Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times

Advertisements

Have you had the dog checked for mange mites? From your description it sounds like this is the poor fellow's problem. It often gets misdiagonsed as some sort of allergy. Usually it can be cleared up at him by a few dog dips that you don't rinse off. I forget the formula but I think it is a weak mixture of hydrogen peroxide and 20 Mule Team from the laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
If it's allergies it could be more than just a flea allergy. Our guy is allergic to everything from fleas to pollen & grasses to human dander (yes, the dog is allergic to people, ugh.).
They cycle goes like this....
Itching causes biting and licking that leads to yeast overgrowth/infection and then bacterial skin infections. He suffers from the allergies all the time but it's worse in the spring.

We have him on anti-yeast meds for a few months each spring (ketoconazole) in addition to an antihistamine, low dose prednisone and medicated baths, which he gets all the time. We resisted putting him on the prednisone but it's the only thing that's worked for him and it's cruel to allow him to be constantly itching and suffering. We also have him on a grain free food and have seen additional improvement in his condition. We only give him benadryl at night when his sleep is disrupted by the itching.

We were using Malaseb shampoo and that stuff was WONDERFUL but made by DVM so now out of production. We've been using some other anti-yeast shampoos but they don't work as well. We could bathe him every 3-4 weeks with the Malaseb but now it's every week with not as good results. I'm looking into alternatives or mixing my own shampoo with the same active ingredients as the Malaseb.

I hope you find something that will work for your dog, it really is a horrible thing for them to go through.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 15,964 times
Default same problem

We have a 2 year old lab. We buy benadryl in bulk, and have just purchased a carpet steamer after the last course of steroids. We go to Waxhaw animal hospital, and are very pleased with the care and service that they provide. It was suggested that we could de-sensitize her, but it is time-consuming, expensive, not without risks, and may not even help much. The fish-oil definately helps, and we changed the food which helped a little. It does seem to happen more in the spring & fall. We recently moved from NY, and from what I hear about the allergies in the spring, I may look into the de-sensitizing. Hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM

41 posts, read 144,136 times
I have a Bichon/Poodle mix who is allergic to certain foods. She, too, was scratching all the time. I eliminated chicken, duck, turkey....she was obviously allergic to anything with feathers....because she's now doing much better and not scratching as much. Food allergies cause itching and skin problems. Hope your pet gets relief soon.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Check out this website for dog food reviews:

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

You would be shocked at the amount of filler food that is in the major commerical brands. If your dog does have a food allergy, that filler food is normally the culprit. Just cause something says "lamb meal and rice" doesn't mean it isn't leaded with wheat, soy, corn, etc.

After having so many itch related issues with my other two dogs, I did some reading up and realized what I thought was a good food (Nutro Max for Healthy Skin @ $45/bag), I found out the number 2 ingrediant is Wheat...which is the #1 food allergy in dog food.

After doing lots of research, I have started my new dog on the "Wellness" brand dog foods. No "high allergy" ingredients used and is rated 5 stars. You can get Wellness and Petco and other smaller pet stores (Pet Essentials, Complete Petmart, etc)

WELLNESS® - Healthy Dog and Cat Food

If you are really only near a Petsmart, the highest rated food they carry is Blue Buffalo.

Blue Buffalo — Discover the Best Dog Food and Cat Foods with our Pet Food Comparison Tools

Spending the extra $10/bag is a much cheaper alternative than a couple vet visits or pee accidents from the steroids (been there, done that). At the very least, you know that it won't be the dog food. Sign up online and both of these companies send you dog food coupons that can help negate the costs.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 AM

146 posts, read 474,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
You mention your dog has had diarrhea and gas when you've tried switching foods.
We switched our dog to Natural Balance as well. Her #2's are the best we've seen in years. No more diarrhea or gas. And, the itching and scratching and nibbling has all but disappeared.
Benadryl wasn't working either. The dog food switch really has made a difference.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Our German Shepherds used to have skin problems, we took the vets advise and switched to "Complete" dog food, sold at Southern States, an agricultural co-op. Southern States specializes in animal feeds, fertilizer and plant seeds. Our dogs now have lush silky coats, tons of energy, their fur feels more like a cat than a dog, and no more scratching and rubbing against things.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM

156 posts, read 407,680 times
You could also try acupuncture. There are vets in Charlotte who do acupuncture on animals, but I am not sure of who they are. I am sure you can find one somewhere online, though.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 AM

285 posts, read 800,027 times
we use the same remedy as lumbullo suggested

its a peroxide and borax solution. google for the ratio's. Selsun blue also helps with the skin on our dogs

but I am interested in finding out about the dog food change as well

Good luck

Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 AM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
There is a veterinary dermatology place on South Tryon. I've driven past it a million times, but never paid it the least bit of attention until I read this thread.

Southeast Veterinary Dermatology and Ear Clinic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte