go to the beach and there's a lot of historic stuff to see as well. I think they have a children's museum, although I don't know if it's more of a preschool-age thing or if it's ok for elementary age as well. Charleston is a beautiful, classically southern coastal town with lots of large trees, Spanish moss, old homes, etc. very different from the Oregon beaches you may be used to!

p.s. Children's Museum of the Lowcountry : Charleston, SC

South Carolina Aquarium on Charleston Harbor

Old 04-15-2011, 09:15 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
Looking for ideas for a short local trip - 2 to 3 days. We are new to the area and would like to take advantage of spring break (my son is 6). I was contemplating Atlanta, but giving that 2nd thoughts with construction on 85.
My top vote goes to Charleston!

It's a very easy 3 hour drive from Charlotte. And you won't find such good food for several states away.

Take your son to the aquarium, he'll love that! South Carolina Aquarium on Charleston Harbor

And then take the short ferry ride out into the harbor to see Fort Sumpter. With the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War there are all kinds of activities going on at the fort.

In addition, while it is too early to swim, you can enjoy going to the beach to collect shells or fly some kites

Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I would suggest Morehead City, though could never argue with Charleston. You could spend one day going north and one day going south, and of course there is a lot to do right around MHC, too.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I think the Atlanta idea still deserves some merit. They have the aquarium, and a six-year old might like the World of Coke. Then there's always Stone Mountain, and the Air Force museum at Warner-Robbins AFB. And then there's always a trip out to the country for a visit to one of the Amish farms.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach ALL the way. Especially for a kid! I always viewed Charleston as a more Adult oriented place where as Mrytle Beach was much much more kid friendly (and all ages, really). Myrtle Beach has Aquariums, All sorts of fun attractions, Lots of cool beach stores, lots of fun things to do, and just tons of fun in general.

http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/albu...h-pavilion.jpg

Alllll kinds of fun to be had at Myrtle and just much more kid friendly with lots of kid friendly attractions. Not so Charleston. Charleston to live, Myrtle Beach for Spring Break.

Myrtle Beach

Charleston

Which one looks more Spring Breakish just based off an aerial photo?

I wouldn't go to Atlanta for Spring Break. Nor would I suggest it. Now for a random weekend, yeah. But for spring break, no. I'd suggest the beach #1 and mountains #2 (for a kid)

When my mother used to take me to Charleston when I was around 6, I could nearly choke on a knife I was bored. We saw historical stuff, slave trade things, blah blah bah. I just wanted to play and have fun. Not learn. lol. Kids shouldn't have to learn on spring break. They should go play, get hurt, and have fun.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 04-15-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM

196 posts, read 428,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
. And then there's always a trip out to the country for a visit to one of the Amish farms.
I had no idea there were Amish establishments here in the south- will need to check into this.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would suggest Morehead City, though could never argue with Charleston. You could spend one day going north and one day going south, and of course there is a lot to do right around MHC, too.
Indeed. You could also add New Bern to this trip to see the Colonial capital of NC. Also, it's a nice day trip to take the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke island out at the Outer Banks.

Charleston should be seen once, but it has gotten so touristy, that I think the above trip is better.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I think the Atlanta idea still deserves some merit. They have the aquarium, and a six-year old might like the World of Coke. Then there's always Stone Mountain, and the Air Force museum at Warner-Robbins AFB. And then there's always a trip out to the country for a visit to one of the Amish farms.

Okay, now you need to identify where there are Amish farms K.

I am only aware of Mennonites in NC/SC/VA

Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 AM

214 posts, read 399,112 times
Charleston is always an awesome place. I also agree Myrtle Beach is great for the kids.

No mentions of South of the Border on I-95? Hahaha. Sorry for mentioning that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte