U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:12 AM

554 posts, read 1,315,819 times

Advertisements

Everyone can have an opinion, including MYSELF!!! This isn't me being defensive anymore than me stating that you are being defensive. It is healthy to disagree because in the end we could both learn something from eachother. I never said traditional marketing was BAD or not to do it. What I did say was that with any budget a local business should look at ONLINE advertising because its cost effective, its trackable, and best of all that's where most people/consumers spend their time!!!!

I haven't answered your question about my PERSONAL habits of clicking on banner ads and search sponsored ads because its not going to prove it. I do click on them personally, but I am one person; not a good example of how it does or does not work. To search further into whether or not anyone is clicking is to find out what is going on with the large population - and that is why I mentioned that google recieves 99% of it's revenue from ADVERTISEMENTS - if they make billions and billions of dollars annually than its safe for me say that more than myself is clicking, right???

I would never slam my competition, you misunderstood me from the beginning. I said that online is something you need to look at instead of the newspaper (the numbers don't lie and the newspaper is heading to extinction) - competition such as radio, television, DM, ect are all different types of advertising where you are branding your business name, search engine marketing puts your name in front of a more refined audience that is looking for your service, and in most times the consumer is near the buying stage when searching it. Again, branding advertising addes great added value. Any exposure for a business is a GOOD thing. But it depends on advertising budget and if they have a lot to invest then it would be something to consider for an added value. Now, of course there are exceptions to the rule - if you are running an event (Smirnoff Single Ladies Party for example) then radio would be a better place to advertise, especially through the local DJ's mouth, but the majority of the time advertising is to bring more consumers into their business - well, then why not put your business in front of the consumer? How else are you going to do this if the majority of people search online when they look for a product or service?!?! It's not the same type of advertising and it is more effective.

From what I understand is you have a very general idea of how online advertising works. Are you familar with remarketing and optimization? What are you familar with? Just like you adviced me to have an open mind in advertising, I challenge you to have an open mind and learn more about the internet. You stated that online advertising wasn't good for a local business and you were WRONG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 AM

76 posts, read 123,941 times
Amanda please let me know who you work for I will male sure I don't spend my dollars with an overaggressive know it all Yeah I am familiar with optimization and again I didn't want to go ppc because of the autobots that seem to be out there and the companies that have been caught inflating ppc googles rev is derived from a lot of things and key words are one of them. Did I see or read somewhere that google (which as you know owns the search market) has been steadily raising their rates? Why because they can. Similar to what the newspapers used to be able to get away with. There is also the threat that a large antitrust suit is brewing similar to what ms dealt with earlier this century before you knew everything. I read in a magazine called Wired (yeah the print version so I can choose what to engage) The COO believes that google only wants to do good and therin lies the problem. He also made one of the best statements I have ever heard a COO make "It's not the competition we have to worry about but our own arrogance" No offense Amanda but you seem to have a lot of the latter. You have argued that your way is the best and only go back and reread your posts.

I never said online advertising wasn't good for local businesses it depends on what the customer is trying to do with his ad dollar

Please stop posting about all you know because I have wasted enough of my time trying to open your eyes. So since I won't post back to your comments after this you have in the traditional sense shouted louder than me you have in your mind come out ahead. Good luck in your career I am sure you will have many more.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM

554 posts, read 1,315,819 times
I will enjoy responding to this with a final comment...

I would PROUDLY like to tell you what company I work for but I can't - it would risk my job and it would look as if I am trying to advertise for my company which is a big no-no to the "forum rules".

I asked you what you knew about online advertising and all you could tell me is that you know what optimization is? PLEASE, tell me more! Tell me your GREAT knowledge of the internet world so you can use it to say the others advertising options have a better chance to advertise a business. So you know what optimization is? Great, do you know how it works? Do you know how my company optimizes? What about remarketing? You didn't mention you know what this is? I'll assume you do because after all you are the "advertising guru" right? - remarketing is huge for online advertising. So even if we do agree that it is similar to the purpose of traditional advertising (which isn't a bad thing - branding isnt a bad thing), it still has another added benefit and if you know what remarketing is you'd know that. If you don't know what it is you should learn it before trying to argue with me about online advertising.

This whole discussion started because YES you did say online advertising wasn't a good way to advertise for local businesses, look below please to refresh your memory....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof2many View Post
On line works for everything but local unless you want to throw a ton of money at it. Online people have to know what they are looking for and then you better hope you are on the first page of search or you won't be seen.

I could continue but I'll stop, I'm done "preaching" to you....but don't get it wrong, I don't preach to business owners, I INFORM them of what I can do for them and then they can make up their own mind. I don't twist their arm to buy from me....

This is my final post on this ridiculous discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte