Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This not true
within the last six months

500 JOBS coming soon

A Fortune 100 company coming to create hundreds of jobs!

Local companies added more than 15,500 jobs in Mecklenburg County last year

Mortgage services business Zenta adding 1,000 jobs in Charlotte

Siemens confirms boost in Jobs in Charlotte

I think this is a good thing.
People learn to live off the goverment and dont make effort to learn another trade where the jobs are. I see plenty of jobs in the
classifieds so you cant tell me their isnt work
There are some jobs out there. But nothing like before 2008. Plus, some of the jobs that folks are qualified for here may not be open here - folks may have to relocate. I think that is pretty much the case all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM

314 posts, read 486,118 times
Quote:
This not true

500 JOBS coming soon

People learn to live off the goverment and dont make effort to learn another trade where the jobs are. I see plenty of jobs in the
Sunny, totally disagree. Charlotte has lost way too many jobs within the last 2 years. A lot of them are not coming back. And some of these companies that are coming are being given benefits by the county at taxpayers expense. ( i.e. Siemens ) Also, Dell comes to mind for Forsyth County. They set up shop in Winston Salem after being given some great tax breaks, and 1 year later they said bye bye to Winston Salem. Could that happen to Charlotte as well?

Look at your links:

1. 500 job coming soon. That is a drop in the bucket to how many jobs have been lost.

2. Again, a few hundred jobs. Not even putting a dent in the people that needs jobs. More businesses are closing then are coming here.

3. If 15,000 jobs were added last year, why is that the unemployment rate keeps going higher in Charlotte? Again, way more companies are laying off than are hiring.

4. Mortgage services.... are you kidding me? With the housing market declining, I don't see this place staying in business too long.

5. Siemens... again a drop in the bucket. We are losing way more jobs then are being created. Siemens also was given special treatment by Mecklenburg County to come here.

I thought our government said that the unemployment rate wasn't supposed to get above 8.7% after the stimulus package was passed. We are now sitting at 12.8% an all time high in Mecklenburg County.

"Unemployment hits new high in Charlotte metro in January"

Unemployment hits new high in Charlotte metro in January - Charlotte Business Journal:

If your theory was correct, Charlotte wouldn't be sitting at an all time high unemployment rate.

Our economy is based on consumption. We no longer produce anything. Most of the industries have been shipped overseas and are not coming back. We as a nation have to reinvent ourselves or we are in deep doo doo.

Last edited by mmoorecharlotte; 03-19-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times
Quote:
This not true

500 JOBS coming soon

Most of what you posted are companies that are "Planning" to add jobs. These companies claim they will add jobs when they really don't. All they are doing is trying to give themselves a boost by trying to look like they are a healthy company when they really aren't. It always makes a company look good when they claim that they are going to hire hundreds of workers in a particular area. The only company that will probably add jobs is Siemens but other than that people are still losing jobs at record pace.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 PM

314 posts, read 486,118 times
Like I said

"Charlotte among largest job losers" - March 19, 2010

Charlotte among largest job losers - Charlotte Business Journal:

and also:

"Mecklenburg bankrupticies rise" - March 19, 2010

Mecklenburg bankruptcies rise - Charlotte Business Journal:

I just wanted to thank everyone that I had the pleasure of chatting with on this board. It's time to move on. I wish everyone the best

Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 AM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
This is hope and change.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Sunny,

The 500 Jobs you mentioned are a hoax. As I understand it they are ONLY for people who have children in the home under 18 and are geared toward TANF and other welfare receipients. It's another smoke and mirrors decoy by our mayor made to look like jobs creation, but is in fact another handout program.

And, the article about Zenta is VERY misleading. I've interviewed there and the HR person told me that they DO NOT have 1,000 openings. That was just a PROJECTED goal over the next FIVE YEARS.

I believe the Research Campus is planned for the Raleigh area, not Charlotte.

So, you see this article, like most others posted by the Charlotte Observer is biased to reflect the success of the current administration. Even if 15,000 new jobs were created I don't believe it wouldn't make up for the recent loss.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 AM

Excuse me, I was WRONG about the Research Campus. Rowan County, not Raleigh. However, still not in Charlotte/Mecklenburg.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Excuse me, I was WRONG about the Research Campus. Rowan County, not Raleigh. However, still not in Charlotte/Mecklenburg.
Right it is in Kannapolis only 30 mionute drive from Charlotte probably a lot less for people living in North Charlotte who will live in Charlotte
spend money in Charlotte, participate in the community in Charlotte

The research campus is in its infant stage Charlotte has a lot to gain from this The company is going to need vendors & distributors
besides the jobs it will create it will spawn more jobs in other sectors that
will benefit from this NEW company moving here.

It was probably the catalyst for Mosanto opening shop there to
create more jobs & vendors & distributors

Yes We Can

Old 03-20-2010, 07:55 AM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Indeed Ani, Charlotte has a long history of contractors and temps. The company where I work has almost half of the workforce as contractors, no benefits, no PTO, just a paycheck, which in today's economy, is good enough. I think over all, the Charlotte unemployment rate (counting underemployed, transplants without a job and those that no longer are receiving unemployment benefits) should hover around 18%.
You can't count transplants because they don't recieve their unemployment benefits through mecklenburg county. I am a transplant and I recieved mine through NY even when I live here.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
You can't count transplants because they don't recieve their unemployment benefits through mecklenburg county. I am a transplant and I recieved mine through NY even when I live here.
That's true Amanda. And, I believe there are many just like you here who are drawing unemployment from another state. That makes our true unemployment rate even higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte