U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times

Advertisements

Johnson is gonna look pretty lame with those race-baiting comments when MJ makes a success of the team.

I agree that Charlotte is incestuous. I get the bulk of my business from outside Charlotte. It took me five years of steady networking to even make a headway here w/ clients. Folks did business w/ the same people they had been friends w/ in college, worked w/ elsewhere, etc.

But that has nothing to do with race. I guess if I were black, I could have blamed it on race . . . but that would not have been accurate - any more than Johnson's whining and blame-shifting is accurate.

I wonder when folks will be able to just say they don't like someone (or don't like doing business with them)- and not have it be assumed that it has a thing to do with race . . . ???

If Jordan is connected w/ the community here, he can turn things around. If he does, it will be b/c he is an engaging person with skills. It won't have a thing to do w/ his race.

Johnson needs to re-assess the chip on his shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 AM

146 posts, read 87,173 times
Default I'm OK with animal references

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
We also have another team name in Charlotte w/a similar animal reference...(Panthers...)

Some speculate it was chosen because of B Johnson's first name "bob(s) cats"....

who knows.....

anyhoo, MJ owns the team and if the team is successful, fans will attend bottom line....its already happening. That's one thing BJohnson couldn't get done....

I'm OK with animal references, but one of the reasons the Panthers are such a joke is the black and baby blue team colors...with uniforms that look like a HS prep team...no one takes them seriously

Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
first of all, the team's name is the "Bobcats" and the team colors are blue and orange...I expect that from a Christian Youth League team, not an NBA squad...no amount of finger-pointing can overcome those set backs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
one of the reasons the Panthers are such a joke is the black and baby blue team colors...with uniforms that look like a HS prep team...no one takes them seriously
That's rationale you'd hear on a middle school playground.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:28 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,923,518 times
Because the purple and gold of the Lakers or the red and black of the Bulls are somehow more grown up than blue and orange?

If the team is good, people will come to the games - regardless of who the owner is or how much of an a-hole he/she may be. You think all those folks go to Laker games because Dr. Jerry Buss is such a swell guy?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 PM

575 posts, read 1,349,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Pfft.
Turning the issue to race, I expected no less.
What a classy way to say thank you to those people who bought season tickets. Not too many looked like Johnson since he did bring up the issue.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,686,788 times
There is no reason why the city of Charlotte should assist minority businesses any more than they do anyone else. This is 2010 and blacks have as much if not more opportunity than anyone else thanks to Affirmative Action which is nothing more than racial discrimination against whites.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,044,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
What a classy way to say thank you to those people who bought season tickets. Not too many looked like Johnson since he did bring up the issue.
Let's all move on. Any discussion of race on this board juet goes south with a quickness. He is entitled to his opinion based on HIS experience. Oh well.

For the record, Bobcats season ticket holders are pretty diverse. That's a plus for Charlotte. There are quite a few that look like Johnon and now Jordan.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Let's all move on. Any discussion of race on this board juet goes south with a quickness. He is entitled to his opinion based on HIS experience. Oh well.

For the record, Bobcats season ticket holders are pretty diverse. That's a plus for Charlotte. There are quite a few that look like Johnon and now Jordan.
Why do you feel we need to "move on?" We are all on topic! The article is almost exclusively about being successful (or not) in Charlotte, if you are a minority.

And the quotes are from both Johnson and Foxx, both AA.

I am very curious as to why Foxx and Johnson both feel Charlotte is "closed" to them to any degree at all - more than it is closed to any of the rest of us.

And I also find it very interesting that our Mayor believes that by counting minority businesses, that is going to tell us all something about lending practices, openness to minority businesses, etc. If I were assessing a business, there is a whole lot more that goes into that equation than the race of the owner. People don't get loans for a lot of reasons - usually b/c their business plan is lousy and/or they don't have a track record.

Seeing as how I am a female, I guess I can just pass off any failures I feel I may have had - or roadblocks with financing or getting the big contracts that I was passed over for - by "blaming" it all on Charlotte's non-support of women.

I thought the way you assessed a business's success was based on how well the organization is run, not on the owner's color or sex.

If you are difficult to work with, have your own "attitude" that conflicts with others, are not good at judging trends, are not a good manager, have a shakey business plan, prefer hiring within your own race to support others who "look like you" rather than choosing the most qualified person regardless of age, sex, race, etc. - those are the things that are gonna cause your business to fail. That is true no matter what your sex or your race.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 PM

148 posts, read 192,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Pfft.
Turning the issue to race, I expected no less.

Not sure I follow this.
The Hornets had a great run, the place was packed (and I was there).
Hottest ticket in town for years.
We just got frustrated with Shinn and his antics and arrogance.

Then we get a new team in an arena we voted against and now will have to pay for.
I've never been to a single of Bobcats game, and went to hundreds or Hornets games.
I'm mad about the city defiance to the voters re the arena, we had a great venue.
Madison Square Garden has been in the same location since 1968 - 42 years.
Our second Coliseum ('Bojangles' on Independence is #1) from opening to demolition was only 19 years - someone is not planning correctly.

Besides, the NBA just doesn't excite me anymore, and it is not racial contrary to Mr. Johnson...
We did not vote against the Arena. We did not vote for the Arena. The City Council cast the only vote that mattered. If there had been a binding public vote taken on the Arena it would have been a good chance that it would have passed based upon other votes that built the old arenas since more than the naysayers would have taken the time to vote . You attended many Hornets games because voters approved of an Arena when others at that time thought that the old one was adequate. I lived in Norfolk VA. back when the Arena "the Scope" was built it is comparable to Bojangles Arena here. Norfolk VA at that time was a larger city than Charlotte. Norfolk's major arena is still the Scope over forty years later. But Charlotte in the last forty years has grown to be a larger city than Norfolk. You can't buy a child a pair of pants and get upset four years later because he has outgrown them.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
We did not vote against the Arena. We did not vote for the Arena. The City Council cast the only vote that mattered. If there had been a binding public vote taken on the Arena it would have been a good chance that it would have passed based upon other votes that built the old arenas since more than the naysayers would have taken the time to vote . You attended many Hornets games because voters approved of an Arena when others at that time thought that the old one was adequate. I lived in Norfolk VA. back when the Arena "the Scope" was built it is comparable to Bojangles Arena here. Norfolk VA at that time was a larger city than Charlotte. Norfolk's major arena is still the Scope over forty years later. But Charlotte in the last forty years has grown to be a larger city than Norfolk. You can't buy a child a pair of pants and get upset four years later because he has outgrown them.
YES WE DID VOTE AGAINST THE ARENA
- Google News Archive Search

I just think kinda funny history just keeps repeating itself. I never stood why the old arena was tore down
it wasnt because of age it was still rather new. I remenber the video tron crashing during Janet Jackson 1814 tour

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-21-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte