U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:44 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,696,454 times

Advertisements

There was a shampoo on the market in a black bottle, it uses a tea plant oil in it, look for "Tea Oil" in the ingredients of shampoos, I think it's an Australian brand with a pink kangaroo logo. It's been a while since I've used it, so not sure it's still out there, but we got it at a pet store. That would be your number one defense against her skin allergies. The number two is to try Nutro dogfood, expensive, but it helps the skin and coats of dogs tremendously. Also, consider using Revolution for flea/heartworm control, you will have NO problems with fleas whatsoever, just in case.

We have a chow-mix, too, who has skin allergies, and we have figured out three things TRIGGER this: One, collars with plastic on it; only use leather collars. Two, stuff that grows in the yard and mud in the yard, so keep the grass cut flat, do not take your dog where grass is high, and avoid muddy areas, put mulch on any of their doggie paths. Three, food and shampoos can irritate our dog, so the best food to feed her is Nutro and the best shampoo to use seasonally is anything with "Tea Oil" in it.

And whether you like it or not, Prednisone (steroids) is the way to go for treating allergies, if the above stuff doesn't work that me and everyone else has said. There are diaper things you can put on dogs, and I realize that's extreme, but if she pees whilst walking around, that's what you should do. You can use cool water to sponge her off. But if she only pees when she's laying on her bed, there are all sorts of things you can put on the bed to soak up mistakes. If it's a walking routine problem, and she KNOWS when she is going to go, but needs to go out too often, you can get a relatively new product called, "Pee Pad," or something named like that, and it looks like grass, you can put it in the kitchen, get a rather large patch and it holds a gallon of water, and you can train her to use it in the house, just empty it after you change her water every day.

Keep us all posted on what happens, if you can get this thing under control. Her vet should do a skin test, too, to make real sure she doesn't have an obvious oddball problem that can be cured. And reconsider the Prednisone...what's a little pee between friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM

716 posts, read 1,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
There's a newer doggie allergy medication called atopica that might work for you. Both of our dogs have seasonal allergies and have to be on steroids basically for 4 months out of the year, and we have considered atopica instead. Another thing that can help is a diet high in Omega 3s. We switched our pups to Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato. It does not contain any wheat or corn. They also get an Omega 3 capsule every day. It seems to help a lot!

We go to Piper Glen Animal Hospital and see Dr. Brown. She is not an animal dermatologist, but she has told us several times that she sees and treats many pets with allergies. I think it's just part of living in Charlotte for people and animals!
We saw Dr. Brown for our cat who was tearing himself up scratching his head. We tried the diet thing for a few months, but that didn't make it any better. So we tried the Atopica, and it WORKS. He's so much better now!

So maybe it would work for your dog too, OP.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:57 PM

510 posts, read 1,844,503 times
If it is a food allergy (to beef, meats, etc.) be sure to check what heartworm prevention they are on, the vet may change your pet to revolution (does not protect against ticks though).

Old 03-20-2010, 05:04 PM

37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
I have had the problem with a cat and it was, indeed, a flea allergy remedied by stringent flea medicine.
I am no expert, but the stinkiness sounds to me like a yeast infection. Have they treated for this?
If I were trying to come up with a home remedy, I would try a human shampoo that contains coal tar. This is what cures severe cases of human dandruff and scalp issues. It couldn't hurt.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM

5 posts, read 23,366 times
I have a similar itchy dog...jack russell...5 vets later I found one that could help. Dr. Weeks at Providence Animal. Atopica was prescribed...gave us a written prescription so I could get it less expensive via the web. Highly recommend.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 PM

41 posts, read 86,842 times
We have been where you are. It broke my heart to watch our baby suffer.And YES Rudy is our baby. He is a chocolate with a great sense of humor, but not when it came to the itchies.We switched his flea med to K-9 Advantix that helped a little, but still those patches of what seemed like rotting flesh would pop up. Some one (a Lab breeder) suggested dandruff shampoo.First a Neutrogena bath every two weeks.When that got it under control we switched to Head and Shoulders with selenium sulfide. It works better than the pyrithione(sp) zinc. If you are unable to bathe your baby yourself,hire a teenager. Oh yeah, I always let it soak on him for about 10-15 min.make sure you keep him moist. As for the food NO cheese it is the #1 allergy culprit in Labs.It is in almost all commercially made treats. Make your own. We do. You might want to do the turkey/rice diet for a couple months.It helps flush out allergens.Dog version of bland diet. Although you will have to brush his teeth more often.The rice just gunks on teeth!!!We now feed Rudy Nutro Natural Choice,the venison stuff. You can get at pet stores and Tractor Supply. Good luck with your baby.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 PM

169 posts, read 412,855 times
We feed our dog Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach dry food and once a day cut open a Fish Oil capsule into his food and it's helped him with the licking and scratching and his stomach issues.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:50 PM

564 posts, read 1,340,377 times
We had a chow-lab mix who seemed to scratch alot. Here is a link for something we tried:

DermCaps - DermCaps REGULAR (60 capsules) by DVM Pharmaceuticals

It was very helpuful, although his case seems minor to what you are describing.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 PM

38 posts, read 81,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
We had a chow-lab mix who seemed to scratch alot. Here is a link for something we tried:

DermCaps - DermCaps REGULAR (60 capsules) by DVM Pharmaceuticals

It was very helpuful, although his case seems minor to what you are describing.

The FDA shut down the manufacturer of DermCaps last fall:
VIN News
UPDATE 2-US FDA: Teva blocked from selling animal drugs | Reuters

This is the company that made my shampoo, Hylyt, that really helped my dogs. I've used DermCaps for one of my dogs years ago. It seemed to help. I now just add a fish oil capsule to my current dog's supper. I've checked into the Natural Balance foods. The allergy line is called L.I.D. (limited ingredient diet). My current dog does very well on Blue Buffalo Organics.

If you go the route of steroids, I can recommend getting waterproof baby changing pads or waterproof unfitted crib mattress covers to help with the urine issues. Put one of these over the dog's bed and then a bath towel or throw blanket over that. These are easy to wash and can keep the bed dry. I've used this with senior dogs that have bladder control problems.

The odor issue could signal yeast problems as another poster mentioned. Dogs can also get staph infections from flea bites as well. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:15 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,598,009 times
Sounds like you've received some helpful advice here but if I were you, I'd post your question in the City-Data dog forum (listed under "Pets.") There are many, many seasoned dog owners there who will be happy to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte