Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 01:53 PM

40 posts, read 125,428 times

Advertisements

What is it like for a single, twentysomething in the davidson, cornelius, huntersville area? Are there a lot of things to do? I may be moving there but read the Huntersville is a family place and Charlotte isn't a great place for singles. What that mean? Does it mean there are no worthwhile guys and I'll never find a husband?
As far as activities what are there? I'm not really into bars and clubs but I like movies and coffee shops and music. What are the churches like, do have the a lot for twentysomethings?
I'd be happy for any information you have about quality of life for someone my age there.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM

108 posts, read 119,557 times
Davidson is rather limited for recreational activities for 20 somethings. It is a small college town with a couple of coffee places, two Asian restaurants, the Brick House which is a huge bar/restaurant that used to be a factory a century ago. The college part of town is quite quaint and nice to visit. But, you may find that there are limited places to hang out for people your age generally speaking. It is a town filled with liberals if you are into that sort of environment. On the bright side, it is pretty safe there and walkable in the many sections.

However, just down the road, across I#77 is Cornelius. Cornelius has loads of 20 somethings and lots of places to go have a beer, coffee shops, restaurants, places for dancing and music, and parks. All the cool people live there. They aren't academic snobs as many have become rich from actually working. Good hangout places are the XO Club, Galway Hooker, Lake Town, Midtown, Rusty Rudder, Double Door, Lake Town Sports Bar (Shops on the Green), Pruchuttos (excuse the spelling), Roxx, and the Lake Norman Wine Bar.

Personally, if I were in my 20s, I would be looking in Southend, Dilworth, or Uptown depending on finances, etc.. Plenty of activity there. Charlotte is a great place for singles. One is doing someting really wrong if he/she can't find what they want there. It is not a city of just bars, restaurants, and banks. It is a city with a well developed arts scene. There are several performing arts venues and museums. If you wish to meet someone outside of the bar scene, you might want to get involved in the arts and possible volunteer someplace. If one can't find it in Charlotte, chances are they aren't going to find it. Good luck.

Last edited by ArthurMcAlister; 03-20-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
If you're looking for a husband, try online resources such as match.com or eharmony. There are many, many churches in Charlotte and if you count the churches in the yellow pages for Cabarrus County, you should find at least 150. There's a big church in the Cornelius area--Grace Covenant. Lots of movie choices at Concord Mills Mall and other movie theater locations as well.

Sorry, ArthurMcAlister, I must disagree with your statement "If one can't find it in Charlotte, chances are they aren't going to find it." You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you are giving Charlotte entirely too much credit.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
If you don't mind driving outside of Davidson you'll have a lot more options. In my observations, most of the people who say Charlotte isn't good for singles aren't single. They see things differently because they have a married/family perspective. I also think some are using old reference points. The area continues to develop and 2010 Charlotte is different from 1990 Charlotte. There are more venues and opportunities now.

There are groups like Club Blume -
Quote:
A new social club for young adults in their 20s and 30s sponsored by the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. No dues! No officers! Just fun! CLUB BLUME members enjoy special offers like pre-show mixers, reserved seating with other young adults and other great perks
Meetup.com is a great way to meet new people. Here are some of the singles groups in the area. The Go Social Club is really active and has a variety of meetups. Although it's not a single's group you may enjoy the Active Charlotteans- No Bar Meets group.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 AM

108 posts, read 119,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Sorry, ArthurMcAlister, I must disagree with your statement "If one can't find it in Charlotte, chances are they aren't going to find it." You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you are giving Charlotte entirely too much credit.
Yes, you most certainly have a right to your opinion. There are however 2 million people in the Charlotte area. If by saying that I am giving the city too much credit for saying that any normal person can find what they want here is incorrect, I have no clue of the limitations for which you obviously allude. Many people in their twenties look other places than "churches" or "movie theaters." One certainly must be more versitile than that. What if the person doesn't go to church?
And how does one meet someone in a movie theater? A computer match-up service? LOL! Trust me, there is something wrong if one can't connect around here.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Please... elaborate. What are we missing (other than the rocky coast of maine)?

Old 03-21-2010, 05:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMcAlister View Post
Yes, you most certainly have a right to your opinion. There are however 2 million people in the Charlotte area. If by saying that I am giving the city too much credit for saying that any normal person can find what they want here is incorrect, I have no clue of the limitations for which you obviously allude. Many people in their twenties look other places than "churches" or "movie theaters." One certainly must be more versitile than that. What if the person doesn't go to church?
And how does one meet someone in a movie theater? A computer match-up service? LOL! Trust me, there is something wrong if one can't connect around here.
Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions. The OP asked about churches. She mentioned movies also. Go ahead and laugh. I know several people who have met through online resources like match.com and eharmony.com; they are not computer match up services; they are websites. One married couple who met in this manner were surprised to learn they lived fewer than three miles apart yet their paths had not crossed until they met online. I also know a married couple who met in a chat room--welcome to the 21st Century

Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Yep, my wife and I met on match.com and, come to find out, we only were living about 7-8 miles apart and had never crossed paths in a city of only ~200K.

To the OP - it's all in your expectations. If you come here expecting Chicago, New York or LA, you'll be disappointed. However, I would agree that if you can't find something here, you're not looking hard enough. Granted it might not happen as often, or at as many different locations/venues as larger cities, but I haven't wanted for any activity since we moved here 3 years ago.

This is not the artsy, coffeehouse and music mecca that Austin, Seattle or lots of other places are - but you *can* find great music and cool cafes here. You might have to drive to the other side of town to get there, but they are out there.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM

198 posts, read 642,136 times
I love Charlotte and I think it has a lot to offer young singles. Many of my friends are single and they have no complaints! However, if you're really looking to link up with other singles and have an active social life, I STRONGLY recommend that you don't look at living in Davidson.

I hear lots of great things about Davidson, and I believe it's a wonderful place to live and raise a family. However, 100% of the people I know who live there are married, have children, and live in nice subdivisions. I have NEVER met anyone who was single and lived there! If I ever met anyone single who lived in Davidson, my first response would be "Why?!"

If you have a job in Davidson, you could always live in Charlotte and reverse commute. As previously mentioned, Dillworth and uptown have a lot of condos and apartments to rent or buy, and there are tons of things to do within walking distance and with other young people.

If you're looking for social activities with a church, I'd recommend finding a larger church (no hard task around here!) because the larger the church, the more activities they tend to offer and the more people participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte