U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM

50 posts, read 111,840 times

Advertisements

Our dog's allergies only crop up spring and summer (probably pollen/grass) but she got no help from Benadryl. She takes Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride and it takes care of the itching (and resulting hot spots and sores), and has no visible side effects. Because its a human medication the vet wrote me a prescription and I could shop it around to pharmacies for the best price (about $20-24 a month). She also takes Proin and eats Natural Balance limited ingredient foods. Both our dogs do wonderfully on that food. Blue Buffalo gave them horrible gas but I've heard good things from other people. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 718 times
Default Atopica

Aloha!
I have a little dog Gizmo, he is dealing with a painful, itchy leg. I have been to the Vet and to NO AVAIL!!! She even went as far as to say, "Well, I guess I can't do anything more for him". Then I am told about Atopica. Expensive, but well worth a try I figured, because Gizmo is WELL WORTH it!!! WELL, now he scratches more!!! His leg looks a bit better, but what is with the scratching??? This is an allergy pill. My poor Gizmo, he is on Iams Sensitive dog food, I don't know what else to do. I did find a Generic for for Atopica with on-line research, (not much cheaper), but why bother if he is STILL Scratching???? Anyone else have updates for our FURRY Loved Pals to help them with there skin problems???
Thank you!!

Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM

103 posts, read 216,950 times
Hi there SanibelSusan. It's odd that just his leg itches. We've determined our dog is allergic to fleas, although she doesn't actually have fleas, the vet said it takes just one bite to send most allergic dogs itching like mad. So she is prescribed with a flea/tick preventative drop that you apply to the back of their necks. Usually, this is used monthly, but our vet said to use it every 3 weeks.

Also, we've changed shampoos to Virbac Etiderm shampoo, and the Virbac Epi-soothe Cream Rinse. We bathe our dog every 3 weeks faithfully. This combination really helps with her itchiness.

Hopefully, this will help.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM

795 posts, read 3,928,709 times
You are in the wrong forum, my friends. You need to head over to the dog forum on City-Data. Tons of people over there have itchy dogs and have explored a variety of solutions, myself included. (I used prednisone, the occasional cortisone shot, and a special shampoo to beat the itchies in my old friend, personally.) Good luck...

Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM

92 posts, read 202,141 times
My collie also was doing a lot of scratching and licking. My vet (Dr. James at North Meck. Animal Hosp.) recommended allergy testing, which we did. Turns out he's allergic to grass, pollen, weeds, dustmites, leaves - almost all outdoors - though luckily not his food or the cat!
The lab made up an allergy serum for him, and he gets a shot every 2 weeks. It should be less in the winter - summer is when he really itches. You might want to try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte