Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Speedway owners Bob Mack and Ray Evernham want to rezone 27.5 acres for a parking expansion and track renovation projects.

Speedway rezoning

;;

;
;

;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Wow Sunny!

I can't totally condemn the opposition since I don't live around there, but it sure seems like there is a whole lot of irrational, NIMBYism going on out there. It seems like the track management tried to put on a good faith showing of how they wanted to improve things and the response was general belligerence.

It sounds like those people would complain about the siren from the fire trucks if their own house was burning down. What a shame.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Wow Sunny!

I can't totally condemn the opposition since I don't live around there, but it sure seems like there is a whole lot of irrational, NIMBYism going on out there. It seems like the track management tried to put on a good faith showing of how they wanted to improve things and the response was general belligerence.

It sounds like those people would complain about the siren from the fire trucks if their own house was burning down. What a shame.
That's pretty much how I read it. Seems the owners are willing to work with neighbors.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Speedway owners Bob Mack and Ray Evernham want to rezone 27.5 acres for a parking expansion and track renovation projects.

Speedway rezoning

;;

;
;

;
Thanks for this!

Didn't know there was a Speedway over there.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Lorie Walker, of Maiden, said it did not seem to matter what the speedway owners said or did. The opponents did not want to hear anyone’s voices but their own.
“Those people were very rude,” she said. “Now, there were a few people that handled themselves professionally, but overall, I think that group was the most rudest group of people I have ever dealt with in a long time.”
I wonder what people expected when they moved next to the facility? From reading the article nothing that the track owners were proposing was going to increase the noise. It all seemed to be about improving safety & increasing parking. I hope their rezoning bid passes.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Thanks for this!

Didn't know there was a Speedway over there.

Its like Nascar raw good racing old fashion style

Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 PM

468 posts, read 827,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Its like Nascar raw good racing old fashion style
Most hometown tracks have better racing.

It is a shame to see some of them disappear and they provide good entertainment for a reasonable price without all the hollywood atmosphere that big money brings into the sport.

Drivers are more accessible and there are lots of rivalries that make for good fun.

A lot of Nascar fans would rather be at their hometown races on Saturday night than sit home and watch the big money guys and gals on TV.

Support your local racetrack!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post

It is a shame to see some of them disappear and they provide good entertainment for a reasonable price without all the hollywood atmosphere that big money brings into the sport.

Drivers are more accessible and there are lots of rivalries that make for good fun.

A lot of Nascar fans would rather be at their hometown races on Saturday night than sit home and watch the big money guys and gals on TV.

That might be something fun to do this summer

Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post

I think the nearest to us would be at Millbridge? Rowan county on HWY 150
Have you been to the concord speedway-not Lowes, the local one?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM

468 posts, read 827,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I think the nearest to us would be at Millbridge? Rowan county on HWY 150
Have you been to the concord speedway-not Lowes, the local one?
I was there several years ago when we were doing testing on a car.

Never attended a race there but the track has a loyal following.

I've been to so many of the big race tracks around the country I haven't had time to go to the small ones. LOL

I did go to a modified race in Bowman Gray in Winston-Salem last year and had a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte